Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • 11/12 speed… I don’t really get it
  • Premier Icon ac282

So…if we had an 10 speed chain made of the same stuff would it last forever!?

I think this is what Shimano has done with linkglide.

Premier Icon nickc

So…if we had an 10 speed chain made of the same stuff would it last forever!?

or 12 speeds that effectively already last “forever”

Premier Icon cookeaa

Meh, railing against extra sprockets is just one of those things you have to do I suppose.

We’ve all been there, I still don’t actually own a bike with more than 10 sprockets on the back, but I have nothing against them, and I think seeing as the future is 1x (and it is) more cogs in the range to smooth out the steps just makes sense…

So yeah, never say never…

11sp holding up fine under huge stresses on the eeeeeeeeb

You can use 11 speed chains on 10 speed, and 9 as well…

Premier Icon mert
    Free Member

Plus no-one ran 28t cassettes in the 90s except roadies.

I was running, along with most of my team mates, XTR 95x triples with something like a 12/27 9 speed cassette and short or medium cage rear mech. Only time we used big cassettes was flattish courses, so you didn’t need to shift at the front. Everything else was a large road cassette and triple at the front.

Still got my race bike in the attic set up like that (might have an 11-28 on it at the moment)

Premier Icon nickc

Meh, railing against extra sprockets is just one of those things you have to do I suppose.

I think (generally) the development curve for peak acceptance for lots of folks whose experience started with 7 speed stopped at about 10, maybe 11 speed . The XT M770 being I think the zenith of triple (and double for a wee while) systems that (in no particular order) looked good on pretty much every bike, worked flawlessly, gave you enough gears, and was affordable. Past that you suddenly start to get into stuff like B knuckles and direct mount and clutches…and all of a sudden the technology is sort of not the same anymore. It’s like the drive train you’re used to, but the set up is different enough so that your long learned tricks and tips don’t quite work any more (especially all the ones you learned for front mech that are now redundant).

the relentless march of technology is a bitch if you’ve stopped learning

Premier Icon scotroutes

Yeah, I was going to suggest XTR M970 as being a zenith. I don’t think the aesthetics have been bettered either. I managed to skip 10 speed MTB, just because I wasn’t buying new bikes at that point and have happily settled on 11 speed at the moment. I can’t currently see any point in going beyond that but guess that I might at some point in the future, unless 13 speed pops up in the meantime.

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

Upgrading to the latest tech was originally the only way to get wider range gearing, 10 speed only had a 36t cassette and 11 speed was max 42. It was only later that bigger cassettes for 10/11 speed have been available.

I stayed 10 speed for a long while, I started with a 36 cassette, then got a 42t expander cog and finally got an 11-46 cassette with no bodging necessary.

Premier Icon nickc

For me the “Why 12 speed” misses the point a lot of the time, It’s not really a “solution” to triples, or having more cogs than 10sp or 11sp, it’s ultimately a question about bike design.

Premier Icon LAT

i’d happily use a 10 speed cassette with a 50 low.

the only issue i’ve had with 11 speed was when i used a “boost” shimano crank. the chain line was so bad (55mm i think) it was breaking chains. i have returned to a 52 mm chain line and all is good.

Premier Icon cookeaa

unless 13 speed pops up in the meantime.

[Ahem]Google “Campagnolo Ekar”[Ahem]

Premier Icon Northwind

My 12 speed cassettes are the longest lasting cassettes I’ve ever had on anything. I mean, they should be, they were bloody expensive. Presumably part of it is that the wear’s spread across more sprockets, though I do still spend a fair amount of time in either top or bottom… I think mostly, they just need to be well made out of good material in order to work at all or not weigh as much as my head- probably a 10 speed cassette made in the same way would be really good too but I don’t think there’s anything really on that level?

Premier Icon tjagain

This is why i went rohloff. 14 gears and nowt that breaks

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.