Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 11-speed cassette with all steel cogs?
  • a11y

Does the collective STW mind know of any 11-speed cassette where all cogs are steel? Most seem to be 10 steel cogs with the biggest cog being aluminuim to save weight.

I’m aware of SRAM XG-1150-11 which is 10-42t and all steel and still a decently low weight.

Also aware of Shimano Deore CS-5100-11 11-51t, although it’s on the porky side.

I’m not tied to either Shimano or XD style – currently have a normal Shimano freehub on my Hope hub so would need to buy an XD one if I switched to SRAM cassette, but sticking with the 11-51t Deore cassette woiuld likely mean a replacement rear mech with greater capacity than my current SLX one.

Basically I’m looking for more durability as I’ve ripped through my current SLX 11-46 cassette in no time at all it seems. XG-1150 10-42 would work if I dropped from a 30t to 28t chainring but more range would be nicer. I’m drawing a blank though.

footflaps

Don’t Shimano have a new ebike specific group set with harder wearing steel toothed cassettes?

avdave2

Is there a Sunrace option? I know they do variations of their cassettes with different combinations of steel and aluminium

Akers

Range on 10-42 cassette is actually wider than 11-46. I use one with a 28t chainring, never had issue of running out of gearing at either the top or bottom of the range while off-road.

rockhopper70

How about Garbaruk. Not sure of the makeup of the full cassette but they are mighty pretty things. I was hoping to get a 11-46 11sp on mine.

a11y

Range on 10-42 cassette is actually wider than 11-46. I use one with a 28t chainring, never had issue of running out of gearing at either the top or bottom of the range while off-road.

Indeed it is. I’d already done the calculations after hearing abut the 10-42 steel SRAM one and it’s slightly wider range but a very slightly ‘harder’ easiest gear – I could live with it.

30t/46t = 29 x 30/46 = 18.9 gear inches
    30t/11t = 29 x 30/11 = 79.1 gear inches

versus
    28t/42t = 29 x 28/42 = 19.3 gear inches
    28t/10t = 29 x 28/10 = 81.2 gear inches

@footflaps
    , I’ve looked at Linkglide but the weight (cassette 2x weight of SRAM XG-1150-11!) and added need for new shifter and mech pretty much ruled it out.

@avdave2
    , thanks but not impressed with the Sunrace cassette I used before so not keen to go there again.

@singlespeedstu
    , ooooh. Biggest cassette cog is still alloy but given the Microsgift’s price that’s more palatable than the equivalent Shimano.

@rockhopper70
    , yeah they’re lovely but I’m not paying that for a cassette and I think there’s still alloy cog(s) in there.

singlespeedstu

Biggest cassette cog is still alloy

I’m pretty sure it’s steel.
    I’ll go and check in a bit.

a11y
    singlespeedstu

You’re right.
    Just put a magnet on it and it’s not steel.

goodgrief
    Free Member

I have a 11-46t cassette from 20twenty that’s all steel. It’s heavy mind, 550g iirc

b33k34

Also aware of Shimano Deore CS-5100-11 11-51t, although it’s on the porky side

I think that’s almost inevitable if they’re all steel. I was looking at 12 speed and the Deore is 60+g heavier than the SLX and (from pics) the construction of the rest of the cassette and carrier looks the same.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

If you think you may be OK with a Sram 10-42 xg 1050 why not go to the all steel 11-42 NX PG 1130 and save the cost of new freehub as well as halving the cost of the cassette.
    I don’t think I’d miss one tooth on the small cog especially if it saved me £130.

a11y

Fair point, but I think I would miss that one tooth – I use the full range of my 30t x 11-46 at the moment inc a fair bit of 30×11 getting to trails. But as you say a big saving over the XG-1150.

alan1977
    Free Member

Deore or linkguide? xt

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

11 Speed Road Bike Cassette fits Shimano/Sram 11-46T

Looks to be all steel, but 565g. Cheap though!

BadlyWiredDog

Basically I’m looking for more durability as I’ve ripped through my current SLX 11-46 cassette in no time at all it seems.

Slightly tangentially, how are you maintaining your drivetrain? I’ve gone over to immersive waxing and so far it’s made a huge difference to drivetrain cleanliness and wear. I know it’s a whole can of worms, but my experience is that once you’ve cleaned and prepped a new chain, the rest is quick and easy.

ajantom

As above Microshift 11spd on my bike has lasted well. I ‘think’ it’s top 2 rings alloy though.
    I killed my Microshift rear mech though ☹️ and was looking to replace and discovered this…

For the same price as a replacement mech/cassette you can buy a Microshift 8 speed Acolyte setup – 12-48 cassette (all steel), clutch mech,and shifter.
    It’s been great so far, and being 8 speed should be really robust and long-lived (one hopes!)

honourablegeorge

If you’re looking for more durability, just get a regular SRAM XD Cassette, they last incredibly well. Best cassettes I’ve ever used.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.