Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 12 hour pairs @ 2412
  • Milese
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve entered the Exposure 2412 as a pair in the 12 hour event.

I’ve done a fair bit of racing in my time, but mostly road / TT / CX but only one XC race and nothing like this.

Any advice or reflection on how it went for you, how you think best to approach it, things to be prepared for etc please?

So far the plan is….

Fit new brake pads
    Take in turns of 1 lap each
    Ride flat out
    Eat lots between laps

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Alternate laps. Eat carbs between each lap. Fresh kit for each lap.

40mpg

Eat real food, not gels etc for that duration unless you have cast iron bowels or welcome emergency evacuations.

Hope it doesn’t rain.

Treat each lap like a cx race.

Move around on rest laps.

Hope it doesn’t rain some more.

40mpg

Oh and make sure your partners expectations match yours. One touring and one going for a place can lead to stress late in the race!

Hope it doesn’t rain.

Kryton57

Alternate laps. Eat carbs between each lap. Fresh kit for each lap.

Last time I did a pairs over 12 (Gorrick, 3rd) it was this albeit I didn’t bother changing kit, but it was a case of smashing carbs then smashing a lap continuously. At it approached 6pm we did do a double lap to allow our parter time to have a naturally timed “meal” to support the remainder of the race.

stumpy01

I only did the 24hr as a team of 4, so perhaps not exactly comparable.

I would echo the comments above though.

– Make sure you eat & drink when off the bike.
    – I would take my own food & not necessarily rely on the on-site catering. They used to have a massive catering tent (quaver catering?) who did a wide range of stuff. That stopped quite a while ago though & the food options for the last few years I did were a bit hit & miss.
    – If you want a trackside camping spot, get there as early as you can. Every year people seem to arrive earlier & earlier & then fence off huge sections of the camping area so they can build a massive camping village when all their mates turn up & have every tent strung out along the trackside, rather than having a gazebo at trackside & then tents etc. stuffed behind.
    – Plenty of clean kit. We did it for 10 years in a row & more often than not it rained.
    – We used to do single laps in the daylight & then swap to double laps overnight. This won’t be relevant for you, but I have always wondered if it would be better to double lap. Yes, you work for longer, but you get twice as much rest. Depending how fast you are round a lap, you will not have long to get back from the change area to your tent, sort out any mechanical issues/clean/re-lube the bike, get changed, re-hydrate & eat, get drink prepped for the next stint & get back to the changeover area. Definitely something to bear in mind.

– Take wellies & brollies for before & after the race. Just in case.

Keep fingers crossed it doesn’t rain!

hels
    Free Member

Where is the venue? If it is a flat field in England and rain is predicted you might want to singlespeed the bike. If it is Fort William and rain is predicted you may want to get your will up to date.

But in seriousness I did pairs in 24 hour events a few times, there are loads of strategies, but single laps for 8 hours, double laps for 8 hours then single laps for 8 hours was at least easy to remember.

And pack lots of spare kit (clean jersey for the podiums).

A mechanic and somebody to cook you meals is ace – depends how serious you are!

A lap board was also a life-saver, when person A comes in they write on the board what time they got back to the tent, you will get total brain fade in the middle of the night and will only have yourself to blame if you forgot to write and the board and have no idea when you are due out again.

Have fun!

mjsmke

Take comfortable chairs and shelter. It can get cold there so a few blankets and jackets will come in handy.

Laps in previous years were about 7 miles. First lap will be slow due to the amount of people at the start. Consider double laps to get more rest.

Food that’s ready to eat is a good idea; you might not want to cook at 9pm when it’s dark and you’re tired.

Two lights; one on your bars, and one on your helmet. Spare batteries too.

Most people are there to have fun and don’t take it too seriously. I just see it as a chance to ride as part of an event all day.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You won’t feel like eating between laps so make sure whatever you take you can get down – otherwise you’ll be miserable.

In the past I’ve eaten bowls of Frosties with cow juice then napped for 40 mins, that was on a team of 3 for 24 with long lap times (90mins +). Then on a team of 2 for 6 I was lucky to be doing it with Torq so we had all their high tech goodies to nom on! Laps were about 45 mins so just enough time to eat & get changed. Another time I don’t remember what I ate so???

steve_b77
    Free Member

Fit new brake pads
    Take in turns of 1 lap each
    Ride flat out
    Eat lots between laps

No.1 – yeah good idea.

No.2 – yeah a good idea given the length of the lap this year.

No.3 – basically yeah if you want to be at the sharp end, it’s essentially gonna be 6 back to back XC races each (I reckon on about 55mins to 1hr 5mins per lap) plus one for the unlucky sod who rides the odd number ones. In 2019 me and my team mate doubled up as they were short laps (11.5km each) and ended up at around 1hr 21mins for each double, my team mate was about 5 mins faster per double so we were a pretty good match, we ended up 2nd placed Vet Pair and 5th Overall.

No.4 – Eating loads between laps is a seriously bad idea unless you want to leave your guts all over the course. I can survive / race on gels, bars, bananas and energy drinks for 12hrs with ease, even more so for pairs, take it onto 24hr solo and I throw in a bit of pasta literally thrown down my neck and some Red Bull, more often than not accompanied by a double gel as dawn breaks until the end! The most important thing is to eat well in the days leading up and then lay off the carbs for 24hrs or so before hand otherwise you’ll be bloated.

Fresh kit for each lap

only if it’s shite weather, last time out at 24:12 I didn’t change kit, just took my jersey off each lap to dry off a bit, I find shorts kinda bed in over that time and you’re that knackered at the end of it it doesn’t really matter anyway.

hels
    Free Member

Re eating – IME everybody is different. I have darkened the podium on a few of these events back in the day, one memorably fuelled by Greggs sausage roles for a long section. I did partially vom one up at one point, but managed to keep the calories on board. The longer the event the slower the pace and the more you can cope with real food. Living off carb drinks and gels would have me in the bushes in an unladylike fashion.

Pacing is key – ride at a pace you can keep up for 24 hours and don’t get dragged along in the First Lap Madness – you will spend the rest of the event passing those people…

Another thing is mental toughness. No matter how bad you feel so is everybody else, you just have to hold on a bit longer.

And again, its fun, honest!

jam-bo

Where is the venue?

plymouth. end of july. could be monsoonal, could be scorching. probably both.

Sonor
    Free Member

Consider double laps to get more rest.

When I did dusk to dawn at thetford as a pair, we did alternate laps all the way through, we just wanted to keep active through the 12hrs, also Thetford in September was cold.

Kryton57

Hes doing 12hrs pair, not 24.

richardk
    Free Member

Depends on lap distance, some of the earlier Facebook posts from the organisers indicated 40-50 mins per lap, so our team (admitedly 4) are looking at 2 laps before coming in.  If it is closer to 1 hour, then we’ll switch to 1 lap.

I know they aren’t publishing the course as they don’t want people riding it (its private land), but it would be good to know a distance and approx time…

You’ll be surprised how much you recover in your rest periods, don’t be afraid to go flat out on your laps.

dai1983
    Free Member

Im doing the 12 hour solo and the plan is to keep at it steady with prep so that I spend minimal time fussing when I get back in.

Have asked my lady friend to help out but she thinks it’s a ruse to get her in the sack.

Intetestingnto to know about the camping situation as want o get close to the track. There’s a few from working doing it but they’re all paired up already.

Kryton57

Intetestingnto to know about the camping situation

I had ask via social media based on a concern that the site is invited to be used all week. Apparently the camp site is moved up to the top of the hill, and they’ll be reserved trackside spaces for solo’s. I’m not confident that arriving Friday with a family tent will allow me to find a decent trackside spot tbh.

stumpy01

dai1983

Intetestingnto to know about the camping situation as want o get close to the track. There’s a few from working doing it but they’re all paired up already.

Normally, solo riders have their own camping area so perhaps it’s not so much of a problem for those riders.
    I’ve never been mad enough to attempt it solo though, so don’t know how much camping area is allocated for solo riders.

mjsmke

I’m riding solo but not bothered about trackside camping. It only takes a few more seconds to get to your camp if you’re further in from from edge of the field.

dai1983
    Free Member

Was think that it would be easier to identify when I start getting knackered and the light starts fading.

devbrix
    Free Member

Over the years have done 12 and 24hr solo and 24 mixed pairs (laughably we got a podium on that one). If it’s properly raining (I know its not quite August but here in Devon August has the second highest rainfall to December) it will be muddy and slippery so you might want to consider a choice of tyres, spare brake pads, drivetrain even and lots of riding kit. The mud at Newnham is very claggy and sticks to the bike to the extent it gums up the drivetrain and cleaning equipment is helpful to have. They do amend the course depending on conditions. One year was baking hot and hydration and pacing was key – favourite year as was really warm throughout the night. Great event!

Kryton57

a choice of tyres, spare brake pads, drivetrain even and lots of riding kit.

From where exactly? 😀

nickc

I hate pairs, it’s the worst of all worlds, Solo you can just chugg around at your own pace, fours/team you get a decent break so you’re mostly fresh, had some rest and eaten some food and maybe even there’s enough time for a kip.

Pairs is awful, laps are normally 45m to 60mins so not really enough time to get back from the finish area, get some food, change clothes if it’s shitting it down, and back to change over again, and your legs are mostly semi fried all the time. So IMO, double laps from the get go, think about trebles during the long night shift. But really either kill your team mate so you can solo it, or recruit 2 more idiots to do it with you, it’s much/some more fun.

Pairs…not good, everything else, slightly less not good.

devbrix
    Free Member

From where exactly? 😀

Kryton57 Caught me reminiscing from a halcyon age of heavily discounted parts from CRC. I’ve gone all dreamy eyed now 🥲

stumpy01

dai1983
    Free Member
    Was think that it would be easier to identify when I start getting knackered and the light starts fading.

Get one of those whippy flags on a pole, or a large balloon on a pole. Or just some colourful bunting you can put in your tent/pit area.

Rainbow Banner

Milese
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, really helpful and lots to think about. Really looking forward to it.

Yeah, its the Newnham event. I’m local so understand what the weather can be like so will keep my fingers crossed.

We will race it, but wont be threatening the podium, more wanting to compete with another team in our club.

Is it too late to start a diet and training?

snownrock

Not much to add too above. My initial thought would be to do double laps throughout, with single laps you don’t really get much actual rest time before you need to get going again. But maybe this applies less to a 12hr race, my experience is 24hr. This is why I ended up preferring solo, just keep chugging along.

I always found organisation and prep is key, focus on making your pit life easier. The riding tends to look after itself.

Saccades
    Free Member

Unable to leave Ireland to race this year. gutted.

I’ve moved from torchbearer to 24 pairs over the years. Down the far end of the site there has pretty much always been camping next to the track – they adjust the number of wriggles in the track.

We tried doing a double lap and both hated it, think we had got too into single sprint laps. Single laps for the win.

I highly recommend a very strong table that won’t fall over when a bike is clumsily rested on it. A strong, comfy chair. Something like a thick dryrobe for hanging around whislt waiting for your partner to come in. During the heatwave 2 years ago my teeth were chattering as a started the first climb during the night laps.

12 pairs is probably the easiest long race as it’s only a 6 hour spin.

DM me your email address and I’ll send you my kits lists and write ups (missing the last two, must complete them at some point) Might give you an idea or help you not forget something.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘12 hour pairs @ 2412’ is closed to new replies.