Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 11 speed upgrade woes
  • alanf
    Free Member

I’m upgrading my mates 98 Zaskar with XT 11 speed and I’ve hit a snag in that when the rear mech is attached it sits too far inboard (3rd sprocket) to align with the first (smallest sprocket). Am I missing something, do I need an extra link or is the mech the wrong one for this frame?

alan1977
    Free Member

from a 9 speed by any chance? different freehub bodies?

alanf
    Free Member

Yeah from 9 speed, going onto the same wheel (Hope xc) and cassette sits on fine with plenty of thread seated on the lock cap. I’m not sure exactly which mech it is though (probably an M8000 GS).

joebristol

Is one of the mechs a Shimano direct mount thing – that could cause an issue?

alanf
    Free Member

Is one of the mechs a Shimano direct mount thing – that could cause an issue?

I’m not sure, but this is what I’m thinking, although it looks like a standard M8000 to me, but I could be wrong. I’ll try and find out what it actually is.

alan1977
    Free Member

not taking the mickey.. but you’ve wound the limit screw out?

alanf
    Free Member

Its fully out and no further adjustment possible. This is what has stumped me.

Stainypants

I’ve just put 11-46 cassettes on 2 pairs of hope wheels one Xc one pro2 evo and it’s worked fine upgrading from 9 speed. I imagine the Zaskar has a replaceable drop out is it bent?

Richie_B

I’ve only experienced anything like this with a mech set up for a conventional hanger which I tried fitting to a direct mount hanger. I could just about set up the limit screws (I’m not sure I got the bigest cog but the b set wouldn’t work at all). Taking the extra link off the mech moved the positioning out on both counts so I’m guessing you need the extra link (It was on a Hope XC hub so I’m pretty sure the free hub won’t be the problem for 11 speed). I’ve since swapped the groupset onto an older frame so I’m glad I kept the link.

alanf
    Free Member

It already has the link and I don’t think it now is related to being direct mount. Apparently the M8000 XT can be used on both conventional and direct mount either with or without the ‘B’ link. The ‘B’ link is present which is for non-direct mount so I must be doing something wrong. Think i’ll strip it all back and start again, see if I’m missing something obvious.

boobs

Photo of mech?

alanf
    Free Member

Well after stripping the rear mech off and re-installing it, it now seems to be working but I’m not really sure what the problem was before. Anyway all is now good and the indexing seems pretty decent so I think it might be job done. I must have installed the mech incorrectly before but not really sure how!

joebristol

Maybe you had the tab that goes against the dropout the wrong side of the notch on it. So you couldn’t get the right b screw adjustment?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘11 speed upgrade woes’ is closed to new replies.