Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • £1000 for a short travel XC style full sus? Any suggestions?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a short travel ie 120mm full suspension rig and have about £1000 – have you any suggestions?
    I don’t need a full on gnar enduro weapon for what I ride but I would like something to take the edge off long XC / bridleway type rides.

I had a Specialized Camber 29er previously, but the proprietary fittings limited shock replacement (the X Fusion was rubbish!) and I got fed up with it.

Any suggestions to put on my search list? I don’t mind 2nd hand but looking for fairly new standards

gribble
    Free Member

Well, I hate to say it but that sounds like a Camber. I just got Mrs G a 27.5 basic Camber; x-fusion shock, proprietary fittings and reduced it was about £1,250 reduced.

You could look on Paul’s Cycles; an Anthem or a Trance would do the job. You could also look at Calibre Bossnut or something from Canyon.

I am not sure you will get something new for £1k with decent spec, but you will get close at just over.

parkesie
    Free Member

Boardmans Worth a look.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Why not buy one of the Bikeyoke yokes to fit a standard shock to the Camber?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Yes – Boardman.

Or 130 / 130 mm trail bike Calibre Bossnut (Gooutdoors). Less than 1 k right now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p7759/GIANT-ANTHEM-3-2017

Anthems are great bikes. A really good frame and suspension set up you could happily upgrade.

lucky7500

I was going to suggest the Bossnut as well. It would be perfectly capable on xc duties and plenty of fun if you find yourself doing anything more technical.

marcg868
    Free Member

Got a Cube Stereo 120 full Xt M8000 group set, Manitou fork and shock. 120 mm.
    Yours for £750 size Large. Ideal as a short travel xc bike. Only 18 month old. I’m just not using it.
    https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/fullsuspension/stereo/cube-stereo-120-hpa-race-iridiumnblue-2017/

loughor
    Free Member

@idiotdogbrain
    Ooh that’s interesting, I’ve a 29 camber and the shock is dying. Can’t see the widget on bike yoke, and any idea of suitable replacement shock size ? Thnx

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Bossnut as well. It would be perfectly capable on xc duties and plenty of fun if you find yourself doing anything more technical.

Yes – guess in the 1 k budget there is no better full sus around.
    Covers XC and trail.

My Bossnut V2: real fun machine. Preassembly from calibre bikes is crappy, paint is soft. But the design and the parts are really o.k.. Use my Bossnut a lot. Rugged bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Personally, unless there was an absolute killer deal going, I’d be unhappy some of the compromises made on new full-sus bikes at £1k.

I’d be looking for a lightly used Anthem, Fuel EX or similar.

kayla1
    Free Member

Used Cube Stereo I reckon, they tend to have decent bits fitted and there’s loads of them about.

canopy
    Free Member

marin hawk hill ?

but.. XC style I’d possible try find a bargain rift zone (can be had for as low as 1200) to have those 29 wheels. note: a lot of whats mentioned above is 27.5.

(I have a marin b-17, which came as a 27.5+ and shares the same frame as a rift zone. the rrp is 1800 and i paid 1300. i got the b-17 as it came with a dropper fitted. i’ve put a 29 wheelset on and its really good as a 29er. run eeither wheelset depending what type of ride i’m doing, for a winch/plummet ‘trail bombing’ 27.5+ wins but for XC and tamer trali centre ridrs 29er)

molgrips
    Free Member

Marcg’s bike looks lovely from the website.

dai3015
    Free Member

Cheers all

Will have a look at all the suggestions and see what’s what

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘£1000 for a short travel XC style full sus? Any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.