Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • 100 miles a day for 31 days?
  • igm

Spare room in York. And a garage for t’bike.

Not that that is anything like 100 miles from your home of course, but if the logistics works out the offer is there.

antigee

Was going to say same as Metalheart go metric 100kms a day time for pub lunches and cafe stops converted to 31 days and back to imperial just short of a 2000mile trip so a handful of longer days would make that number

Whatever enjoy

flap_jack
    Free Member

I went to a talk by Steve Abraham earlier this year.  Amongst lots of other interesting stuff, he mentioned tyres.  He used Schwalbe Ones, tubeless.  In 150,000 miles he had only 3 occasions when he had to take one off to fix it.  My jaw almost actually dropped.  Not sure what the equivalent would be for touring.

belugabob
    Free Member

I’m based in Sussex, so probably handy for joining your for part of the lands end to Kent section.

Also willing to offer advice on hill avoidance and cafe hunting in the area.

I’ve been getting into multi-day trips, recently, but nothing quite as epic as your plans

freeagent
    Free Member

I personally think you should scale back the camping element and throw in a proper bed every couple of days.

Travel lodges/YHA/Premier Inn can be very cheap if you book in advance, and you’ll be glad of a bath/nice bed after a couple of 100 mile days back-to-back.

crazy-legs

The riding itself it actually the easy part so long as you know where you’re going and know how to pace yourself.

As @freeagent alludes to above, it’s the logistics that gets most people on long tours like that – finding a campsite, washing, showering, eating, ensuring sufficient food / water reserves. The thing about a proper bed is excellent advice.

Go through booking.com and you can get free cancellation up to 24hrs in advance so if plans change, you’re not going to make it to [location] etc you can just cancel with no penalties. Similarly it’s a very useful tool if you get to a [location], decide you can’t go any further, it’s raining, you’re soaked and you can just get your phone out and find a place. I’ve done that a couple of times and a friend relied almost entirely on that approach to finding accommodation during TransCon. A bit more expensive on occasions but often hotels / B&Bs are happy to fill spare rooms.

flyingmonkeycorps

If you find yourself near Hull then I’ll happily ride with you for a day and offer you a bed (subject to clearing it with the Mrs).

stevemtb
    Free Member

That’s Land’s End to John O’Groats three times. Massive challenge.

Attempted JOGLE a few years ago as an overweight but reasonably fit mid 30s regular biker. 6 months intense training saw me as fit as I’d ever been but still not fit enough.

By day 3 or 4 I was in trouble with injuries, the group was going too fast and should have split early on every day (the 100+ mile leg from Inverness to Glasgow was done at a 20+ average). By day 5 I was pedalling with one leg to get to the hostel, day 6 I climbed off the bike as I was pushing up hills unable to put weight on my right leg. It really, really hurt quitting especially with a lot of sponsorship behind me. Not really got back into road biking since.

Even slowing it down there will be days where everything will hurt. The slower guys in our group needed an easy day on day 9, they slowed it down even more, lost the support van, missed dinner and had to get rescued as it got dark (they went back to where they climbed off the next day).

We stayed in hostels most nights, the day after a rubbish night sleep due to a snorer is awful. The weather was glorious for us but self-supported you’re not going to have down days to wash and dry your kit.

I’d honestly say it sounds like you’re setting your sights very, very high. If you’re going for it I’d recommend at least a year of training with multiple back to back 100s. I missed that, did a few 100+ rides but never followed up with a long day in the saddle the next day, would have gone out on the mtb or something.

Try riding 10 miles a day (or increase depending how fit you are), every day for a month. It’s more difficult than it sounds when you’re legs are tired and you get a couple of days with stinking weather. Hitting that many miles in a month isn’t difficult but the commitment to climb on your bike every day no matter what is very difficult.

Keeping from getting ill during a month of being totally run down will be tough too.

If you do go for it good luck! Sorry for the negativity, just from personal experience I’d say it’s one for someone super fit to start with…

With no commitments and a month free I’d be packing a touring bike and gear and heading somewhere warm that would be interesting to explore to pedal round and enjoy without putting the pressure on for hitting mileage targets. Actually that’s not true, I’d be packing the van up with road and mountain bikes and setting up in the Alps for a month. That would be a superb month off 🙂

Harry_the_Spider
    aP
    Free Member

100km a day would be much more achievable. We’ve done some rides in France and Italy carrying kit and doing back to back 100 mile days loaded up is tough for a mortal.

Dickyboy

+1 for realising how tough a challenge it will be, my brother tried it for 18days through Spain to see if he could still manage camping & 100mpd – he has in the past managed something like 440miles in a 24hr time trial, so totally effing crackers

You’ll need to do a lot of training between now & May, good luck.

ton

read that Harry.  good read, as is Mud sweat and gears. a lejog visiting loads of boozers.

looking at yha accommodation now. don’t think the camping is a good idea.

hopefully if this all comes together, I will be prepared.  I am pretty good at suffering, and have bounced back from the edge a few times.

we will see.

butcher

…you’ll be glad of a bath/nice bed after a couple of 100 mile days back-to-back.

My experience of travelling those distances is that you’re glad of a proper campsite! A shower after cycling all day is a real luxury. If they have food, or a bar, it’s a treat. Never been fussed about a B&B, partly because I’m not there long enough to enjoy it and I sleep just fine in the tent.

I’d suggest one or the other. It never fails to amaze me how much difference the weight makes, even on the flat. And while I might manage 100 miles in 6 hours on the road bike, some days I’ve only managed 40 miles in that time touring.

If you’re to bin the camping idea, I’d consider binning the racks and panniers too. Get a large seatpack, maybe a frame bag. Couple sets of clothes and somewhere to store your next couple of meals.

weeksy

Bed and stuff in West Berks, I’ll even do a day riding with you if you want…. I won’t be doing the day after though !

Massive massive task that ..

stevemtb
    Free Member

Couple of other thoughts from me, if anyone joins you they ride at your pace and to your route. If it’s too fast or slow for them tough, they can do one. You need to always be on a pace you’re happy with.

One we never did that I wish we had, get a few miles in before breakfast. Get up and have a couple of bars then pedal a few miles to get a proper breakfast. If you’ve done 20 miles before you’ve even had breakfast you’re a long way into your daily target.

Know where bike shops are and how to get to them.

Have some sports massage options available. It can make a massive difference.

nedrapier

That would be well impressive.  Big target, as plenty have said.

You could save yourself 100 miles by doing it in April, June or September, though.

fasthaggis

One we never did that I wish we had, get a few miles in before breakfast

Aye,this every time for me.Start early – finish early.

Bike and gear prepped every night before,so it’s just a quick cuppa/pack ,then on the road and stop later for breakfast.

scud
    Free Member

Whilst it is good to have targets, at the end of the day you have to enjoy it too, so rather than saying i am going to do x miles in y days, set yourself the target of riding from one to place to another and enjoy it, some days you’ll be able to out a big day in, but all it takes is a day of hard rain, or a day where you have to wait an hour for a shop to open and you’re left chasing your tail to reach your target.

I’ve done 7 days of back to back 100 milers and it is do-able for someone of average fitness like me, but if you are touring the idea is that it is tough, but it also has to be memorable rather than spent with your head down and staring at your stem “getting the miles in”

crazy-legs

then on the road and stop later for breakfast.

I do not function until I’ve had a bowl of 3 weetabix with muesli on top. And a cup of coffee.
    And woe betide anyone who tries to mess with that schedule.

scotroutes

Hire a campervan/motorhome and have the Missus meet you at the end of each day, for lunch etc.

hooli

Sounds a tough challenge! What about a ride of 3000 miles covered in a month rather than a ton a day? There will be times where the weather is bad, it is hilly, you don’t feel well etc and it will be a real slog. On those days, I’d rather have a short day and make up some miles on other days when you are feeling strong or have a tailwind.

Remember even the TDF has a couple of rest days, your body will need them and it gives you a chance to see things, do some washing and recover a bit.

ElShalimo

@ton – could you do a 100m/100km routine to save the body & mind?

You’d still be doing a “century” each day. It might help you recover knowing that after a tough 100m you’ve “only” got 100km the next day.

freeagent
    Free Member

looking at yha accommodation now. don’t think the camping is a good idea.

hopefully if this all comes together, I will be prepared.  I am pretty good at suffering, and have bounced back from the edge a few times.

Whilst being ultra scheduled/organised feels like it’ll take the fun out of it, i actually think it takes the pressure off and lets you concentrate on riding/enjoying the views etc.

Don’t neglect your bike either – for a 3100 mile trip i’d be looking at booking in somewhere for a tune-up/service half way round. i’m sure you can find someone willing to help you out? a silly mechanical has the ability to totally derail your trip..

I’d also think about arranging a drop of clean clothes/supplies to a hotel/YHA half way round – you can then re-use the packaging and post your dirties back home one your way out the next morning. Don’t underestimate the joy of clean socks/bib shorts after a fortnight of rinsing them out in hostel sinks.

freeagent
    Free Member

What about a ride of 3000 miles covered in a month rather than a ton a day?

There is some good advice here – i’d not get too fixated an exactly 100 miles per day – 80 Hilly miles in the Peaks is so much harder than 120 miles of flat/rolling South coast coastal route.

I’d try and look at an average of 1000 miles every 10 days..

thorpie
    Free Member

Pretty tough I reckon. I bikepacked the NC500 and only managed two 100 mile plus days. It’s the equivalent of John o Groats to Inverness everyday! I’d have a crack though.

martymac

+1 for a frame bag/seat pack, for 2 reasons

1: you will carry less crap (by necessity)

2: it transforms the feel of the bike, for the better.

ime.

chilled76
    Free Member

Your name is “ton” it’s clearly your destiny!

Do it!

P.s.

Not in January

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘100 miles a day for 31 days?’ is closed to new replies.