Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 11 Speed Chain Option (105 rust/degrading)
  • jwildcard
    Free Member

I installed a new HG601 chain (105/SLX Level) 11 speed chain on a new 105 groupset and used it for three months (300miles) mainly dry then went out when it was damper a couple of times but I have inspected the chain after cleaning and the plates are all discoloured and the chain suddenly look several years old? Has anyone had similat issue with the 11 speed Shimano chains, it was lightly coated in decent oil (Morgan Blue) before riding and stored indoors. I am thinking of switching over to a KMC as the 9spd KMC on my winter bike has been great and took some bad conditions. I have used a couple of cleaners to try and restore the 105 chain back, maybe the critical part of the chain (the rollers which contact the cassette and chainrings are still in the right condition but cosmetically it is an eyesore for a newish chain? Is it a case of low grade metal plating on this Shimano offering?

Joe

Wipperman… treat yourself.

sillyoldman

KMC make the 105 chain, so not sure they’re likely to have a more corrosion resistant coating. Dura Ace/XTR 11 spd chain worth it in my experience. Only XTR and Dura Ace chains are made by Shimano – others are made to their design by KMC.

jwildcard
    Free Member

Yes I heard that about KMC making the 105 chain but the finish on the metal looks totally different to my 9spd which has been on a long time through two winters and suffered no plating issue whatsoever. Interesting to hear the dura ace chains are premium then and actually made by Shimano, its disappointing for this to be in a bad way after only ten or so rides, the 11 speed chains can be costly also compared to the 9spd. I hope the rest of the groupset fares better than the chain as my really old 105 stuff is bombproof.

boombang
    Free Member

I’ve always run 105 chains on road bikes, usually last a few thousand miles and only ever rusted when totally abused (like left caked in mud).

Are you sure it was genuine?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Are you sure it was genuine?

+1

There’s lots of fake Shimano stuff around at the moment especially chains and cables. Even bike shops are getting hit due to the shortages of genuine stuff.

jwildcard
    Free Member

Yes, I know there are a lot of fake chains floating around which would account for the rust and lower grade metals (ebay looks to have a lot) but I am pretty sure this one is genuine, it was purchased from Wiggle. It just seems to be a lower grade metal, I previously ran an Ultegra one for a long time and had no issues. I have taken it off to give it a good clean and degrease again with some spray cleaner but the texture of the metal isnt great. Not sure what to get next when I do replace but this has only done about 300 miles. I prefer Shimano I think in 11 speed but use the KMC on my 9spd.

fossy

Did you lube the chain after a damp ride. If you don’t they will rust

jwildcard
    Free Member

After a ride I usually degrease the chain and then relube about an hour before riding.
    I have read recently that after degreasing you should then wash the chain also though for better results otherwise the lube will just get gunked up when reapplied? I know after being out on the bike the chain comes back black so maybe have another look at routine of cleaning and lube afterwards. My winter bike and chain seem to be fine with this process, the rust was on the bike that was used in autumn and developed the rust, the plates just have an eroded look to them. The rollers proably still fine you would think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed Chain Option (105 rust/degrading)’ is closed to new replies.