Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 100 miles for the 1st time…what could possible go wrong?
  • wombat

Next Thursday I’ll be setting out on my 1st 100 miler. York to Manchester (with a little extra loop to make up the distance) ending with my industry’s Black Tie summer ball in the evening.

I’ll be riding a steel Raleigh 12 speed racer (this is the correct terminology since the bike’s approximately 25 years old) that I’ve not seen yet (bought through Ebay, collecting it tomorrow).

Furthest I’ve ridden in a day so far is 70 miles (took 6 hours on road on my hardtail with semi slicks pumped up really really hard).

Of the group of 4 of us doing this ride (for charidee don’tcha know) 2 of us are regular cyclists (Me being one of them).

What could possible go wrong 😆 (apart from my dancing being slightly curtailed)?

paddy0091
    Free Member

Plenty of:

food
    fluids
    chamois cream

You’ve done a 70miler, on your own? so 100 in a group will be fine.

enjoy!

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ll be riding a steel Raleigh 12 speed racer … approximately 25 years old … that I’ve not seen yet

Some alarm bells ringing there.

lemonysam
    Free Member

What could possible go wrong?

Not a lot – if you go at your own pace, stop when you need to and eat and drink plenty then it’s not really that far to do in a day. Have fun!

rOcKeTdOg

Check tyres n tubes on new bike aren’t perished & fit a saddle ur used to and it’ll be fine

Crell
    Free Member

I went from 70 to 105 and then 140 over 5 weeks or so. Its a mix of pace and what your head is telling you. Take it easy and keep your HR down. Eat and drink regularly as above. The bike would be worrying me more. It’ll be a lot easier in a group. Don’t forget to tame your turns.

wombat

Am planning to do this…

go at your own pace, stop when you need to and eat and drink plenty then it’s not really that far to do in a day. Have fun

and this…

Check tyres n tubes on new bike aren’t perished & fit a saddle ur used to

and will be trying to silence (or at least not listen to) these…

Some alarm bells ringing there.

I’m fine with roadside tools & bodging so should be fine (am more worried about getting my bow tie straight for the evening) 8)

kendo954
    Free Member

Done 72 on Sunday past, furthest yet, has me toying with doing 100 over the next month or so…

Good Lucknow:)

lyrikal
    Free Member

One thing you might notice when switching from an mtb to a road bike is that it takes a bit of getting used to the head down looking up, i find it a bit uncomfortable on the neck at times. Get a few long runs in on the new (old) bike first!

steve_b77
    Free Member

“What could possibly go wrong?”

– you get your fueling all wrong and bonk like a good ‘un, lying at the side of the road wondering where you are and whats happening.

– it lashes it down for the whole ride and you finish thoroughly disheveled and pee’d right off.

– 25yr old frame is rusted beyond belief where you can’t see and it snaps.

but then again it could all be fine

victor123
    Free Member

Check out all your tires and chains and screws and all the nuts and bolts before going for the long journey and good luck.

epicyclo

Nothing will go wrong.

Good luck.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I would take an energy gel every hour and carb drink 600-750ml every hour too.. I seem to struggle without this recently even on 60 mile rides so on a 100 I’d suffer just riding on water. Maybe you’re heaps fitter though. Just hydrate, that’s the main thing!

and pump everyone’s tyres up as much as you dare on the day.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll be riding a steel Raleigh 12 speed racer (this is the correct terminology since the bike’s approximately 25 years old) that I’ve not seen yet (bought through Ebay, collecting it tomorrow).

The bike may explode/collapse? I’m guessing you will be giving it a thorough going over when you get it.

Of the group of 4 of us doing this ride (for charidee don’tcha know) 2 of us are regular cyclists (Me being one of them).

I’d be more worried about the other 2!

As it’s for Charity and 2 are not experienced cyclists by the sound of it, can you get a few mates to be on call as support crew in case something goes wrong.

After that don’t touch a drop until you have hydrated and eaten at the party.

DT78
    Free Member

Hope you aren’t sensititive with bike fit and aches and pains….

wombat

I’ve done a few multi-day races on foot and bike so I hope my eating and drinking is sorted (famous last words lol)

I’d be more worried about the other 2!

Me too!!

maccruiskeen

ending with my industry’s Black Tie summer ball in the evening.

I think what can go wrong is you are going to be able to get sooo drunk sooooo quickly. You’ll be the life and soul of the party before everyone else has had a chance to check their coats and bags and then you’ll spend the rest of the night asleep in your dinner.

wombat

*UPDATE*

Chosen route turned out to be 92 miles so I’ve still to complete my 1st 100 however, apart from this……

New bike performed flawlessly, best £100 I’ve spent for a long time!!

It only rained for the last 62 miles 😀

No mechanicals, punctures or accidents at all between us (apart from the zip on my suit bag getting stuck closed so I had to break it with my leatherman).

1 person dropped out after 25 miles (but he was totally unprepared and didn’t appear to know how far it was going to be in spite of having been sent a detailed route plan 🙄 )

Didn’t get too drunk at the evening “do” and had a thoroughly good day all round.

Next year we’re planning to extend the route to make it a round 100 and ride back home the following day 8)

rOcKeTdOg

Excellent! (I’d have done the extra 8 miles though just to bag it) easy innit?

corroded
    Free Member

Nice one. After my first 100 mile+ race I was pretty much comatose after a cople of hours so I’m more impressed that you held it together for the black-tie do!

chives
    Free Member

Glad you made it! A friend of a friend completed the 100-ish miles (Aberdovey bike ride) on a Raleigh Chopper, dressed as a school kid! 😯 (Nice one Mal).

psling
    Free Member

Nice job. How did you get on with the bow-tie though? Real one I hope; proper babe magnets especially when you get them practicing to tie them on their thighs…

Kevevs
    Free Member

LOL Chives! Your Chopper riding mate is now my new cycling hero 😀

oldnpastit

So, you rode 100 miles in black tie? That’s amazing!

wombat

@Psling of course it was a real bow tie, I’m not a complete heathen 😉

Went from arriving in reception at the Hilton soaked through at 7pm to appearing at the dinner all suited & booted at quarter to 8 with a properly tied bow 8)

feisty
    Free Member

I am sure you will be fine, I went from riding 100 miles a month then after 4 weeks of ramping my riding up I did my first 100 miler a few weekends ago, offroad (flat ish) on my single speed 29er in 6hr56min with one 10 minute stop at 50 miles for an energy bar and that was it. Was pretty easy but then my legs seem to like distance riding.

As has been said check your bike thoroughly, take tools and a means to get the train back etc (no one wants to be stranded miles from home)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘100 miles for the 1st time…what could possible go wrong?’ is closed to new replies.