Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • 12 chains a year??
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

0.5% wear is pretty damn as new, time to change bike shops OP,  as this ones ripping the piss.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1) Putoline, I lube my chain less frequently than some on here change theirs!

2) If you live in the Peak  (It’s singular! Not Peaks! You don’t go drop your bike of at a shop in the Sheffields do you?) then different rules apply, yes SRAM recommend changing your chain at 0.75 if you live in the dry dustiness of California with their test riders, in the Peak you change your chain and cassette together sometime in late spring and accept that it’s well over 0.75 by the time winter comes around at which point the grinding paste that makes up the trails has more of an impact on shifting than chain wear.

philjunior
    Free Member

The biggest ring is made of  aluminium so it wears quickly

Not really true – the chain sits across a larger number of teeth so causes less wear the bigger the ring is. Unless the chain is worn…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spooky_b329

I have a chain checker but I only use it to amuse myself how far I can wear my chain and still not have problems.  I’m very strongly in the ‘run it until it starts causing problems and then change everything’ camp.  The chain checker is well beyond its measuring capability on all my bikes (except perhaps my newest, which at 9 months old is probably well overdue according to the checker)

robowns
    Free Member

Do people really change chains that often? I’d probably get 2000 offroad miles out of one

enigmas
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty impressed with the longevity of GX stuff, my GX eagle is 700 miles in and chain wear isn’t at 0.5 yet despite half of those miles being through some disgusting conditions.

A mate who mainly rides dyfi (and it’s horrific grinding paste grit) got 1500 miles out of an 11 speed GX set up and sold the bike with it still functioning great

Saccades
    Free Member

Christ… Throw the chain checker in the bin. With 3 rings it financially made sense maybe but with 1x and narrow wide rings does it ****.

Don’t think k you can compare rolhoff, my alfine lasted 7 years of being ignored. Only changed because it got embarrassing.

jimw
    Free Member

My 2013 Canyon is still on it’s original chain, cassette and chainrings. XT 2×10. I have a few bikes but it is the one I use most often, especially in the winter. It still changes sweetly and whilst it is obviously worn, I don’t intend changing it until I get issues. Just got lucky I guess.

i always use wet lube and give it a wipe every now and again.

walleater

Pretty well all the bikes I have in my work stand these days have 1x drivetrains. It’s not so much the cassette that gets worn by a slightly ‘stretched’ chain, it’s the chain ring. Makes sense though as people with 30 / 32t rings up front pedalling up steep grades in a 50t rear sprocket is putting a far bit of pressure on the ring. And of course you never shift out of it unlike the old days of 2x or 3x. And of course (again….) you can just ride the whole drivetrain into the grave and replace all at once if you want. Just gotta figure out which is more economical. But I’ve certainly ridden plenty of bikes where we’ve changed the chain at not much beyond 0.5 and the front ring feels like ass.

No-one is trying to rip you off. It’s up to you if you want the latest greatest ultra wide range drivetrain. I had Sram Eagle for a few months but am honestly happy to have resurrected my hardtail with 10sp 1x and the chain, cassette and ring was hilariously cheap, and I don’t really miss the range toooo much.

molgrips
    Free Member

A fresh cassette  much nicer to ride with than a knackered one. Smoother and shifts better. So I’m in the regular chain changing camp, but then I am on 9sp still. Having said that if cassettes were £150 each I’d definitely be looking after them.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘12 chains a year??’ is closed to new replies.