Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 10yr old – fitness/games ideas
  • Stoner
    Free Member

The kids and parents in our U10 Rugby squad wanted to get together for a regular mid week session. Thanks to RFU rules, we cant do rugby training, but we can do other sports activities.

Our first session is tonight and I’m looking for some ideas for fun game/sports for c. 10-20 kids.

There will be warm ups, some sprint work, jumping/conditioning, then I’d like to play a game or two. Was thinking something like netball with two buckets, or softball with tennis racket & ball.

Ive got cones, various balls and a muddy rugby pitch to work with.

Ideas/online resources?
    Ive got a primary school headmaster in my group who does a lot of sports clubs so will get some ideas of him hopefully over a pint later.

Cougar

Rounders, surely?

Stoner
    Free Member

softball with tennis racket & ball

IHN

British bulldogs [/eot]

Stoner
    Free Member

RFU rules

Strictly non contact. We wont go into my thoughts on the RFU in a public forum, but for now we have to be particularly goodi-two-shoes. We’re not even allowed to use a rugby ball FFS.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yoga. It’s non competitive, so you can give everyone a prize for taking part.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cage fighting?

Stoner
    Free Member

That’s on Sundays.

dragon
    Free Member

Can you not just do touch rugby? Hit the cross bar games seem popular with that age football training, can’t see why you couldn’t do a similar thing for rugby both passing and kicking.

Cougar

Two-touch American Football, come to that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Mountain biking! 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Can you not just do touch rugby

Strictly no rugby training.

I wonder if stingball might be considered dangerous?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

The governing body of rugby doesn’t let them train for rugby? What’s up with that!?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Play Rugby League 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Play rubgy league +1

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Maybe combine regular games to create new ones?

Dodgeball-Twister (possibly a bad combo)

Sack-Race Softball

Etc

mefty
    Free Member

Cricket season starts in 2 days.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Create a Strava club, running or cycling or both, get them all to set times on various segments?

Harry_the_Spider

Get a Karate instructor in to run a few warm up drills/stretches than do some basic moves. I did it with my Cub Pack and a few parents the other week. It went down very well, especially all the shouting in Japanese.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for the ideas guys.

Started with a 1km run warmup then went with a kind of tennisball netball, followed by rounders, then 15mins of footie with dads.

One of the dads who has offered to help but couldnt make this week is an MMA fighty chap and works at a gym so he has some ideas for conditioning routines. Maybe not in Japanese though…

The governing body of rugby doesn’t let them train for rugby? What’s up with that!?

I could give chapter and verse. But wont. 👿

Cougar

Started with a 1km run

Set a 10k cross-country course for them. Then go to the pub for an hour.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Kids First ?

Some really good ideas in that program… its all about the FUN factor right ?

Thats a good thing but then the program it’s self is Fun Police and say only x amount of hours a week.

Too stop burnt out … we get it … but it gone from one extreme that affected probably a very some number of kids to the other extreme for all kids.

Stoner
    Free Member

Set a 10k cross-country course for them. Then go to the pub for an hour.

Beers after the grownups touch* rugby session after the kids session.

* when “touch” becomes “drop your shoulder” 🙂

theotherjonv

couple of ideas

match the kids off in pairs, two cones about 10-15m apart and one in the middle as the start / finish line (or jumpers, mmmm, isn’t it, wasn’t it) and do a pursuit race to build speed, endurance but also flexibility to turn and accelerate.

Easy to set up multiples dep on numbers but a good ratio is one run for about 3 recoveries, get them going about 40-60s each time with the ‘recoverees’ cheering on.

‘Netball’ is a good one but mark out a small square, about 2x2m each end rather than a goal. You have to move the ball by passing (no motion with the ball) and to score you have to pass it to someone who is stood in the square (they don’t have to stand there permanently, but must be stood in it to get the ball). Trains thinking, teamwork, communication, catching. You can add in other aspects like minimum 6 passes before scoring to avoid hail mary style touchdowns, etc.

DM52
    Free Member

use american footballs. I am sure their is a large amount of junior american football training stuff out there.

Stoner
    Free Member

‘Netball’ is a good one but mark out a small square, about 2x2m each end rather than a goal. You have to move the ball by passing (no motion with the ball) and to score you have to pass it to someone who is stood in the square (they don’t have to stand there permanently, but must be stood in it to get the ball).

that’s the version I did. Will also adapt with a “skittles” goal – cone in a zone that cannot be entered, throw tennis ball at cone to score.

theotherjonv

that’s a good cricket warm-up, throwing at a cone to score but improves fielding and backing up, etc. to stop / regain possession of the misses.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘10yr old – fitness/games ideas’ is closed to new replies.