Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 100 km walk in 24hr …… any advice?
  • Premier Icon tod456
    Free Member

hiya,
    I’ve doing a 100km walk from London to Brighton in a month, been training for the last 2 months, building up the miles. Think I’ve got most stuff covered but if anyone has done anything similar and has any tips or hints, they would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks.

Premier Icon b1galus
    Free Member

keep putting one foot in front of the other. oh, and drink lots

Premier Icon wallop

That is fast!

Premier Icon Jamie
    Free Member

That is fast!

Average walking pace, innit? Roughly 20 min/mile with 3 hours for breaks.

…which is obviously not to detract from the mountain the OP has to climb….or walk rather.

Back on topic, I would suggest the OP puts the following on their iPod and set it on repeat for the duration 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM0sTNtWDiI[/video]

Premier Icon I_Ache
    Free Member

I think I would do it in 12 hours with that on repeat.

Premier Icon wallop

My Friday night red wine head got the maths wrong – I thought he was going to have average over 4mph 😆

Premier Icon tod456
    Free Member

thanks for the ipod play list .. 🙄

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

furthest i have ever walked is circa 50km, watch your footwear and socks, and i always found it easier in trainers, lighter and better ventilated but it does depend on how wet it is. Wet feet are not good!!!!

Oh and jeans probably aren’t the best choice in wet weather as they get heavy and don’t offer any thermal performance.

Other than that carry as little as you can, do you pass shops so you can buy food on route?

Premier Icon tod456
    Free Member

mo, it’s a supported event, so we get feed every 25km, so food’s not an issue!
    Doing my 2nd big pratice 50km walk tommorrow, not looking foward to it in the rain 🙁

Premier Icon nealglover

I’ve done the LWW a few times, about 70KM all off road accross the North York Moors (to be done in under 24 hours) my advice would be the lightest footwear you can get that will keep your feet dry.
    Drink loads of water and carry as little as possible.

Good luck !

Premier Icon Dolcered
    Free Member

Firstly good luck, I did a similar thing in 2008, 54miles in 24hours The Caledonian Challenge. Team Blisterin’ Hot Babes. (see what we did there)

Hope the training is going well. I think the longest one we did was 30miles (where we got hopelessly lost but thats another story).

Things that helped us:
    amazing support team with a VW camper van:).

well used boots. dunno what terrain you are on, we were on WHW so boots were only thing i considered.

if its the same sort of set up with several checkpoints plan out what hot meals you will be having at your stops. Bacon and egg butties and hot tea at 3am made my morning! have plenty of nice treats for yourself for along the way, you will deserve them.

fresh baselayer/tshirt and socks when you stop. (more if weather is rotten) Separate change clothes into individual bags, so no hunting about for them when you are tired.

sort any feet issues when they happen

walking poles made life a bit easier, i used a pair of cycling gloves with mine

We treated it as a normal hill walk day out, so will all the usual kit we carried ibuprofen and paracetomol (just in case) and in my case knee supports.

if there are massage pit stops on the way, take advantage of them. They do help.

follow the bum shaped rock rule, if theres a rock big enough for your bum you are permitted to sit on it.

stick with your team.

i cant think of anything else off hand, questions welcome. have a good time, and enjoy, its hard but doable. 🙂

Premier Icon deets

I did an event a few years ago round the South Pennines called the Mega Hike, which was 50 miles. Our team managed 21 hours and 20 minutes – I couldn’t walk for days afterwards!

We built up the training walks so that 30 miles felt almost normal. A change of socks half way round gives your feet a bit of freshness, but our team of three all got blistered feet at about mile 47 – very strangely synchronised!

What I wasn’t expecting was the mental challenge of it. We were all feeling a bit trippy by the end, the mind starts playing trick with you. You’ll get a good sense of satisfaction, but I can’t say I’ve ever enjoyed hiking quite the same since.

Premier Icon coffeeking
    Free Member

Never walked that far, done a few 27 miles days with a 3 stone rucksack, they were fairly tiring but I reckon without the rucksack I’d have been ok for twice that no problem. We were walking at ~5mph average. Drink a bit, eat a bit, take blister stuff!

Premier Icon tod456
    Free Member

thanks guy & girls for all the advice!
    a mate i ride with did the Caledonian Challenge in 2006 and it looked amasing, can’t imagine the views between london and brighton will be anything like as inspiring!
    As you say it’s more mental than pysical but hope fully as a team we will get through it.

Premier Icon flap_jack
    Free Member

I agree with the lightweight shoes brigade. Walking boots are a disaster IMO. I did 43 miles in 11 hours in approach shoes some years ago, and to be honest have never put a pair of walking boots on again.

Premier Icon somouk
    Free Member

I’m training for the death march at the moment which is also 100km.

My advice is get some boots that are properly fitted. Learn how to tape your feet and practice by walking mile after mile after mile.

On the day make sure you have loads of water and electrolytes to keep you going on top of your food.

edit: To those advising approach shoes, they are okay but they don’t support your foot enough so any issues you have will affect your ankles and knees a lot more. Especially considering you will be walking a lot on the build up walks. I over pronate when walking which affects my knees so had some altbergs custom made and I’ve never looked back!

Premier Icon buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I hiked the West Mendip Hills Way a couple of time ~30 miles in ~9 hours-ish. I was tired afterwards.

Good luck!

Premier Icon spandex_bob

Any big days in the hills I do in fell shoes these days, unless its really snowy. It’s the weight of boots thats the killer; every step you’re lifting an extra couple of kg 12″ or so, the effort all adds up. The ‘boots-support-your-ankles’ argument has some merit, but doing enough stuff in innov8s seems to give strong, flexible ankles/feet and resistance to twists.

That said, if you’re a month away, I wouldn’t change a single thing; same boots you’ve used so far, same drinks, same food.

Best of luck!

Premier Icon brant

I did the LWW when I was 11. 17h 10min for 44miles. Never really walked much since!

Premier Icon higthepig
    Free Member

I did the Gurkha Challenge a couple of years ago, 100km in 24 hours along the South Downs Way. You should treat it as an endurance event and try your best to keep a steady sensible pace, bit like tortoise vs. the hare.
    Our group was late arriving, we started 3 hours after the main body, we ended up jogging to make up time, seeing groups ahead just served as a target to aim for, not the best way to do it, although we did finish in just over 16 hours.
    Feeding is vital throughout. Our event was supported with food stations like yours, although a plate of cold pasta at 75km was really hard to digest when your body was crying out for something warm/hot. If you have support, as we did, we arranged fish and chips at one point, not ideal food but psychologically ace. Our support was superb, he leap frogged us throughout, providing a place to drop kit/change if necessary, running errands (fish&chips etc). If you have support, make sure you carry enough kit/food that if a checkpoint is missed, you are not left with nothing. We ate loads of bananas and sugar rich stuff like jelly babies.
    Keep your liquid intake up, electrolytes etc are good, so is just plain water and tea from the feed stations. Work out your intake on the number of times you need to pee, not peeing often, not drinking enough!
    Footware. I used approach shoes, went over on my ankle about 40km in and spent the rest of the walk limping and popping Brufen. This was quite common amongst those taking part, especially in the later stages when people were getting tired. If the terrain is going to be fairly smooth, use approach shoes, if not consider using lightweight walking boots, it is what you are comfortable with but taking into account what you are going to walk on, posters here can not make that decision for you. Plan for plenty of sock changes along with using foot powder/washing if you can. Again this is a big psychological boost.
    Try not to spend too much time at feed stations, you quickly get cold and your legs stiffen up, restarting after can be painful! Take a small first aid kit with you, main things we used were plasters, (especially Compeed ones for those getting blisters), Mycota talc for feet, Sun Block, Vaseline and loads of Brufen!
    A head torch is useful if you need a night time kit faff between feed stations, we didn’t walk with them, but it was useful when stopped trying to find stuff at the bottom of a daysack.
    Sounds like you are doing the right things before the event, we did no training for ours, although we were all fit, it did take its toll, especially in the days after when feet/legs felt wrecked.
    Good Luck and try to enjoy it if you can, we did mostly!

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

When I was in Scouts we used to do a walk called the 6 Shropshire Summits. It was good fun, about 40 miles and we used to do it in about 12 hours. One of the leaders used to set up at a point about 1/4 way in and do bacon butties which was ace.
    I think the fastest time I did was about 10 hours but that involved running down hills.
    The last time I was in Venture Scouts and had been in the lash the night before and spent the journey out there hurling out of the side of a mates Landy, not the best preparation in hindsight.
    Just get on with it, it’ll be fine, just don’t stop for longer than 5 minutes at any time.

Premier Icon meanzbeanzx
    Free Member

My college course manager did a 24hr run on a tred mill for Asthma U.K , started off at about 13k/mh (roughly) and then dropped down to about 8k/mh , managed to run about 73 ish miles, so I’m guessing you’ll be walking either fast or not having many breaks, good luck for it tho! 😀

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Free Member

1. Dismiss any notions that 100k is a long way. Break into manageable mental sections and dont let mind wander
    2. Plan your nutrition – in 100 mile running races I learned the hard way of relying too much on food stations. Oddly, I would have a real energy low immediately afterwards – too much of a rush of energy?? Much better to have a regular munching routine. In ultra runs, I uses a walk/run strategy and use each break as a chance to fuel. In this case, you could simply plan regular nibble breaks every 20/30 mins?
    3. Sudocreme/Vaseline/Lycra – bliss rather than chaffing
    4. Clean kit in bags half way round make a great boost to morale
    5. Don’t overdo, modern energy fuel – have some savoury stuff and normal food as well/instead. Best of Kendal Ment Cake
    6. Enjoy it and good luck!

Premier Icon ampthill

As a teenage scout,lateteens, I did a fair few 80km walks. The first nearly killed me. We went off fast and then blew up. Weren’t fit enough. It took us over 22 hours.

I think our fastest time was about 12 and a half hours, but we didn’t win as didn’t finish as a team. the following year we wone. That team is still my best mates.

Advice. Sounds like you will be fine. But pace yourselves. I think whatever your plan its worth having a rough schedule. Say at least a rough time for when you’ll hit each check point.

Then look at the schedule think about possible low points. The early hours of the morning are a big deal.

I dropped out of my only attempt to walk 100 miles in the early hours and regret it.

Premier Icon tod456
    Free Member

thanks again for all of the advice, i’m fecked after today so will read properly tommorrow, but no blisters or mayor issues so hopefully twice the distance is doable!

Premier Icon muddodger
    Free Member

we completed the LWW last year in 16hrs 10 mins, we barely stopped and were knackered at the end.
    walk in what your comfortable in now, don’t change.
    prepare for a cold wind, we didn’t and it nearly stopped us, it was howling over Blakey Bank.
    Also, don’t plan to be at work the following day, I managed to walk about 10 mins to our local for dinner, no way could I have done a days work.
    Good look and enjoy it, we did!

Premier Icon tod456
    Free Member

Hi Guy’s

I’ve read about foot powder but all google brings up is anti fungi stuff! Any recomendation, or is just fancy talc?

somouk, any recomendation on tape? also what event are you doing?

Next question .. hydration what should i avergae per hour? My intake during biking is about 1 ltr / hr but the work rates going to be alot less, was thinging about 1/2 of that?

Premier Icon tod456
    Free Member

in case anyone search’s this in the future …
    the 100km took our team 27hrs, it’s doable by most people, just needs a few good long practice walks, then good planning and preparation.

Premier Icon richmtb

Compeed blister plasters. Work out where you are likely to get blisters and put the blisters plaster there BEFORE your start walking.

Carry some extra in case you need to replace them,

and Good Luck!

Premier Icon cheshirecat

Did a 50 mile walk in Sheffield many years ago with not very much preparation (though was pretty fit). By chance we seemed to choose the right combination of shoes/clothes. Well worn-in trainers, tracksters and a light breathable waterproof. Bit of cash to raid the newsagents for chocolate when they opened. No rucsac or walking boots – was all on pavement.

Premier Icon IanW
    Free Member

Did the Caledonian Challenge mention earlier, same distance probably a bit hillier. It took me all of the 24 hours but some weirdos did it in 11 hours running.

I used those Scandinavian walking sticks, great for the down hill bits which were actually more painful than uphill.
    Zinc tape on my feet, but don’t forget to soak it before you take it off!!
    Try swapping between walking boots and trainers, if the terrain is ok trainers are the way to go.
    I smoked at the time and did about 40 during the event, thats probably not good.
    Do some core exercises planks good, I have since been told my lack of core strength caused the knee pain that nearly stopped me.
    Take ibrufen.
    Go light whenever possible.

Good luck, ps did actually enjoy it but wouldn’t do it again for all the bikes in china.

Premier Icon theteaboy
    Free Member

we get feed every 25km, so food’s not an issue!

Make sure you carry some though – if you bonk or have a fall at 3am halfway between food stops you could be in real trouble.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘100 km walk in 24hr …… any advice?’ is closed to new replies.