Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 11sp XT front mech with SRAM 10sp drivetrain- will it work?
  • Shackleton

As for the title really. Does anyone have any real world experience of whether a Shimano 2×11 front mech will work with a 2×10 drivetrain?

Please don’t ask why, I may scream or cry, but basically it is down to the poor adjustment range of high direct mount front mechs and a desire to use a different size chain ring from that dictated by the fascist fucknuggets at SRAM.

Shackleton

Any one? Someone must have tried it. Or heard that their mate’s wife’s tennis partner’s cleaner’s dad has done it.

I bet if I put Jeremy Corbyn/Clarkson/Vine in the title it would be on page 20 by now and I’d have been ban-hammered for starting threads without due care and attention.

And although I guess I still wouldn’t have had an answer, at least I would feel less like I was shouting into the dark void of the internet vainly hoping that somebody, anybody would shout back and let me know I’m not alone…….sigh.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry mate, we’ve all gone 1x now.

You’re on your own.

Shackleton

Sadly this is for the wife’s 29er and we live in Scotland with real hills. There is no way she would give up her granny ring as having a very expensive walking stick for half of every ride seems a bit of a waste of money.

I just wished Whyte had use a real mech rather than the direct mount, user unfriendly, no latitude, you will use what we say not what you want, mech. To$$ers.

grey

On a Shimano setup the 2×10 mech works with the 2×11, so I would think it works the other way as well.

Shackleton

Thanks, may be worth a try then. I was worried that the cage on the 11sp would be narrower for the thinner chain and lead to chain rub. I can’t find dimensions anywhere to check though.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Designed to be used with 24/34 rings so pretty close to your requirements, chain rub might be an issue?

Shackleton

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. May give it a go and stretch the gap a bit if necessary.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘11sp XT front mech with SRAM 10sp drivetrain- will it work?’ is closed to new replies.