Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 11 speed MTB cassette on 11 speed roadie mech?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Trying to finally put together my already well obsolete “new” commuter/roadie bike and realized, that freehub body on “new” wheels is MTB length. Don’t want to risk putting roadie cassette only to find out that it is too wide – still haven’t bought new cassette so can’t just try – and started wondering if MTB, 11 speed cassette will play with roadie 11 speed rear mech?

Anybody tried such match?

Cheers!
    I.

simondbarnes

A Shimano 11/34 11spd will fit on a 10spd freehub body and works with current Shimano road GS mechs.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Ahhh… Forgot to add, I’m on SRAM rear mech and brifters…

Cheers!
    I.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orangeboy
    Free Member

The spacing should be fine , which bits do you have ?

My cx bike has 10-42 mtb cassette with sram force road bike group and works ok as a 1×11

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cool 😀

I have Force as well. Only 2×11 instead of 1×11.

Cheers!
    I.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I reread your first post and should add I’m on an ADR freehub I’ve not tried it with a shimano HG body.

What rear hub are you using?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I have Circus Monkey HDH2-R, that is slightly older model than one that states 10/11 speed compatible.

http://cycletaiwan.com/circus-monkey-hdh2-r-rear-disc-hub.html

One like that exactly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Circus-Monkey-HDW2-MTB-Rear-Disc-Hub-32-Hole-Black/130950037648?hash=item1e7d3b0090:g:-tkAAOSw-29ZVc63

Can see they have freehub body separate that says 10/11 speed Shimano. That might be the way to go for me if unsuccessful…

Cheers!
    I.

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

The problem you might have is the range on the mtb cassette exceeding what the mech can handle. Wide ranges need mechs with longer cages. A diddy little mech on wide cassette will probably be overstretched in the lowest gear and or / floppy chain on the highest

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Right, but I never mentioned that I want wide range, MTB cassette 🙂

I will settle down on 11/32 or 11/34, as I have front mech to keep me entertained.

I would go with roadie/CX cassette but not sure if it will fit my freehub body, that is marked as 8-10 speed.

Hence my musing…

Cheers!
    I.

snotrag

11 Speed Ultegra RX mech playing with an 11-40t SLX cassette here, no issues, no widgets required. On a Hope Pro 4 Freehub.

simondbarnes

I will settle down on 11/32 or 11/34

11/34 Shimano is the only 11spd ‘road’ ratio cassette that will fit on your freehub.

mattbee

I run 1x Rival 11s with an XTR mtb cassette. Absolutely zero issues.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps!

I.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘11 speed MTB cassette on 11 speed roadie mech?’ is closed to new replies.