Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 105 rear mech max cog size
  • strike
    Free Member

Time to replace the cassette on my road bike and the current set-up is a 10speed 105 short-cage rear mech and 12-30 cassette. I’d like to switch to 12-32 cassette but the 105 mech is only rated up to 30t – is this official ie definitely won’t handle a 32t max cog?

rezis
    Free Member

My GT Grade is 11 speed 105 and has a 32t rear sprocket so it does work…

Stainypants

If its a 5701 it will go to 32 if its 5700 officially 30t but I think you can push it by screwing in the b screw.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My GT Grade is 11 speed 105 and has a 32t rear sprocket so it does work…

The Grade is specced with a medium cage rear mech which is designed to work with the 32T.

mikeyp

Stainypants is right. It will run fine, may shorten the life of the derailleur, particularly if you 50-32 alot.

alanf
    Free Member

My 5600 is only rated up to 27 I think, but I’m running 30.
    I think the max is rated by the max available at the time which was probably 30.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if 32 would work with a bit of tweaking of your set-up.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Max is rated based on mech and frame geometry. Not what is available. 🙄

If your hanger is in a better position than the nominal one that shimano use, you’ll be able to go bigger.

FWIW I’ve not yet worked on a bike that *won’t* allow you to exceed the shimano specs by at least 2 teeth.

strike
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies-I thought it would probably work but wanted to check before ordering/fitting.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Wit B screw adjustments will tolerate a 36…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘105 rear mech max cog size’ is closed to new replies.