Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 10mb over 4mb Broadband – will I really see a difference ?
  • Raindog
    Free Member

We are a few miles from the nearest phone exchange in a fairly rural part of North Wales and have a 4mb broadband service from AB Internet that does not use a phone line, but a line of sight transmitter and receiver. We’ve had the service for a few months and I’m very happy with the speed (it’s always at 3.9mb or above on speedtest.net). They have emailed today offering a 10mb service for another £10 per month, and I’m tempted. However, I’m not sure if I will I see much of a difference – I know it’ll be faster, but what will 10mb will allow me to do that 4mb won’t ?

stabilizers

I think 90% of STW will be asking you…..when you get it. You will let us know wont you?

xiphon
    Free Member

You’ll have a nice and fast connection to your ISP… but the rest of the internet will stay the same speed.

If you use p2p applications, you will probably notice a difference. Web pages might load 0.01 seconds quicker…

scaredypants

I find 4 is fine – when it’s running at 4 (my adsl is “up to 8” but I never see over 5). Can’t imagine I’d need more speed unless my kids start massively hitting the downloads or I dump sky tv and stream loads of telly

Cougar

The difference I found wasn’t in raw speed particularly, but in multi-tasking. Mine trains at around 13Mb (when Sky aren’t being incompetent) and I almost never see any slowdown due to other network activity despite having over a dozen devices that might be connected and doing stuff at any given moment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘10mb over 4mb Broadband – will I really see a difference ?’ is closed to new replies.