Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 11 speed hub compatibility help ….
  • letmetalktomark

I’m after a lightweight affordable 11 speed cassette.

If I didn’t already have a mech and shifter (XT) I’d go back to 10 speed.

I’ve seen an 11 speed Sunrace “Road” cassette that fits the bill. Could even go 11-36 if I really wanted but that’s unnecessary for the rolling dales of Suffolk.

Sooooo will an 11 speed road cassette a) fit a std Hope freehub and b) be compatible with the XT shifter and cassette?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

No, you need 11 speed mtb cassette for that combo. Different indexing

11 speed road Shimano cassette fits on some but not all Hope freehub, guide on their site.

letmetalktomark

Balls.

Okay. My SRAM Apex 1 plays nicely with my XT cassette though. Hmm 🤔

Daffy

11 speed road cassette will work with an XT mech and shifter, but the freehub for the road cassette needs to be 1.7mm longer than for a MTB one.

How about an 11speed XTR cassette. They’re 340g

Mister-P
    Free Member

11 speed road cassette will work fine with MTB shifter and mech. If your freehub isn’t wide enough for an 11 speed road cassette then take a look at the Shimano HG800 or HG700 11-34 option. 11 speed but fits an MTB freehub as the largest sprocket is dished.

nixie

Which hub is your hope? Pro 4 or pro 2 Evo 40t will take a 11 speed road cassette. Pro 2 Evo and earlier won’t.

bsims
    Free Member

I asked hope this last week. They said what nixie said + all pro 2 evo and newer will take mtb 11 speed cassettes.

timoth27

@Nixie Are you sure about the 40t I’ve got one and it doesn’t have a spacer like my pro4

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The 105/Ultegra/Durace tier 11-34 cassettes come with a spacer to fit 11-speed road hubs, which you remove from behind the 34T to fit MTB hub. eg. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-r7000-11-speed-cassette-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP

swanny853

Aren’t there two things you need to fit a roadie 11s cassette? Slightly longer grooves on the freehub body and the drive side spoke flange pushed in a touch to clear the cassette? Is it possible @timoth27 has the second but not the first? I’ve a 40t pro 2 as well and don’t remember ever needing to run it with a spacer.

letmetalktomark

I’m now suitably confused 😂

The hub on the bike IIRC is a Hope Pro 2 Evo 40T

So this would suggest the Sunrace 11 speed cassette would fit, non?

bsims
    Free Member

From the information given to me by hope, yes. I will be going 1×11 with a pro 2 evo 40 when my parts arrive so if I get to it before you I will let you know.

simondbarnes

The hub on the bike IIRC is a Hope Pro 2 Evo 40T

It was only the Pro4 hubs that came with an 11spd road freehub as standard. There is an 11spd road freehub available for the Pro2 40t hubs though.

nixie

I think the pro 2 evo 40t is the point at which hope moved the drive side flange inboard. The pro 2 Evo doesn’t have this change. Looking at the tech documents backs this up. That is the change that allows the use of the freehub for 11speed road compatibility. Sounds like they were sold.with freehubs that only support 11 speed MTB. There is/was a page in hopes site that tells you which hubs will support 11 speed road but I can’t currently find it.

bsims
    Free Member

As long as you have a Pro 2 Evo 40T you can fit an 11 speed Shimano road cassette, this hub has 40 POE.

Any 11 speed MTB cassette will fit Pro 2 Evo hubs (24 and 40T).

Thank you for your email, if you’d like to receive regular updates of all the latest news, products, manufacturing and stories. Sign up here.

Don’t worry, you can unsubscribe at any time,

Kind Regards,

from Hope, I didnt ask about Sunrace or Sram so might be different

nixie

Can you link the sunrace road cassette?

There is also the 105 11 speed cassette that is made to fit MTB hubs.

timoth27

So if I am understanding this correctly and to maybe try and clarify: road cassettes are wider than mtb (apart from a couple of Shimano ones).

Hope pro4 hub definitely Uses road compatible freehub (for mtb you need a spacer at the back nearest to the spokes). Pro2evo is just mtb freehub, but pro2 evo 40T can “possibly” have mtb OR road freehub.

How dose that sound??

breninbeener

Sorry if this is a hijack……will a non evo Pro 2 rear hub take 11sp?

Or if it wont, can i fit an evo freehub?

timoth27

@breninbeener

My understanding is if it will take a 8 speed mtb cassette it will take an 11 speed mtb cassette. So basically most stuff from the late 90’s onwards will take an 11 speed mtb cassette.

That is Shimano cassettes I’m talking about.

timoth27

@bsims, I think what hope have said is correct but also A bit misleading. I think in order to fit a road cassette you will probably need a different (road) freehub (unless you happen to have it already). I guess you could check by fitting an mtb cassette and if it tightens up ok you have an mtb freehub and if it’s loose you have a road freehub.

bsims
    Free Member

thanks timoth27.

I think the context of my question is relevant. I asked about converting from 2×10 shimano to 1×11 shimano on an mtb. I took the answer to be in general. I think there is a spacer on mine but it has been a couple of years since I removed it.

nixie

@breninbeener yes it will take an MTB 11speed.

swanny853
    letmetalktomark

This is the cassette I’ve been looking at:

https://www.bikester.co.uk/sunrace-csrx1-cassette-11s-black-679764.html

Interestingly the first review suggests the cassette comes with a rear spacer ….. so this suggests, to me, it’s essentially a MTB cassette with a spacer to make it road freehub compatible.

Maybe I should just buy one 😂

For all those asking why 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t need the range of a typical 11 speed mtb cassette so 11-32 would be fine plus the ~100 plus gram saving is appealing 😊

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘11 speed hub compatibility help ….’ is closed to new replies.