Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 104bcd steel 30t Narrow wide chainring…does a reasonable priced one exist?
  • hopefiendboy

Looking to get a narrow wide chainring and after the experience of the last Chinese ALU one wearing out super quick I am keen to get a steel one. However my Google Fu is failing me and I cannot seem to find a reasonable priced 104bcd 30t narrow wide ring.

Have you done the same?

Tia

Paul

jp-t853

Sunrace ms00 are cheap and last forever

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

32T single speed (not n/w) in stock for £25 https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS/on-one-stainless-chainring

p7eaven
    Free Member

FOMTOR Narrow Wide Chainring 30T? From evilzon tho

ajantom

Sunrace ms00 are cheap and last forever

Only in 96bcd unfortunately.

davros

I think uberbike have started doing steel rings.

Edit. Looks like 32 is their smallest. Personally I’d just get a decent alu one. Superstar and uberbike alu both last fine. The only alu ring that I found wore really fast was an early absolute black one. It barely lasted six months.

FAIL
    Free Member

Got an uberbike 32T steel ring, haven’t used it in anger yet but seems okay on my 10speed setup in the workstand.
    https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Made-In-Sheffield-UK-Steel-MTB-E-Bike-Chainring-Steel-Bolts-104BCD-32T

ste_t
    Free Member

Ignore me. Can’t read

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Snail ones on eBay are steel and about £8

shedbrewed
    Free Member
    kayla1
    Free Member

Ta @shedbrewed

We can make a stainless 30t ring but it wouldn’t be narrow/wide and you’d need to use spacers between the ring and crank to make room for the chain- you can see these are machined into aluminium 4×104 30t rings. Some simple stainless spring washers would do the job.

We have a (UK made) 32t oval stainless ring in stock if that’d do?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

It may even be worth it to you buy a new complete SRAM crankset(around £80?) and then get a ready cheap supply of their nice hardwearing £15 or less Eagle steel chainrings.
    When I last looked cheaper steel 104’s were rare.

gazzab1955

@hopefiendboy
    What do you call reasonably priced?
    I bought a Race Face NW 30t 104bcd for £38 last week, choice of 6 colours. It is aluminium though.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-narrow-wide-mtb-single-chainring/rp-prod109723?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OrderConfirmation&utm_content=GB

voodoo-rich

I’m guessing you’ve discounted the Wolf Tooth model at £96… not exactly reasonably-priced, but fits the criteria

wzzzz
    Free Member

FOMTOR Narrow Wide Chainring 30T? From evilzon tho

These look the same as the £8 snail ones down to saying snail on them, but are £17

TBH just keep buying £8 snail chainrings….they can be recycled…..I have been doing this on one bike.

However I just noticed some of them say “7075-T6” on them which is good if true, but some of them say “0705-T6” on them, who knows what that is supposed to mean.

7000 series aluminium much harder wearing than 6000 series, hard to trust what exactly you are getting tho.

I’m going to give a superstar one a go next time, at least you can trust they will actually be 7075 T6. They are £30 but frequently have big discount codes on them. Will they last 3x longer?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Those FOMTOR rings are Snail. The question you need to ask yourself is how much longer you expect a “reasonably priced” alternative to last compared to what you had before.

If I’m honest for 104 it’s alu or bust if you want narrow wide in 30t. For the price you would pay for a decent ring you could have a set of Deore cranks. I hate the wastefulness but that’s just the limitation of the standard.

Kaylas steel rings are good though. 👍

hopefiendboy

I’m considering the uberbike NW steel one at forty quid now. 32t and suck it up.on the climbs!

Yes wolftooth one but the cost is unbelievable

asbrooks

I have a superstar one that’s looking for a new home. It’s not new but it has hardly been used, probably a couple of hundred miles if that. I swapped it out for an AB oval one.

jp-t853

Apologies my Google fu failed me with the surname recommendation.

I see there are Hope 30T now chainrings on ebay for £36. 7075 not steel but you would hope they would last

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘104bcd steel 30t Narrow wide chainring…does a reasonable priced one exist?’ is closed to new replies.