Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • 11 Things That Should Be Standard Issue, Not Special Feature
  • tthew

Agree helmet peaks should accommodate goggles with a retainer clip at the back.

Is this a specific full-face helmet thing, or a suggestion for every MTB helmet? Disagree if the latter, literally no-one I ride with, spread across 3 or 4 groups uses goggles, I think they’re a pretty niche product so an accommodation for them is certainly not needed as standard.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Disagree if the latter, literally no-one I ride with, spread across 3 or 4 groups uses goggles, I think they’re a pretty niche product so an accommodation for them is certainly not needed as standard.

Even if only 0.0001% of people wear them, what’s the downside of a peak that moves further back? They already pivot in many/most cases anyhow.
    Ditto the retainer clip, sure it might only be used once or twice a year but I don’t see that there’s any downside to having one.

I can accept adding a retaining clip might be an “upgrade” but a peak that doesn’t move enough to actually provide any increase in function may as well be fixed, its a bit like having a door that only opens part way.

chakaping
    Free Member

Enduro-specific helmets should be goggle-friendly for sure.

XC ones not really.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    squirrelking
    Free Member

Is this a specific full-face helmet thing, or a suggestion for every MTB helmet? Disagree if the latter, literally no-one I ride with, spread across 3 or 4 groups uses goggles, I think they’re a pretty niche product so an accommodation for them is certainly not needed as standard.

I was mostly talking about full facers but the full head style enduro helmets would benefit as well.

One of those things though, just because you don’t use them doesn’t mean others don’t.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

but a peak that doesn’t move enough to actually provide any increase in function may as well be fixed

There’s a question actually, does anyone actually move the peak up or down (except if it goes far enough back to stick goggles etc under) or is this the opposite of “Things That Should Be Standard Issue” and rather “something that’s standard issue that needn’t be included at all?” (I guess that’s a thread in its own right)

nicko74

It’s for the roadies but… activating the damn power meter that’s included in the bike! It absolutely blows my mind that manufacturers can sell their bike with a power meter, but then charge an additional fee to actually turn it on

Del

Would be useful for brands to provide rim stickers that were at least in part reflective at what I imagine would be very little cost.

matt_outandabout

11 Things That Should Be Standard Issue, Not Special Feature

Sparkles in bike paint jobs.

squirrelking
    Free Member

There’s a question actually, does anyone actually move the peak up or down

Is that not a safety thing? I imagine a moveable peak is going to do far less nasty things to your neck in a crash than a fixed one. And is replacable to boot.

thepurist

Is that not a safety thing? I imagine a moveable peak is going to do far less nasty things to your neck in a crash than a fixed one. And is replacable to boot.

MrsP has a Spesh helmet with fixed peak, but it’s only held on by a couple of weeny press clips so in a crash would come off faster than you can say “rotational injuries”. My lid’s adjustable peak is held on by a couple of screw in studs that act as the pivots so once it’s moved as far as it can it’ll either snag or break.

mert
    Free Member

or my short pockets.

This is something that should be fired into space along with those who think it’s a good idea.

Anything tight enough not to flap when pedaling is too tight to actually wear, because, you know, muscles and pedaling.

Anything that isn’t too tight, flaps around too much when you’re pedaling, and chafes. And is really bloody annoying.

And then even a relatively minor off gets either a bunch of keys smashed into your leg, or a pointy rock destroying your phone.

Pedaling and pockets simply don’t work. And they haven’t worked in the 40 years i’ve been pedaling. The only exception i’ve found is OS maps or laminated route cards.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I get off my bike and walk around. Pockets are useful.

larfingiraffe

Bibs you can wee in

Yes definitely! Why has no-one else seconded this? Are you all blokes?? I don’t understand how manufacturers can claim “all day comfort” if you can’t wee or have to strip naked to do it. I won’t buy bibs that don’t have some sort of wild wee feature. Stretchy pull2pee are my favourite as there is no chance of zip failure.

And while I’m at it, pockets in bibsorts. Front pockets in jerseys. Front pockets in jackets. Zip pocket on the sleeve for you credit card and touch-and-go coffee without having to go through contortions finding it in a rear pocket.

And why oh why do cranks on small bikes come in ridiculously long lengths? My fitter recommends 155cm for me (I’m 159cm) but on many bikes 165 is the smallest, and in the higher ranges of some well-known brands its 170.

ayjaydoubleyou

Pockets are lovely.
    Key thing is to make sure the phone sits on top of your thigh (doesnt move around, wont be under you in a crash), rather than to the side (jiggles with every pedal, highly likely to land on it)

I would also like to see bearings in the swing arm so standard bearing presses can be used, rather than blind drifting needed for front triangle bearings.

mert
    Free Member

I get off my bike and walk around. Pockets are useful.

So do i, the stuff i need is already in a pocket, that’s not flapping around on my leg…

indeedfox
    Free Member

I’m still hanging on to two really old Decathlon bottles purely because of the cap covers. We get caked in all sorts of horrible stuff, week in week out, and they’re the only thing preventing a mouth full of sheep/cow/dog poo. They’re getting harder to find. Decathlon still make one but it’s their cheap one that falls out on the rough stuff so is useless.

Kuco

Camelbak do a bottle that has a little cover over the valve. Find it very useful as I ride through a couple of fields with cow and sheep shit in them.

tjagain

Grease nipples on bearings?  I just cannot understand why not any more.  Its not hard to do

squirrelking
    Free Member

Grease nipples are fine on loose or open bearings but serve no function on sealed units.

Barring a Shimano hub how many loose bearings would you typically find on a bike these days?

Camelbak do a bottle that has a little cover over the valve.

As do fidlock. Although i do have a large SiS bottle I like, I use a water balloon to protect the valve from muck.

Pockets are lovely.

I do wish the pocket placement on trousers/shorts were better. Internal sleeves in pockets for things like multi-tools/phones etc should be the norm..

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.