Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • 10minute presentation …. No visual aids.
  • letmetalktomark

Any suggestions.

Stand and “present”?

Lean back on chair and “chat”?

wingnuts

To how many people? Where and what about?

bearnecessities

No visual aids? Sounds like torture for everyone unless you’re a good stand-up comedian.

Is this an interview?

jam-bo

Dance.

letmetalktomark

Yep it’s an interview.

Panel of three.

Open with a joke?

letmetalktomark

Sadly not much of a dancer 🙁

aa
    Free Member

If you do open with a joke…don’t do “how do you get a gay man…..”.

Stand up straight, don’t mumble, eye contact.

jam-bo

Charades. Make them work for it…

matt_outandabout

By visual aids I presume that is the dreaded PowerPoint?
    What is the topic?
    Just get interactive and facilitative on them. I am doing a full day of training next week and won’t need the laptop…

wingnuts

Whats it about? For an interview I’d be careful about how wacky I’d get. Dependent on business I suppose. Involve the audience with some questions to illustrate points. Closed questions so that they don’t take you off piste. No vis aids means no power point but doesn’t mean nothing I suspect. I’ve used an orange effectively (not in a MP type of way) and a pen or phone could be a prop.

bearnecessities

10 minute, no visual aid presentation in an interview? Sheesh…

Initial thought then, will be painful for them too.

Obviously, it depends on the brief you’ve been provided with, so if required knowledge of the industry/profession required, then make sure that’s in there.

Be imaginative & engage the interviewees – maybe comment on the fact no visual aids are allowed, so make light of it (they will probably be very sick of interviewing) and invite them to use imagination in a scenario and comment back; make it a two way thing. Make it a discussion, but not overly so though(after all, you are being interviewed, but they will welcome a break from the norm).

It’s hard though without knowing more info about what the job is and what your invitation to interview said.

maccruiskeen

“who’d like to see my impersonation of an elephant?”

rickmeister

7 mins chat, 3 mins summary and questions… simples.

geoffj

Play them at their own game. Take in some blindfolds, make them wear them whilst you read them a story/poem complete with a box of tricks sound effects.

bearnecessities

7 mins chat, 3 mins summary and questions… simples.

Unless you’re very handsome/sexy/charismatic, you’ll have lost them after 20 seconds.

EDIT:

Take in some blindfolds, make them wear them whilst you read them a story/poem complete with a box of tricks sound effects.

I like that!

ourmaninthenorth

Right now you’re focussed on what you can’t do. Now, you have to think about what you can do.

Your goal is twofold: to be convincing and engaging.

jamj1974

You might try using objects as the focus for your presentation – use relevant tactile aids rather than visual aids to illustrate your points…? I’ve seen this done very well on a couple of occasions.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Is visual aids worse than cat aids?

jonjones262
    Free Member

Talk for 2 minutes, remove trousers and helicopter d^ck

johndoh
    Free Member

Usual rule is…

Tell them what you are going to tell them

Tell them it

Tell them what you just told them

And top tip – don’t be afraid of silence – the pauses add effect

crankboy
    Free Member

what is the presentation about ? work out a structure to your resentation. My dad used to say tell them what you want to talk about talk about it , tell them what you have talked about . I saw him do it once it was excrutiating . consider some sort of structure though:-

principle / introduction

material / facts / evidence

argument / opinion

summary / conclusion / proposal

bearnecessities

Talk for 2 minutes, remove trousers and helicopter d^ck

How’s a helicopter duck going to help?

scotroutes

I once had to do a ten minute talk on the role of my department based on a random prop pulled out of a poly bag. I got a 35mm film canister!!

matt_outandabout

Take a mate to stand in. Dearth Vader suit in the corner.
    For no reason other than they will remember you.

😉

bearnecessities

Dearth Vader

A somewhat lacking baddie?

lucien

pop larkin – Member
    Is visual aids worse than cat aids?

POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Nope, it’s like Lucozade

Sandwich

Take in some blindfolds, make them wear them whilst you read them a story/poem complete with a box of tricks sound effects.

Ball gags as well if the audience warrants/deserves them!

DrJ

Are you allowed to do shadow puppets?

towzer

tell them what you’re going to tell them (*in summary)
    tell them
    tell them what you told them (*in summary)
    let them ask questions

peterfile
    Free Member

If you can’t communicate what you need to without visual aids then either you’ve put your presentation together poorly or you struggle with presenting. I accept that some topics need a bit of visual representation, but for most, visual aids just take attention away from the presentation generally and allow people to focus on something other than what you’re trying to tell them. Powerpoint is way overused. People automatically assume, oh i’m doing a presentation, better do some slides.

I do loads of presenting and use slides less than 1/3 of the time. My scores on attendee feedback forms are always higher if I’ve not used powerpoint etc. Focuses the mind on properly communicating a difficult point, rather than just firing the complex stuff up on a slide and trying to make the audience digest it in 60 seconds. And if it’s not something that has to be visualised, wtf are you putting it on a slide for anyway?

I appreciate that visual aids can help strengthen what you’re trying to say, but that’s only if they’re used appropriately/effectively, and most of the time they’re not. It’s just repetition.

People sticking up powerpoint slides which say roughly the same thing as is coming out of their mouth is one of my pet peeves 🙂

How often do you see the great TED presenters sticking powerpoint up?

BigJohn

The sermon on the mount and “I have a dream” both had to be done when they couldn’t get the powerpoint to work and they seem to have gone down quite well.

Just because there is no visual aid you can still write the presentation in the same way. A number of main topics each with 3 or 4 sub topics and a wrap up.

I was once told:

Summarise the situation
    Describe the 3 or 4 possible courses of action
    Put forward your preferred solution, with reasons.

righog
    Free Member

Watch some pro’s and copy them.

Ken Robinson

and other great speakers on TED ( might be some related to your job ?)

allthepies
    Free Member

Take a guitar and do a David Brent style presentation.

maccruiskeen

The sermon on the mount and “I have a dream” both had to be done when they couldn’t get the powerpoint to work and they seem to have gone down quite well.

Although its not alluded to directly in the gospels its thought Jesus might have used hand puppets in his sermons

“Whats that you say Sootie?…. blessed are the the who?……he says ‘Blessed are the Meek’ boys and girls”

lemonysam
    Free Member

For me – don’t try to learn a 10 min presentation verbatim – at that length if you get derailed at all you’ll never pick up again. I tend to have a 30 second ice breaker pretty much down pat and the same for a final conclusion and then in between more freeform.

Have a set of maybe a half a dozen “things” you wish to talk about in an order which best presents and then justifies your thesis and if you find yourself floundering you can just move on to the next “thing”. You may well realise what you missed and can slot it in later.

Under each of these headings you can learn a few relevant facts and citations which help make your point but don’t overburden your presentation with them, if you don’t manage to slot them into the speech you might get them into the Q&A afterwards.

If you do go down this road, try not to be overcome with relief when you get to the conclusion which you know and start rushing it. I gave a politics seminar once to someone I was terrified of and completely lost it in the last 10 seconds…

BigJohn

“Whats that you say Sootie?…. blessed are the the who?……he says ‘Blessed are the Meek’ boys and girls”

Marvellous.

I would like to do a powerpoint presentation for that though. A big picture of a globe with an arrow pointing to a little meek man.

z1ppy

Can’t believe no one’s suggested..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6bWb7oEuE[/video]

though the helicopter suggestion made me smile

brickyard
    Free Member

presentation interview are no win – impossible to tell tone required to you actually see the type of people you are presenting to. you can tell how ‘serious’ they are!

gazerath
    Free Member

this would be toture for me, been a visual person. I’d use the stlye of the fonts and text to make it visual thing.

Alter size of text and postion and aligment.

good luck with no visual aids

BillMC

Get a copy of Max Atkinson’s book ‘Lend Me Your Ears’, it’s brilliant. Can be had cheaply on Amazon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘10minute presentation …. No visual aids.’ is closed to new replies.