Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • £10k camper / race van – whaddya got?
  • oldtennisshoes

The race van / camper itch has started again. I’m considering buying something I can use primarily with the boy for downhill / enduro events, but also for winter skiing in Scotland.

Key issues

Something big – a T5 isn’t going to cut it and I’ll keep it at a caravan storage place up the road when not in use.

Needs 2 decent sized beds a heater, toilet and storage for a couple of bikes inside.

I used to have a home brew ducato-based camper which was ok, but not well enough converted for a growing family of 4.

Ideas / suggestions please

If I was feeling really brave / stupid – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vanhool-T8-Race-truck-bus-motorhome-coach/323494267533

trail_rat
    Free Member

for 4 needing 2 beds your in coachbuilt territory .

you have seen the postbus – it stands me in the 10grand region all told and while it is big enough for and sleeps 4 it wouldnt be comfortable for more than a couple of nights – bit like a t5 is for 2 really – and van based campers dont come much bigger

alexxx
    Free Member

7.5t route imo. I have a lwb citroen relay and it can sleep 4 but I wouldn’t want to share it with more than a girl and a dog!

mikekay
    Free Member

Have a look at the CI carioca 656 it’s a bit over budget but would sleep 4 and has a rear garage. Its one of the cheapest coach built i can find

oldtennisshoes

Thanks all. Iveco minibuses for conversion (already lined, with electric & night heaters) have a strange allure at the moment. Looks like I could pick up one that hasn’t been to the moon and back for around £5k which would leave plenty for a conversion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

7.5t if you have the licence are alluringly cheap to buy as people dont like paying for the paperwork. Dont be tempted to try downrating a bigger truck to lower rating as youll end up being over weight with a packet of crisps in the back.

I did hire a coachbuilt 3500kg transit  that slept 6 , had a garage and was comfortable for 8 inside(tested)

The garage was only usable with the rear bunks folded up though so transit only . It was wide as **** , tall as **** and slow as ****. Quite stressful to drive when off the A roads compared to a van bodied camper.

The whole thing felt like it had been built cheap and light , didnt not feel like  it would last at all.

No real payload either.

oldtennisshoes

I’m of that age where I can drive 7.5t (although haven’t done for over 25 years), so I’ll have a look at those too.

What about this as a base vehicle? – https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-cars/2008-08-plate-iveco-daily-35-lwb-mini-bus/1317539136 

trail_rat
    Free Member

same base as the postbus.

hard to tell from those photos .

Get under it , look at the ladder frame , look at the rear crossmembers on the body work at the rear – they often crack from repeated overloading , look at the rear wheel arches where they join the body they often rot through and general condition.

Id budget for a clutch on a council minibus – often driven by  people with no mechanical sympathy.

scratch all the above . its from EMI imports – **** that for a game of soldiers. always ahve been a bunch of dodgers. the kirkcaldy location rang alarm bells so searched the address and they showed up. They may have turned over a new leaf but as the saying goes – a leopard never changes its spots so id avoid based on that

oldtennisshoes

Thanks Terry, I’m working in Dunfermline today, so I might have a spin across just to kick the tyres and get a feel for the size / spec. There are plenty of them about, so it doesn’t need to be from them.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks swan, I have seen that one. It looks a bit rough in the pictures, I should probably go and have a look at it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its swans van i think .

rene59
    Free Member

What advantages does a big motorhome have over a car and caravan?

trail_rat
    Free Member

not having to run a big car day to day for ability to tow the van.

not having to use campsites

having space for bikes inside

Easier to pitch up at events.

Cheaper for most ferries than a comparible caravan length

downsides

if you need the car at site you need to pack up.

Not really all that suitable for a daily driver

if your trips are mostly 1 day here and there , overnighters and touring then the van is better than a caravan plus car. If your trips are 2 weeks pitched up on a campsite then the caravan is a better option for the most part.

oldtennisshoes

What advantages does a big motorhome have over a car and caravan?

For me it’s about having the bikes inside and being able to park up for a stealth night’s camping away, which isn’t as stealthy if using a caravan.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

Yeah it’s my van, it isn’t perfect but for the price you can’t complain and gives some scope to adapt or tidy up

stevemtb
    Free Member

Yeah it’s my van, it isn’t perfect but for the price you can’t complain and gives some scope to adapt or tidy up

Got any pics of the garage area? What’s it like for bike storage, how many can you fit in? A mate is converting a van at the moment so I’ve started looking for one again 🙂

Is it under the 3.5t limit both weight wise and rating wise?

spooky_b329

I would recommend a panel van over a minibus, all those windows are hot in summer,  cold in winter,  and heavy all the time. The standard bonded windows are cheap and you probably only want one either side behind the cab,  and perhaps rear doors depending on layout.  I only have two and no windows where the bed is, just a rooflight.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘£10k camper / race van – whaddya got?’ is closed to new replies.