Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 11sp Sram shifter with Shimano rear mech
  • kimbers

Im led to believe pull ratios are so close that this setup works

Anyone here rocking the Sramano drivetrain?

nickfrog
    Free Member

They may be close but it doesn’t take much to have shit shifting. But what’s the point of complicating things when a shifter is so cheap ?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

when a shifter is so cheap ?

My guesses –

A) Because a direct replacement of the [broken] sram mech isn’t cheap, nor is an equivalent level shimano shifter.

B) Because shimano levers are horrid.

I’d be happy to run an xtr mech on my xx1 shifters if it would work. After years running sram the shimano levers make me cringe. (Actually it didn’t take years, an afternoon running sram on a demo bike made me hate the xtr shifters on both my bikes the instant i got back on them years ago. I didn’t buy the bike i demoed but ended up with two sets of x0 9 speed costing me more than the bike i looked at and relegating my shimano to the spares box within a week. Shimano pods just don’t suit my hands, in prefer their drop bar stuff though.)

shaley
    Free Member

They work perfectly together. 😀

vincienup
    Free Member

Personal ergonomics FTW. Also a fan of Shimano STi’s and SRAM mtn  pods but not a fan of Shimano mtn shifters.

If it’s a broken SRAM mech, what’s up?  The b screw issues are pretty cheap and easy to fix and make go away, and if it’s pulleys they should be fixed under warranty.

I’ve heard the idea that the 11sp stuff is interchangeable too, but I’ve heard and tried so many crazy cross-compatibility claims over the years that have led me to understand that different people simply have different opinions on what acceptable shift performance is…  if you had the stuff and didn’t mind wasting an inner cable finding out then fine, but I probably wouldn’t deliberately buy this combo…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Shimano 10 is a better match from what i can see here – that took a washer and a bodge to marry to sram 11s pods iirc

kimbers

My SRAM nx died, clutch failed

SRAM (after 10 days) have agreed to warranty but no replacement available until 15th Oct !

I’ve got a ride on Saturday, I can get an xt rear mech for from evans (lighter than nx, lower profile & free with clubcard vouchers) in stock near my work tomorrow, no SRAM in stock.

Agreed a shifter isn’t that much, but I feel I’m being stiffed a bit already . I don’t mind the gx shifter I’ve got, tho miss 2 way release.

joebristol

Couldn’t you get a Sram GX mech for about £60-£70 if you look around and go next day delivery? Surely if Sram can’t provide an Nx replacement for over a month (mental!) they should send you a GX instead.

kimbers

Happy to switch to Shimano tbh, SRAM mechs always die on me (tho last time warranty was much swifter)

Evans will price match CRC… So 54 quid for an xt seems good

transition1
    Free Member

I am running the new Sunrace derailleur with my Sram X1 11 speed shifter, my GX died but got new B-screw kit to get it working again however I like the Sunrace derailleur.

shaley
    Free Member

I have run both Sram mech with Shimano shifter, and Shimano mech with Sram shifter.  (As well as Sram and Sram, and Shimano and Shimano).

I have never noticed the difference.  It all works together.

kimbers

Well Evans stock indicator lied, so I’ve stuck on my old 10 speed zee with a rad cage, but it seems to shift fine, bit noisier tho

kimbers

Did a couple of rides with the 10 speed mech & it worked fine, definitely bit clunky.

Evans eventually got me the right 11 speed mech (once they’d figured out what the difference between SGS & GS was 🙄)

But shifting with SRAM GX shifter & xt mech seems perfect, done a 12k ride and it’s been great

asbrooks

This is good to know as I keep catching my GX mech, I expect it to give up the ghost at some point.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘11sp Sram shifter with Shimano rear mech’ is closed to new replies.