Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 10sp cassette on 9sp hub – what spacer?
  • petrieboy

I’m upgrading my old 9sp road bike to 10 which I think means I need to put a spacer behind the casette. Do shimano cassettes come with the spacer? And if not, what size do I need?

Wheels are ancient bontrager race-lite currently on 9sp dura ace and I’m moveing to 10sp 105

cyclistm
    Free Member

It should work without one, but mine didn’t:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wtd-9-to-10-spee-cassette-spacer

I used the spacer in the link to resolve my issue.

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, iirc…

isn’t there a difference between roadie 10spd, and mtb 10spd?

ie. roadie 10 cassettes are narrower than mtb 10 cassettes – which are the same width as 9spd.

the roadie10 cassettes are available in a size that an mtb may well consider ‘adequate’ – so we’ll buy them, only to find they’re not *quite* right… (i may or may not have found this out the hard way)

(i think is right, it certainly explains a few things…)

anyway, i’m not sure 10spd really counts as an upgrade for a road bike. it was sort of a short-lived dead end. imho, upgrade properly, to 11spd 105, or just get new(ish) Sora, which is cheap, back-dateable, and really really really good.

petrieboy

Yeah, I’ve got a complete 105 group in the spares box but the main reason for the switch is the realiseation that the 53/39 with 11-21 cassette whilst looking pro, is in actual fact quite rediculous given my (at best) modest ability!

petrieboy

edit – double post

Mister-P
    Free Member

The cassette will come with the correct spacer. Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 10 speed use a 1mm spacer, Tiagra doesn’t. If you are fitting a used cassette and can’t find the spacer THIS is what you need.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘10sp cassette on 9sp hub – what spacer?’ is closed to new replies.