Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 100 Things To Slightly Improve Your Bike Life Without Really Trying
  • singletrackmag
    Free Member

The Guardian published a list of 100 Things To Slightly Improve Your Life Without Really Trying. We thought we’d bring you our own list of marginal ga …

By singletrackmag

Get the full story on our front page at:

100 Things To Slightly Improve Your Bike Life Without Really Trying

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

Sandwich

Pick black nitrile gloves, oil and grease resistant and less likely to cause an allergic reaction. (Blue are food safe only and split easily on contact with oil/grease)

ampthill

Not sure how taking Strava off phone will help? But lots of the other ideas are good

peekay

20. Take a quiet moment after every ride, while you’re in the shower, to remember your favourite bit of it.

😏

Kuco

(Blue are food safe only and split easily on contact with oil/grease)

Don’t know how you work that one out we use blue nitrile gloves at work including our fitters using oils and grease and have no issues.

angrycat
    Free Member

He’s probably thinking of the polythene like ones they use in fast food places.

jonba
    Free Member

Regardless of colour (it doesn’t matter*) I’ve never been convinced that thin nitrile/latex gloves under other gloves makes any difference. It goes against my experience and knowledge of how insulation works.

I know people say it does but I’d love some one to explain how they think it works.

*There’s an EN standard that details resistance of gloves. With nitrile gloves it largely a function of thickness that gives protection and resistance to organic liquids.

Klunk
    Free Member

I hate rules

Rubber_Buccaneer

Were the Guardian 100 things as shit as that? I don’t want to check for fear of doubling up the time I won’t get back 😀

Mark

Bad day Rubber?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Well, it was going well until I started reading this list of 100 things.  I should have given up at about 30 but I felt sort of invested by then and it all went downhill from there 🙁

jimmy

Stretch before and after a ride. Maybe use a foam roller too.

Before a ride? Nooooo no no

Bookmark the singletrackworld.com home page and visit every day. Hey, visit twice!

Missing the word “only”

Phil_H

10.5 Never take sugar free haribo on a ride 😱💩😱

brakestoomuch

For me, number 6 should be plural.
    Numbers 12 and 13 sound like they should apply to life in general.

augustuswindsock

Pop a face cloth in your pocket, especially on warmer rides, when you’re sweating cobs at the top of a climb and its stinging your eyes give your face a good wipe with it (and the top of your head if you’ve got no hair there – like me!) far more absorbent than a snot-wipe or the hem of a nylon jersey!
    Handy for wiping down wounds too, preferably before you’ve grimed it up on your mucky face and head though😀

jam-bo

^^^

do you mean a hanky? My gran would be proud…

Cowman

Just some thoughts…

Volunteer in some capacity, ideally in a way that helps youngsters enjoy the hobby.
    Learn a ride well so you can lead it and make it safe for others.
    Take youngsters out on a good ride that you know is low risk, but they think is amazing
    Whinge if your kids don’t clean their bikes, but do it anyway for them. It’ll save you money in the long run.
    Long term loan out old bikes if your in a position to.
    Accept that if it moves and contacts another surface it’ll wear out. Especially in the UK in winter. Budget for this and don’t skip services.
    Don’t skimp on spending on helmets
    Contact points are vital, buy the best you can
    Learn enough about nature to enjoy pointing things out to others when you stop.
    Understand you don’t need to be the best rider to lead a really enjoyable ride. So give it a go.
    Seek out people trying new things with mountain biking (YouTube route guides, accommodation, podcasts etc) and support as you can. Don’t critisise them.
    Engage with and support racing at all levels.

convert

Take on a ride purely for the views regardless of what is under the wheels. Plan to get to a specific point for sunrise and sunset. Soak it in with you eyes not an electronic device.

augustuswindsock

A hanky won’t cut it Jambo, a proper towelling flannel face cloth, save the hanky for snot and such like😉

colin9

Not sure how taking Strava off phone will help? But lots of the other ideas are good

I agree. Try it?

gazzab1955

Good list!
    Always forget to put the plastic gloves on when servicing the bike, black greasy fingers are the usual prompt that I have forgotten them. Don’t feel I have serviced the bike properly if my hands are clean afterwards 🙂
    I would also add to the list:
    > Visit a proper pub during or post ride, not bloody Spoons!
    > If there is a coffee & cake stop on route use an independent shop, not bloody CostaBucks!
    > Check your tools and spares before you go out, recently rode with a mate who had a puncture and found 5 (count ’em!) empty CO2 cartridges in his backpack 🙂

clubby

Love the cheek of the person that put 33 and 34 in that order.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

> Visit a proper pub during or post ride, not bloody Spoons!
    > If there is a coffee & cake stop on route use an independent shop, not bloody CostaBucks!

These two are just weird as I can’t imagine :
    How anyone would not take them as given.
    What sort of crappy mtb ride goes past either a spoons or a Costa.

thepurist

If you encounter parent & child riding, give them room and encouragement. Don’t be the one who makes the kids stop just so you can get by – they deserve the flow as much as you do.

gazzab1955

@thegeneralist – Pretty presumptuous on your part about where people get out to ride, sometimes the only source of refreshment is the local town, the natural habitat of Spoons and Costa.

steontoast
    Free Member

All great, apart from the no phones bit.

ALWAYS take a phone with you. Strava or not.

lunge

If you have a 2 hour riding window, use it all for riding and get the best out of the day. Coffee and cake can be done at another time.

Find better climbs. So many rides just go up fire roads, make the climbs interesting and you’ll enjoy them more.

Ride your favourite route backwards occasionally.

tomhoward

Don’t bother yourself with what other people are riding.

ayjaydoubleyou

Always take a waterproof? there are many rides/times of year where putting a waterproof coat on is going to leave me wetter from sweat than from the rain. Not to mention carrying a waterproof will almost certainly neccessitate a backpack, which is going to sweat even more.

The random Drive once a week one is a bit out of character with the rest of the list. I should proably set off now to have a chance of making wednesday’s meeting by bike. I kind of need my job to have money to live.

MrAgreeable

Sort though your old bike parts stash and pass the usable stuff on to your local bike recyling project, your mates or their kids. Wonderfully cathartic.

Storer76

Anybody else read this with Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen going round their head?

4orust

Dynamic stretching before the ride, static stretching after.

Olly
    Free Member

Anybody else read this with Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen going round their head?

I was dissapointed “wear sunscreen” wasnt No. 100 when i saw the Guardian version

matt_outandabout

Don’t argue on STW.

Oh.
    Wait.
    Sorry.

thenorthwind

Yes, I read it in his voice, but was trying to remember the name of the track so I could make the same comment!

beefy

Wow. Lovely list. Should one of the rules be:

“Don’t feel the need to comment on everything on STW”?

Oh hang on.

Dam.

onewheelgood

Always bring Haribo on a ride.

Offer them to your vegetarian friends and then pull them back, saying “Oh, sorry, you can’t eat these, they’ve got pigs feet in them”. Always raises a laugh.

alexandersmith

“25. Look closely at drivers, especially at junctions and roundabouts.”

Make eye contact. You need to know they’ve seen you.

jam-bo

Wow. Lovely list. Should one of the rules be:

“Don’t feel the need to comment on everything on STW”?

Oh hang on.

Dam.

whatever happened to that guy who pretty much replied first on every single thread. Mike something?

ransos
    Free Member

whatever happened to that guy who pretty much replied first on every single thread. Mike something?

Miketually? Haven’t seen him for a while…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘100 Things To Slightly Improve Your Bike Life Without Really Trying’ is closed to new replies.