Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 105 or Sram Apex
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

For a new Fargo build?

Always used Shimano in the past, but keen to hear the arguments for/ against..

Cheers.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Campag Centaur

JoB
    Free Member

105, because it just works

tomhoward

105, because I only know Shimano. If it aint broke…

mrblobby
    Free Member

105. Works really well and great value. Just got a new groupset (excluding hubs) for 299 from Ribble.

cultsdave
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-11-speed-groupset/rp-prod110818

If you can afford it. Another 10% off with code UK10 at the moment. I use 105 myself and it works well, I like it.

Also http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-105-5700-10-speed-double-groupset/rp-prod115117

TiRed

105 if you like stopping.

AlexSimon

I’ve got Apex. It’s not terrible and it’s lighter, but I wish I had 105.

marko75
    Free Member

I have an Apex front mech and its pants! Not just pants but bloomer pants. Buy 105 or go singlespeed!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

double tap, imo, is rubbish

dragon
    Free Member

I see a trend emerging here.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve used both quite a bit, and could happily live with either. I quite like the double tap.

But I’d go with 105, especially for a bike where (presumably) light weight is not a huge factor. It just seems a bit more solid and sorted.

peath
    Free Member

Had SRAM Apex on my Vaya, the RHS lever mechanism broke (4 weeks ago), returned, a few months out of warranty (2 years), to SRAM and got 105 as I thought I was on to a looser with the warranty claim – got a brand new set of Apex levers back 5 days later – excellent service!

I’m sticking with 105 though… much ‘nicer’… (anyone want to buy a brand new boxed set of SRAM Apex 10 speed levers?! 😉 )

Jamie
    Free Member

Like the double tap of Apex, but everything else felt worse than Shimano.

martymac

i have 105, and tiagra on another bike.
    i have tried doubletap, on a friends bike, and i can see why people would like it.
    but its shimano all the way for me, it works and it keeps on working.
    glad to see ^^^ im not alone.

mike_p
    Free Member

Mrs P has Apex on her Boardman, it does an okay job. But I’m Shimano all the way… had 105 on the old bike, Ultegra on the new. You can tell the difference, Ultegra is worth the extra.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My workshop experience of Sram generally is not great – wears quick, spares cost loads.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ultegra is lovely, but 300 quid vs 500 quid. If you have the cash go Ultegra, if not then 105 will do a great job.

Even Tiagra is good these days, got some on the winter bike and it’s solid stuff. Not that much cheaper than 105 though.

ransos
    Free Member

105, it just works, and is fairly cheap to replace when it eventually wears out. Ultegra is lighter and feels a bit nicer to use, but functionally I don’t think there’s a huge difference.

stevemakin

Teetosugars
    Free Member

105 it is then.

I’ll stick to what I know.

Cheers

Now, double, or Tripple, or MTB C/set?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Double – compact with an 11-28. Gets me up the steep hills round Aberdeen way.

mboy
    Free Member

My workshop experience of Sram generally is not great – wears quick, spares cost loads.

I would agree with al. Double Tap actually works really well when it’s fresh out of the box (and I HATE SRAM gears on MTB’s), but it definitely tends to go out of whack much quicker than Shimano, it’s WAY more dependent on good quality gear cables with a lag free run to work well, and spare parts are horrifically expensive! Set of Apex STI’s at RRP is nigh on as much as Merlin are selling an entire groupset for right now for instance.

Even Tiagra is good these days, got some on the winter bike and it’s solid stuff. Not that much cheaper than 105 though.

Tiagra looks more agricultural, but by god it’s good for the price!

Now, double, or Tripple, or MTB C/set?

What size tyres you going to be running, and are you ever going to load up? For the kind of bike the Fargo is, I’d probably go for a Triple with a 12-30 cassette to give you a 1:1 bottom gear for the odd occasion it might be needed. However, if you’re going to be loading up at all, get a long cage MTB mech on there with an 11-34 and a 26/36/48 touring chainset on there!

hydrophil
    Free Member

Double or triple?
    Did a lot of research on this and concluded that the 34 on the front double compact isnt a great ratio (sure all the roadies will disagree with this) – go for the triple and either 11-28 or 12-30 on the rear and that will give you all the gears you ever need whether loaded or unloaded. 🙂

TiRed

Tiagra shifts better than 105 or Ultegra. The external cables retain that very light Shimano shifting. Much more like Ultegra 6600. If it didn’t have those gear signal windows, it would be a top seller by default. Ultegra is a nicer finish than 105, but £200 goes halfway to some decent light wheels.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Have to disagree with the above but only with the new 6800 ultegra.
    Shifting is as light and positive as any I’ve known.
    If only it didn’t mean new wheels I’d be on it in a flash!
    Brakes are also mega

Haze

Next build will be a summer bike, torn between Ultegra 6800 and Force 22.

My 105 has been brilliant ’til now, don’t think you’ll go far wrong with it.

Northwind

I liked my 105, nothing pretentious or clever, it just worked. Though the newer versions with the fully concealed cables don’t seem to shift as nicely as the old sticky-outy-cables?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

105, with a Deore C/Set ordered.
    Happy days.. 🙂

tomhoward

Tiagra shifts better than 105 or Ultegra

Totally disargee. Got both Ultegra and Tiagra (not sure/bothered about the model, both on 2013 model bikes, both 10 speed, Ultegra crank has 5 arms) the shifting feels much more direct and solid on the Ultegra, whereas the Tiagra feels that bit more vague and a little bit flimsy in comparison. Not bad, just not as good IMO.

ransos
    Free Member

Did a lot of research on this and concluded that the 34 on the front double compact isnt a great ratio (sure all the roadies will disagree with this)

Actually, I think you’re right. I have a 42T middle on my winter bike, and with a 12-25T cassette it’s a brilliant spread of gears for social group riding, with the inner and outer rings only needed when going up steep hills, or pressing on. In contrast, I’m changing between the 34 and 50T rings on my summer bike much more often, plus I need to change two gears at the back due to the larger gap in ratios.

If I were speccing a double again, I’d go go for a 53/39 standard and something like a 12-30T cassette.

zerocool

SRAM can’t/don’t make decent front mechs. The good news is it’s easy to swap them out to Shimano. The rest of the drivetrain is fine though

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone tried the SRAM yaw front mechs, they any better?

Haze

I went with a 36 and 11-23 cassette, tightened things up a little from the 34 and 12-27 previous.

robland
    Free Member

I would go 105 is the workhorse of al groupsets.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘105 or Sram Apex’ is closed to new replies.