• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by nofx.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 11 46 9 speed cassette ?
  • nofx
    Free Member

Is there anywhere in the UK that sells a 11 46 9 speed cassette at a reasonable price? I‚Äôve traveled the net for hours to no avail ūüôĄ. Any info ( preferably a link) would be gratefully appreciated ūüėä.

dovebiker

Didn‚Äôt exist at the time, even with 10 speed it wasn‚Äôt until they came up with ‚Äėexpander‚Äô sprockets did longer-range cassettes become a thing. You could try adding an expander sprocket?

coconut
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of a 9 speed, the ratio jumps would be too big in the low gears. Just swapped my 3 x 9 to a 1 x 11 and enjoying it. I bought:7

11√ó46 Sunrace cassette
    34T shimano SLX chain ring
    175mm shimano SLX crank set
    Shimano 11 speed chain
    SLX 11 speed shifters.

I bought it all brand new from two shops and it came in at £208

nofx
    Free Member

My specialized has the 11 46 9 speed.its a sunrace one. I’ve seen the bolonay ones,but they look a bit suspect to me.

kevs
    Free Member

I have a sunrace 11-42 on my cargo bike with 3√ó9 for massive ratios, seems ok and looks like you can get bigger now

nofx
    Free Member

My finances are pretty dire at the mo, due to being off work. The 11t cog is worn,I ordered an 11t for a 9 speed cassette but the shop sent the wrong one out , they sent me a cog for an 11 speed ūüôĄ I only paid 350 quid for the bike. It needed about 5 hours work to get it running right. The bikes an 08 specialized enduro fsr.

damascus
    Free Member

It’s probably cheaper to buy a 10 speed shifter, cassette, chain, chain ring and rear mech but box do 9 speed.

https://www.boxcomponents.com/Box-One-Prime-9-11-50T-Cassette-Black

With a normal 9 speed mech you might struggle with a wide range cassette

pitduck
    Free Member

have run a bolany for 7 months on my old turner with the hanger extension that came with it.

raincloud
    Free Member

I bought shimano 9 speed 12-36 last year for an old hardtail going 1x.

Pair it with a 30T chaining and it will do what you want for cheap. It’s even using a short cage 9 speed xt mech with no problems at all.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-alivio-hg400-9-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod119945

nofx
    Free Member

Cheers for replies ūüėĀ

Swirly
    Free Member

@cartwheels that’s a proper bargain…thanks I might buy a couple.

I currently use a Sunrace 40t 9 speed one and it’s been great when used with a goat link hanger thing.

It’s good to see the trickle down to more modest budgets. 9 speed works and there’s no reason not to have the same range of ratio.

It occurred to me that my 9 speed XTR shifter must be at least 20 years old and hasn’t missed a beat. It was second hand when it came with a bike. Have knackered plenty of derailleurs in that time of course :oD

9 speed is therefore the ecological choice

nofx
    Free Member

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mtb-cassette-9s-11×42-id_864439.html. Found this. I guess I’ll have to have to put more effort into getting it up the hills .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‚Äė11 46 9 speed cassette ?‚Äô is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.