Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 106 GTI as a track car
  • alanf
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of getting a small hatch to do some track days in.
    Won’t be used to carrying bikes, going to the shops or anything else really.
    My current thinking is 106 GTI, one of the later run 2002 models but is there anything else I should consider?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Lad I’ve got at work on the jcb runs a ford puma, he’s put some mondeo discs and callipers on it and tinkered with the suspension and that all. He’s done a fair bit of this type of stuff to be fair but reckons he regularly upsets the Clio 180’s and the like that are out there.

legend
    Free Member

Saxo VTS
    Clio 172
    Mazda MX-5
    MG ZR/S/T
    Honda Civic
    Volvo 850 (has actually been done)
    Something original will always be good for a laugh!

He’s done a fair bit of this type of stuff to be fair but reckons he regularly upsets the Clio 180’s and the like that are out there.

Only likely if he’s done some significant engine work or is a driving god

Mintman
    Free Member

What sort of budget are you looking at? Do you just want to get in and drive or modify it first? Does it need to have a roof? What about Locost kitcars for low cost (high maintenance) fun?

Milkie
    Free Member

The 106 GTI and Clio were ones I looked at, I remember the 106 GTI winning the car of the year on a Clarkson DVD due to the great handling.

In the end was given a Puma for a track car. Can’t comment yet as I haven’t driven it on the track yet, just started preparing it for track days at Castle Coombe this year.

johndoh
    Free Member

The Puma 1.7 can be tuned to 175bhp very easily too. (Father in law had that tweaked unit in his Westfield and it was geared for hillclimbing).

Did 0-60 in about 3 seconds.

greeble
    Free Member

great handling on a 106? with torsion beam rear axle.
    they’re fun to drive! I’ve owned its bigger brother the 306gti and a 306 rallye.

Tom83

If i had any spare money, I’d be tempted to get a classic mini with a vtec transplant with complimentary miss matching panel colours to make it look a bit more unassuming.

Mintman
    Free Member

Millie – I might see you there, Combe is my local track and I take my Westfield up there when I can.

TheGingerOne

Maybe a Seat Ibiza Cupra from an ‘X’ plate era. Uses the 1.8t 20 valve VAG engine at 156bhp, but there was an R version at 180bhp. Harsh ride on the road, but would be good on track I think once you got the turbo singing.

sssimon
    Free Member

do it. or a vts saxo, same car, worse interior but you won’t care about that if you’re stripping it out.

Loads of cheap bits about and with the cars having a full group n programme and he 106 cup a few years back proper bits are plentiful to get a lot from them. Most cars have about 120-129 bhp as standard, a filter and a proper group n exhaust will have you over 140, cams and head work are simple to do and will have you over 150. Car is 975kg as standard, not hard to lose the 75 off that.

Brakes are an easy upgrade too as long as you run 15 inch wheels, 306 gti/hdi calipers will work with standard master cylinder and servo, 406 coupe brembos go for about £200 and will work with 288mm xantia discs but you’ll need a bigger master cylinder.

Clutches are cheap but they will go through them, gearbox is good but a good upgrade on a track car is a lower geared box from a rallye.

Can you tell i want another one? Currently have an S1 rallye with no engine in a shed but no funds to do anything with it.

br
    Free Member

Any of the early Peugeots will be fun, before they screwed the handling.

309GTI, 405Mi16 etc.

Not sure whether you’ll find anything running though, but my Mi16 went past 160k before I sold it on.

scaled
    Free Member

Maybe a Seat Ibiza Cupra from an ‘X’ plate era. Uses the 1.8t 20 valve VAG engine at 156bhp, but there was an R version at 180bhp. Harsh ride on the road, but would be good on track I think once you got the turbo singing.

Take a look at Badger 5s Ibiza cupra 😀

Build thread here knocking out >500BHP at the last count

karen805
    Free Member

Another vote for a Ford Puma, cheap as chips now a days and a cracking handling little car. I know several that are used for sprinting and racing. Although, easily tunable to 175BHP? Not sure about that without bolting on a turbo or a charger, they’re 126BHP stock, so that’s a hefty increase (unless poster was being sarcastic?)

I have a Racing Puma engine fitted in my little mk4 Fiesta which I track, 6 pot Wilwood brakes, H&R coilovers and 155BHP, out handles and generally out performs much more expensive newer cars on the road and track.

Milkie
    Free Member

Yea Puma 175bhp… Easy… IF you take it somewhere like this and pay over £2K. 😯

If there is a much much cheaper way… I would love to know!

trail_rat
    Free Member

that ovlovs not far from rolling a tire !

**** that

legend
    Free Member

I believe that it pounded round the track all day without an issue

xcstu
    Free Member
    Milkie
    Free Member

Rather than buying a standard car, I would probably look at buying a car that has been converted to a track car. It will probably work out a lot cheaper in the long run, as you never get the money back for what you have spent on it.

qu1nt
    Free Member

If you can look past the taxi image & remember they won the BTCC then something like this (with proper coilovers rather than just lowering springs) can be had for around £1k (infact this can be right now ..)

plecostomus
    Free Member

You can buy my fiesta zetec s for the right money. It’s mint condition 40k 55 plate services every 7k miles. Currently kicking out 110bhp. Super light handles amazing loads get swapped as a track car or put a puma lump in it and have 130bhp easily.

If not another vote for a puma from me!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘106 GTI as a track car’ is closed to new replies.