Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • £1,000 29er required
  • JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Friend of mine is getting into riding off road. I have taken him out with borrowed bikes and he is now looking to get his own. £1,000 to spend courtesy of the cycle scheme (yes he will be using it to commute as far as the railway station) and he is restricted to Evans.
    Initially I had suggested a large Kona Taro (he is a big lad, bout 6’3″ goes by the nickname of Mungo or Johnny big potatoes) as the larger wheels will look normal. The Taro was suggested as it doesn’t look like a focussed XC bike but more like a good fun all round trail bike, but it now appears it is over budget. I have no experience with 29″ wheels and am under 6′ so can any of you Clydesdales out there help please?
    Short list are;

Charge Cooker 2013
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/cooker-2013-mountain-bike-ec042785

Norco Nitro 9.2
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/nitro-92-2013-mountain-bike-ec041202

Rockhopper Pro
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/rockhopper-pro-2013-mountain-bike-ec042246

Pinnacle Ramin 3
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/ramin-3-2013-mountain-bike-ec044228

The Pinnacle actually looks to be the slackest so closer to the Taro / easier for beginners to attain confidence, good forks and Shimano brakes rather than the elixir 1’s (yuk)found on many at this price. The bike snob in me is resisting the Pinnacle but should it be??

If any of you cats out there have either of these, I would love to know your opinions

Thank you 😀

ads678

Cats, really, is it still the 50’s?

Norco looks the best to me, Pinnacle looks good as well though, The other 2 look awful!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

The paint on the spesh is a bit minging, quite like the Charge though, maybe its just the skin wall tyres swaying me. They were all the rage in the 50’s don’t you know.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ads678

They were all the rage in the 50’s don’t you know.

😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

The pinnacle looks the best bet for purpose and it has good kit…

ignore the name, its a bike and will do just as well if not better than the others mentioned…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s where I am at the moment. The forks look to be the best out of the bunch, drive train is service parts anyway and it doesn’t have bloody Avid Elixer 1’s on.

warns74
    Free Member

According to this month’s MBR you should be buying a Scott Scale 960?
    Fairly comprehensive review of a number of hartails in there so could be worth a read?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up Warns.

The Scott looks a bit too XC focused for a large heavy newby, but worthy spec certainly.
    I will get Mungo to spend out on a copy of MBR. I haven’t read one of those for years, ever since I couldn’t find any articles in amongst the Specialized adverts so may have a flick through myself.

warns74
    Free Member

No problem, shame “Mungo” (poor lad) is restricted to Evans as I’ve recently bought an orange clockwork 29er frame and built it up. Im 6’4″ (thankfully “lofty” was the worse I ever got called!) and its THE most comfortable trail-focussed geometry of any bike Ive owned.

Basil

A grand? Wrong forum

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’m testing the Pinnacle right now, it’s very short for a given size (my medium says 5’7″–5’10” but tbh I find it on the short side and I’m 5’8″.

However, it’s remarkably nimble and very fun to ride. The skinny X-kings and 680mm bar are somewhat at odds with the 15QR Recon but I’m going to plonk a Rubber Queen on the front and some 710mm bars and I reckon it’ll be a little ripper.

Spec is hardly setting the world alight compared to a Canyon or similar. But it’s well thought out and there’s nothing to let you down. FULL Deore group inc the very good brakes (no Alivo downgrades where you might not spot them). Recon Gold 15 QR fork is slooshy and noisy but controlled, stiff and does what it’s supposed to.

In all, I’m rather surprised by how well it rides but then it is designed by the guy that used to design the Genesis Altitude and Core so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

When a guy that large refers to himself in the third person as Mungo, we tend to play along. I got a photo sent through last weekend of a flattened 8′ shed with the tag line ‘Mungo Smash!’.

He is a fan of Orange bikes, the Clockwork maybe on the upgrade path. I would like him to get to love the riding before I risk falling out with his missus though.

AlexSimon

If you’re stuck with Evans you may as well get the Pinnacle – looks pretty sorted and specced for £1000

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Charge… i love mine.

RRD
    Free Member

Don’t Evans do some 29er cannondale bikes? I thought this might be a better frame to upgrade?

avdave2

£100 to spend on other bits with the Pinnacle as well, you can claim that as your consultancy fee. 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

The Pinnacle now with fat tyre/wide bar treatment… 28lb 8oz with pedals btw

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice and comments guys. I reckon the Pinnacle has clinched it.
    £100 to spend on wider bars and sturdier rubber will help too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘£1,000 29er required’ is closed to new replies.