Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 100mile overnight road ride? Who's in?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk/

Anyone else up for it? Guess if there's enough of us we could organise a minibus from Exmouth back to Bristol? I'm planning on just doing it by train but if anyone's driving up from London or the M4 I'm prepared to exchange beer tokens for a lift.

The missus has offered to do the driving (and even offered to follow as a support car!) but that would probably require neverending payback of brownie points and I dont think she realises how boring following 100 sweaty arsed cyclists driving at 15mph on country roads for 6 hours would be! So she'll be the sensible one and spend the night tucked up in bed while I batter my legs into oblivion with a bunch of mad roadies.

oldgit
    Free Member

Don't mean to sound negative, but is that worth getting out of bed for?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was tempted, but I can't get the time off work 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ourmaninthenorth

Don't mean to sound negative, but is that worth getting out of bed for?

It's a Dunwich Dynamo type event. I agree, it would only realy make more sense if it were run like an audax, with riders doing the return leg, but since people seem content to spend 5-6 hours riding during thr night, then more power to their elbow..! 😀

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I'm doing it. Planning to just ride back. Its only 320k.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bit far for me + ill still be recovering from a 600k audax ….2 weeks before.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Seriously ADH? I didn't think you were happy with your fitness levels at the mo.

BTW missed you by a gnats fart yesterday according th Anthony.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Riding back? Rather you than me!

Might do a 90km loop in the Peaks this weekend in preperation. anyone know any way of finding the total elevation on mapmyride.com? I cant seem to find it? Profile looks similar but with less of the flat bits, I'm doing manchester road from sheffield – glossop, down to hayfield, over chappel/winnats pass to castleton then back up over hathersage and into Sheffield. I've yet to find a more painfull 56miles in the country! Although the return leg is fun, let off the brakes at the end of winnats pass and the momentum feels like it's enough to keep you going almost to the mountain rescue post in hathersage with minimal pedaling!

trail_rat
    Free Member

press "elevation" and it will give you a profile , then look i nteh box under the total distance it gives you total ascent and descent

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Seriously ADH? I didn't think you were happy with your fitness levels at the mo.

Well I'm not fast, so I won't be tanking it along, but I'm pretty sure I can still ride all day and night no problem.

Care to join me? At least for the outward leg?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting…..the route passes right by folks front door at about 75 miles, so could ride it, then ride back to theirs and meet the Mrs and little'un there the next day……

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'd happily join you both ways, but I did the Clic24 a couple of weeks back and the 12 this weekend, I think I'd better not ask for another pass quite yet.

😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, espec with a black mtns gnar-fest planned too.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Indeed, although I already have permission for that.

ourmaninthenorth

doing manchester road from sheffield – glossop, down to hayfield, over chappel/winnats pass to castleton then back up over hathersage and into Sheffield.

Ignoring the fact that you should be heading towards Penistone and then to Holmfirth before coming back over Holme Moss to Glossop….

From Glossop, rather than going up the main road towards Hayfield, turn right towards Charlesworth, then left up Monks Road. This tops out on Chunal Hill, and spits you back onto the main road for the descent to Little Hayfield.

Once you get into Hayfield, turn right towards New Mills. In New Mills, oppsite the church at the top of the hill, turn left and wiggle over to Furness Vale and then Whaley Bridge. In Whaley, head towards Buxton, turn left at the cross roads (at the foot of Long Hill) and then left between the houses along eccles Road until you arrive in Chapel. From there, rather than take the Sheffield Road up to Winnats, take Sparowpit Lane and suffer…

Enjoy..! 😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

this is not… of all the road rides you could pick in the peak you seem to have gone for some of the busiest roads around! crazy choices if you ask me.

i know of some MUCH nicer routes if you dont wanna get buzzed by HGV's for the first hour or two…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmm, sounds painfull, I found that route originally as it involves a bare minimum of turns, just left at the trafic lights in glossop and left again in chapel. Going to have sto stick the compact on though as my knee's arent what they used to be 🙁 , although I checked the other day at the gum on the vitrual trainer thingies, I can now put power down right upto 200rpm and actualy hit 235rpm! Anoyingly it still peaks at 80rpm though, and anything below 70 puts too much force on my knee 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

hmmm, sounds painful

Meant to be.

there are lots of good lanes out there, as tracknicko says. the main roads are pretty busy, and you don't need to ride up them….

pjt201
    Free Member

i was going to do it, but now have to be in london that weekend so won't be able to make it anymore.

slugwash
    Free Member

I've had this one chalked up on my calender for a few weeks but now have a social function on the same evening. Maybe next year then. Hope the weather's good for the ride & you all enjoy it 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘100mile overnight road ride? Who's in?’ is closed to new replies.