Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 251 total)
  • 112mph
  • slowoldman

Surely it’s about time we weaned ourselves off personal transport and embraced public transport. With a bit of thought and political will

Don’t hold your breath.

zanelad
    Free Member

I’d be interested in what cars are driven by all those tryimg their damndest to out do each other by forcing the slowest maximum speed on every else.

You all got 1 litre Micras ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You all got 1 litre Micras ?

For me whatever I hire for the trip, though might be an age thing that means I don’t feel the urge to break every speed limit I see. Still waiting for the need to get over 80 these days.

richmtb

limit 0-60 times to no quicker than 15s

And make every short slip road more dangerous overnight. Make long A-road journeys absolute torture as convoys form behind the slowest vehicle.

I don’t really have a problem with limiting top speed, but limiting acceleration is just stupid

Drac

Over 100mph is bloody fast you cover a lot of ground in a shot time and those little movements are massively exacerbated, breaking in an emergency at that speed can make your arse twicth. Way over 100mph and it is much worse again it can be unnerving especially watching other people make a move that means you need to make a decision, people can’t or don’t realise just how fast you can be approaching.

Seems sensible to put a limit on cars despite it being quite good fun.

0-60 speeds should be swift to allow quicker manoeuvres such as overtaking.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

WTF my 68hp Toyota IQ does 0-60 in 14 seconds and I’ve been merging onto a slip road twice a day for the last 4 years without causing a massive pile up.

How do you think HGV’s cope?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How do you think HGV’s cope

I think it has something to do with looking and drivers being cooperative, seems like it’s a good idea that we could give a go.

tomhoward

lol, what about 0-59? IIRC that would make them slower accelerating that any new car available in the UK today.

Faster than speed limit for overtaking? Fine, it allows you to overtake quicker than if you were limited to the road limit. eg if someone is doing indicated 55-58, it would take ages if you were only allowed to do indicated 60. (eg lorries on a dual carriageway at 55 vs 56 mph) do an indicated 65/70, and you probably only hit 60-62

Blanket limit of 70 of all vehicles? I hope you don’t ever find yourself in an emergency situation where the emergency services don’t help, but time is a factor. For example, getting to see a dying relative in time. Most of the time speed doesn’t matter, but when it does, it really does.

Kuco

HGV driver looking? that’s a rare thing they normally just pull out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Faster than speed limit for overtaking? Fine, it allows you to overtake quicker than if you were limited to the road limit. eg if someone is doing 55-58, it would take ages if you were only allowed to do 60. (eg lorries on a dual carriageway at 55 vs 56 mph)

How far do you need to be going for the 5mph to make a difference?

wwaswas

The issues with merging are more to do with traffic exceeding the posted speed limits rather than merging traffic being unable to accelerate up to speed in time – the lengths on Motorways are determined by the traffic speed being merged into and are designed to give HGV’s enough distance to achieve that before merging.

PJM1974
    Free Member

112mph? Don’t see it being an issue. While most of you might have the mental aptitude and skill to keep a modern vehicle on the road, please remember that even if you’re of only average intellect. Count the number of bright, clever people you know, then multipy the result by -1. Scary isn’t it?

Yes, I have driven faster than 112mph, no I’m not telling you where or when. No, I have no desire to do it again, I’m rather fond of my driving license.

tomhoward

How far do you need to be going for the 5mph to make a difference?

far enough for frustration to build and for the driver behind to do something stupid, like take the inside lane on a right hand bend.

csb

All this nonsense about needing 90mph capability to get yourself out of trouble. If you’re going at 70mph and see trouble and accelerate, you’ll have hit the trouble by the time you reach 75 let alone 90.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I don’t really have a problem with limiting top speed, but limiting acceleration is just stupid

Indeed..limitimg acceleration speeds would be a sure way to make the roads more dangerous.

kcr
    Free Member

That stat about the XC90 was investigated on Radio 4 a while back, and the conclusion was that no-one had died in one, but yes, other people had indeed died in some of the collisions the XC90s were involved in.
    I’m sure it’s easier to make your vehicle safer relative to others if it is bigger and stuffed full of extra safety equipment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are a high percentage of accidents or deaths caused by people going over 112mph I wonder?

Phrasing the question like that, probably not.

Are a higher percentage of accidents or deaths caused by people going over 112mph I wonder?

Is probably a yes though.

what about driving on the autobahn? seems ridiculous to me.

How many additional polar bears does a frustrated middle aged german in a 20 year old Renault Espace kill whilst having an imaginary race with the rest of the traffic doing 110-120kmh?

lol, what about 0-59? IIRC that would make them slower accelerating that any new car available in the UK today.

An empty transit van is 15s in the real world, put a ton of stuff in the back and……. the slip roads of the A34 are littered with the spent carcases of white vans as a result, or not, I dunno.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Do away with private ownership and then you start paying for the amount of time you actually need and use the vehicle

We have this system now….. They’re called taxis.

Daffy

My car only does 93mph.

jimw
    Free Member

There has been a speedlimiter to about 112mph in all cars produced indigenously sold in Japan since 2004.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

far enough for frustration to build and for the driver behind to do something stupid, like take the inside lane on a right hand bend.

I’m starting to see a theme here, the most dangerous car is the one driven by a person.

funkmasterp

Volvo XC90 you say? Automatic breaking (of limbs) you say?

Fixed!

I’d be interested in what cars are driven by all those tryimg their damndest to out do each other by forcing the slowest maximum speed on every else.

Err…any car and 70mph.

tomhoward

I’m starting to see a theme here, the most dangerous car is the one driven by a person.

Autonomous cars for all then. That’s only weeks away isn’t it? Which is the best one for bangernomics fans?

matt_outandabout

I’m happy with that. I’d happily have my car restricted to max speed limit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Autonomous cars for all then. That’s only weeks away isn’t it? Which is the best one for bangernomics fans?

Well there is the solution of restricting them until people prove they can act responsibly 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

It at least raises the issue, hopefully in due course the limiter will come down. Outside the autobahn, is there anywhere where it is legal to exceed 130kmph/80mph. GPS isn’t perfect you could be on a dual carridgeway next to a 30mph housing estate, mixing 30/70 traffic isn’t ideal.

epicyclo

Dezb

Are a high percentage of accidents or deaths caused by people going over 112mph I wonder?

Dunno, but the odds of survival at those speeds aren’t pretty.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Surely it’s about time we weaned ourselves off personal transport and embraced public transport. With a bit of thought and political will, we could have a fully integrated public transport system that can deliver goods and occupants anywhere in the UK? And then we could wizz up motorways at 150mph in safety and comfort.

Anywhere? Really? Don’t tell me, let me guess, you live in, or near, a major urban centre. Am I right?

Exactly. I really hate this sort of sanctimonious nonsense that also ignores the general crapness of public transport anywhere other than major cities.

Let’s take an example – my current workplace isn’t even accessible by public transport, at least not without walking for about 3 miles each way from the nearest bus stop and making a bus journey that involves multiple changes and takes 2 hours, instead of the 30 minutes it takes to drive.

Personal transport will never go away – it will just take different forms.

JP

bikebouy
    Free Member

I see my comments brought out the speed merchants amongst you.

Take it to the track, leave other considerate drivers out of your own personal race track mentality.

Thanks.

Blah blah, limiting speed won’t stop speeding blah di blah.

You are right.

Should take the licenses off speeding drivers for life. They then can catch public transport for the rest of their lives. Repent in their own time.

Public highways are for all sensible normal human beings to go about their own business whilst observing the law of the land and road.

Race tracks they are not, they are not your own personal bullish ribbons of tarmac to do as you please.

Nothing wrong with 0-60 times of 15s unless of course you can support your arguments without resorting to “but, whatabouttary, but this but that but what about overtaking Grandma” ? Histerical nonsense.

Carry on, you can get all uppity trying in vein supporting your own “but it’s my road, I pay road tax don’t you know” horsecrap..

funkmasterp

Well said bikebouy. You do know that most of the people that will disagree with you are blessed with reflexes approximately one million times faster than ours though don’t you? They are also expert drivers and have a sixth sense, a bit like Spider-Man, that will alert them to any unseen dangers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

All IMO of course 😘

Love you all 🤗

jamesoz

I spend most of my day bumbling around the Uk in a Transit, at or below the speed limit. You’d be surprised how few people actually speed by a large margin, also the speed reported by the speedometer is rarely the actual speed, Most over report.
    Most of the accidents I’ve seen at motorway speeds are when vehicles are running at close lowish speeds, or lack of attention when everything stops.

Regardless all they really need to do to cut accidents immediately is disable mobile phones within arms reach of the driver.

tomhoward

I see my comments brought out the speed merchants amongst you.

Not me, I don’t drive/have a license.

*wonders what might have been had AC decided not to test the cobra on the M1, thus forcing the government to pick an arbitrary number based on the technology of the day for folk to be all sanctimonious about, 50 odd years later. What if they’d picked a nice round 100, would that now be fine? What about 50?

Regardless all they really need to do to cut accidents immediately is disable mobile phones within arms reach of the driver.

That’d suck for passengers in anything shorter than a people carrier…

molgrips
    Free Member

People get impatient and frustrated when they expect to be able to go faster and can’t. UK drivers are fine with being able to do 85 all day, that would drive a German rep mad.

The point about these kinds of restrictions is that the remove the possibility, so you have no choice to just sit down and relax.

jamesoz

That’d suck for passengers in anything shorter than a people carrier…

It would, but if you’re serious about road safety it’d make a much bigger difference than tinkering with maximum speeds/acceleration.

slowoldman

How do you think HGV’s cope?

Size?

These days I drive a Passat Bluemotion fairly gently. I enjoy watching the average fuel consumption rather than rev counter, but still enjoy driving and have no interest in autonomous cars. Prior to the lottery draw at the weekend I was wondering whether to go for an 812 Superfast or a GTC4Lusso. Couldn’t decide but didn’t win anyway.

tomhoward

People get impatient and frustrated when they expect to be able to go faster and can’t. UK drivers are fine with being able to do 85 all day, that would drive a German rep mad.

The point about these kinds of restrictions is that the remove the possibility, so you have no choice to just sit down and relax.

How would that change anything though? As everyone would expect everyone else to put their foot to the floor and do the limit everywhere (much as they do now) it’s when folk don’t that the frustration will kick in as they won’t be able to get past, unless they try a risky move, or one that takes ages, hoping they make it in time.

funkmasterp

You just need a modified Magnavolt from that advert in Robocop. Try to break the speed limit, use your phone or drive like a dickhead and……

Magnavolt

mikewsmith
    Free Member

*wonders what might have been had AC decided not to test the cobra on the M1, thus forcing the government to pick an arbitrary number based on the technology of the day for folk to be all sanctimonious about, 50 odd years later. What if they’d picked a nice round 100, would that now be fine? What about 50?

It’s one that the rest of the world seems to have settled around though, must be some science to it. The one bit of tech that has not been updated, upgraded or improved since then is the driver, the one that needs to make decisions and react to what is going on. That is the main bit that takes the time, a modern car might stop faster and under more control than one 70 years ago but the driver can’t process the inputs any faster, speed things up more and you have more things happening in a shorter time period so less time to react again.

it’s when folk don’t that the frustration will kick in as they won’t be able to get past, unless they try a risky move, or one that takes ages, hoping they make it in time.

I still don’t get the policy of appeasing the idiots, how about we punish them more, problem is that needs more policing and more effort.

tomhoward

I know I’m poo pooing all the suggestions about changes to the cars etc, but I really do see little point in doing it as dickheads will just find new and exciting ways to be dickheads. What’s needed is a much more comprehensive driver training program. How many of you feel you learnt more about driving after passing your test than before? Or heard someone say that their driving instructor only taught them what was required for the test. Start people driving younger, train them for longer, and have better teachers is the way to do it (along with constant retesting), not just ‘pass your test as quickly and easily as possible’, once for life

I reckon if I decided to learn to drive tomorrow, the longest part of the process would be waiting for a slot to take the tests.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘112mph’ is closed to new replies.