Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • £10k for an electric Santa Cruz 😳
  • granny_ring

Blimey, I’ll have 2 please.

tomhoward

Bargain, compared to the £16,000 Specialized ebike?

Plus, you can get them for around £6k, if you have a well paid job, and a sympathetic cycle to work provider.

intheborders
    Free Member

Pretty sure you could spend £10k on an ordinary SC.

z1ppy

£10K Hardtail that SC is an absolute bargain

argee

We live in a world where people have disposable income to buy this, same with watches, clothes, cars, etc, they’ll sell well i’d say, the heckler did well enough from what i saw at trail centres, so this one with a better set up should sell better i’d guess.

oldnpastit

That’s 4k off your tax bill.

tagnut69
    Free Member

you can easily spend that on a road bike without a motor in it

honourablegeorge

tomhoward

Plus, you can get them for around £6k, if you have a well paid job, and a sympathetic cycle to work provider.

You can, but you’ll be getting the old E7000 motor on that model, not the EP8. How shit is that?

tomhoward

You can, but you’ll be getting the old E7000 motor on that model, not the EP8. How shit is that?

A higher rate tax payer would get 40% off the 10k version on c2w, is what I mean.

Isn’t that version £7.5k?

honourablegeorge

Ah, right – I assumed you were talking about the 7.5K version – I thought C2W was only 1K or so

tomhoward

I thought C2W was only 1K or so

The limit is now unlimited, as long as you are still earning minimum wage after the monthly deduction.

oldnpastit

The limit is now unlimited.

Going to be a lot of super high end ebikes around very soon.

I’m trying to work out whether, when going for a bike ride with someone on such a machine, it’s better to stay just at 24km/h and wear their battery out, or just above 24km/h and wear them out.

nowthen
    Free Member

“I’m trying to work out whether, when going for a bike ride with someone on such a machine, it’s better to stay just at 24km/h and wear their battery out, or just above 24km/h and wear them out.”

Mr big swinging d**k just entered the discussion… Going to do that uphill champ?

argee

oldnpastit
    The limit is now unlimited.

Going to be a lot of super high end ebikes around very soon.

I’m trying to work out whether, when going for a bike ride with someone on such a machine, it’s better to stay just at 24km/h and wear their battery out, or just above 24km/h and wear them out.

Only to find out they’ve chipped it and can go 50mph ;o)

oldnpastit

Mr big swinging d**k just entered the discussion… Going to do that uphill champ?

I spent quite a long time at the weekend asking myself that very question, as I slowly grovelled up hill-after-hill, with not enough sugar in my legs. Living in Cambridgeshire gives me a few more options though if I can choose the route.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s been £10k bikes about for years now, and that’s without a motor and a battery.

So in reality, it’s a **** bargin.

I’d love to see you averaging that on my local stuff, indeed you must have been quite a machine in yer heyday, ye know, before you were old and past it?.

tonyg2003

lots of Santa Cruz eMTB out on the Surrey hills last weekend. Also it was good to see some people clearly new to MTBing out on eMTB.

dc1988

There were significantly more ebikes being ridden on my Sunday ride than there were normal bikes, people seem to be willing to spend the cash

mudfish

Thats 10 root canals in dentist’s brand speak

oldfart

I belong to the skin a turd for a tanner generation who still thinks a fiver is a lot of money and someone in work today said Amazon Prime is ONLY a tenner a month 🙄 🙄 🙄
    So when a bike costs more than we paid for our first house I would say that’s quite expensive in my book 🤔

kelvin

Apart from the guy I was riding with… everyone I saw out on Saturday was on an ebike.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s been £10k bikes about for years now,

Yep, 2-3 years ago it seemed every fancy bike brand had a £9,999.99 top end Enduro bike dripping with ENVE wheels, XX1 Eagle and Kashima X2 etc. It didn’t last long, they’re back down in the £5k-£7k range now.

e-Bikes seem to be about a £1k premium over normal bikes now.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There were significantly more ebikes being ridden on my Sunday ride than there were normal bikes, people seem to be willing to spend the cash

I have a theory…

I’ve been riding Trail Centres for years, I’m not fast, but I’m not slow. I rarely catch people, and I rarely get caught.

The exception are e-Bike riders, they’re flying up the climbs at least twice as quickly as I am, I think it gives the impression there’s more of them than there are, because they make up a larger proportion of people I meet on the trails.

tomhoward

When I’ve been at trail centres at a weekend, there’s a lot of ebikes.

When I’ve been at the same trail centres during the week, there’s none.

Imma start working weekends.

So when a bike costs more than we paid for our first house I would say that’s quite expensive in my book

How much would that same house cost now?

granny_ring

Thats 10 root canals in dentist’s brand speak

🙂

Well apologies then if 10k on a bike has been around for a while, I am obviously well out of touch.
    I just noticed it in an email from a bike shop this morning.
    Each to their own I guess.

plus-one

Bargain!!

johnnystorm

Lotus bike was £15k in 1991 so a carbon bike with a motor and suspension is a bargain. Right?

In all seriousness when I think of the exotic stuff I used to worship as a teenager in the 90s once you factor in inflation and capability it’s a bargain really.

Jamze

Or £7k for a more sensibly spec’d one. Or £5k for the equivalent from Trek/Spesh/Whyte etc.

davosaurusrex

Someone hasn’t seen what Specialized are charging for ebikes

tomhoward

Or £7k for a more sensibly spec’d one.

Cheaper doesn’t mean sensible’r. It’s proper budget spec stuff, verging on false economy. Plus an outdated motor.

matt_outandabout

Yeah, but cool colours.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Where IS the money going on these 10k ebikes??

It’s not a particularly high end spec or huge battery capacity, and the motor is the same as many cheaper bikes. They aren’t even cheap to run with tyres costing 50 quid each, and 100 quid (plus) to service shock, fork, seatpost etc.

10k is into the realm of electric MX bikes with 50 bhp (37,000 watts) e.g. Redshift Alta

Seems nuts to me.

IdleJon

Someone hasn’t seen what Specialized are charging for ebikes

Ha, I just thought the same. The Levo SL starts at £5250 and tops at £12,500.
    The Trek Rail starts at approximately £4k and goes up to over £10k.

Looks like the SC is the bargain. 😀

dc1988

I’m afraid the trail centre ebike theory doesn’t hold up, I wasn’t riding at a trail centre. I don’t have an issue as such with ebikes, however with the extra number of runs they allow in a given period they must lead to more trail wear which isn’t good.

Jamze

I guess people just like them then?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue as such with ebikes, however with the extra number of runs they allow in a given period they must lead to more trail wear which isn’t good.

Would twice as many people on normal bikes be bad?

Painey
    Free Member

£10k? That’s cheap. A certain shop in the Surrey Hills is selling them for £12k. Plus £35 postage of course.

granny_ring

£10k? That’s cheap. A certain shop in the Surrey Hills is selling them for £12k. Plus £35 postage of course.

Love it 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue as such with ebikes, however with the extra number of runs they allow in a given period they must lead to more trail wear which isn’t good.

Maybe an issue in the overpopulated South, however lots of stuff up here could do with some more wheels on it.

Some folk will hide behind anything to have a go, it’s quite hilarious.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

after pricing up my 5010 replacement to the latest model with 12s versus 11s shimano coming out at £8.9k then this ebike sounds good value assuming its decent spec.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘£10k for an electric Santa Cruz 😳’ is closed to new replies.