Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 105 poor shifting up around middle cassette
  • prezet
    Free Member

Just fitted new 11sp 105 mech and shifters about 6 weeks ago. Shifting started off lovely and crisp, a few days later it started to struggle on a couple of shifts … which I put down to the new cable stretching in. After a bit of adjustment it was back to shifting well.

However the past few days I’m getting poor shifting moving up the gear around the middle of the block. I click the shifter, and the mech moves outward fine, however it seems like the shifting ramps don’t engage for several revolutions of the cranks. Eventually it does shift. This doesn’t seem to happen towards end ranges of the cassette though.

Any ideas on where to start looking to fix? I’ve checked the limit screws and they seem ok, b screw seems ok too (I think).

joemmo
    Free Member

my money would be on an issue with the outer cabling and some friction therein.

Possible causes – the wire braid has deformed and is causing a squeeze somewhere along the line, most likely around the bend in the bars or where the outer goes into the lever. Could be friction at a cable end. I presume you fitted a new inner cable but if not then check the nipple end inside the lever, that’s where they usually fail and if you have a few loose strands it will jam the mechanism.

smiffy

Check the hanger for straightness.

cynic-al
    Free Member

the wire braid has deformed and is causing a squeeze somewhere along the line

If you mean the wire in the outer cable, then it’s very obvious when the outer is so bad as to cause an issue.

My guess would be cable friction, possibly cheap cables or the inner has a kink in it. Modern gears are really sensitive.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘105 poor shifting up around middle cassette’ is closed to new replies.