• This topic has 889 replies, 89 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by loum.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 890 total)
  • 100 days of exercise until Xmas
  • sirromj

Monday & Tuesday on the trials bike again in the back garden: Doing the same thing over and over again until I got it: (Chris Akkgrig I ain’t)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CXedVedghOO/
    Then broke out the 3kg dumbells wooooo. Only 3kg as my right shoulder needs some rest but also to keep moving.
    Today: back to running, just another half hour in my lunch break.

Need to get back on the yoga in the evenings again.

scotroutes

Monday : Yoga with Adrienne

Tuesday : Zwift

Wednesday : 11km run from Carrbridge, over Sluggan and back. It’s a lovely route and I really should do it more often.

Caught the earliest sunset of the year. After tonight it starts setting later again.

nickc

that sunset’s a cracking photo @scotroutes

scotroutes

Another very mild day. The tracks are all remarkably dry too.

42km loop on the VN Amazon.  Aviemore – Glenmore – Ryvoan – Loch Garten – Aviemore

sirromj

A nearly-one-hour walk in the morning before shopping, along the beach and cliff tops where I moved away from.

IMG-20211216-095225

This kind of sums up my mood:
    IMG-20211216-103341

Then an hour ride on a MTB not my own, and slightly too small for me, to the post office and back, along muddy tracks. Felt unfit for pedalling activities having mostly ridden trials bike of late, wasn’t even ten miles!

timf

Only about a week to go

Doing this has got me to the 1000 miles run in 2021 milestone :-), and kept me sane thought some difficult things these last few months. Will celebrate the running achievement by going out of my bike for today’s 30 minutes.

Since missing a couple of days towards the beginning have not missed a day, but a few times have done my normal run in 28 minutes and not bothered to run un and down the road to make the exercise up to 30 minutes.

nickjb
    Free Member

Only about a week to go

Was thinking about this while on the bike earlier. What are people doing after? I’m feeling fitter and have lost weight so want to keep that aspect up. I expect we’ll do something active Christmas day and boxing Day anyway. After I’ll keep up doing regular exercise but probably feel ok about missing the odd day. Kind of want to keep going and see how far I can go though.

scotroutes

Last year, someone started another, post-festive daily challenge. I kept up with it for a couple of weeks but then started to skip a few.

Looking at my stats for this year, I’ll likely end up with about 300 days with a recorded activity and about 520 hours in total over the year. I’m not sure I can add much more to the former, though might increase the latter.

ahsat

After I’ll keep up doing regular exercise but probably feel ok about missing the odd day.

I’m thinking similar. I won’t get quite so set on doing Pilates at 10 pm! But I do feel stronger for it!

Rest of this week for me has been riding on Wednesday back from my booster; walk on Thursday to clear the post booster fug; and a ride this afternoon on some new very muddy trails where you do start questioning the boundaries between mtb and gravel!! Good fun though.

Not sure about the weekend. Feeling tired and have just pulled out of a group ride because of covid risk.

scotroutes

Round the lochs today. Very misty in the strath due to a temperature inversion, so 0c at village level but 10c at the summit! The mist broke up just outside Aviemiore so we had a chilly but stunning couple of hours riding before heading to the Old Bridge for some essential post-ride rehydration.

scotroutes

Saturday – walk up to the Green Lochan with Mrs S.

Today (Sunday) – chilly fatbike tour down to Kincraig for coffee and cake.

5 days to go!!!!

ahsat

Conditions are wonderful at the moment. Your photos are ace Scotroutes.

Sat – I needed a rest day, I was shattered from the end of the working year, so it was just Pilates.

Sunday – 11 mile hike round Ingleborough in amazing conditions and above the cloud inversion

Photo dump here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXrNEQVsJe3/?utm_medium=copy_link

jimmy

Missed two glorious days Fri and Sat here, today was cold, grey and wet BUT I was getting out on my bike and was going to enjoy it. First 10 mins we found a tree across the trail and tried to shift it, in doing so pulled a muscle in my back and had to limp home. I’m done til after Christmas.

scotroutes

Ya silly bugger! Hope it’s not too bad and you can sleep comfortably.

fossy

After a good year, and getting back to two days commuting by MTB into the office (when in) November turned into a disaster when I broke my toe. Took about 4 weeks to get better, managed 3 rides, then off again with a cold, followed by a sore knee. Well I’m off work now, so it’s out on the MTB tomorrow.

AndrewL

Beautiful photos @Scotroutes & @Ahsat hope the back settles quickly @jimmy

Ride out from Hope today. Horrible mist in Sheffield but Hope Valley had a fair amount of clear spells

Lose Hill

top of Jaggers

jeffl

So, back to this thread after 2 months off with a broken rib. We recently got a dog so for the last month I’ve been walking him for a total of about 2 hours a day.

However I decided to jump in at the deep(ISH) end and enter a Santa fun run today.

Only a 5k, dressed as Santa for a local charity. But figured I’d run there and back for a total of 15k.

Was a really good atmosphere and I don’t feel too knackered either. So probably a dog walk tomorrow and pick back up on the running over Christmas as I have 2 weeks off work 😀😀😀

sirromj

17th: ???? I did something, because I’m certain I’ve not missed another day. Gonna guess 30 minutes yoga.
    18th: Another half hour run, 4 miles, and actually did some 10 minutes of stretch/yoga before shower after.
    19th: 30 minutes Yoga. The type that supposed to be to be relaxing but makes me swear because I’m not flexible. Just relax and melt into the pose for a few more moments. U%£$&*( you!

scotroutes

Almost there folks. Keep the lovely photos coming.

Monday morning was a dip in Loch Morlich. Air temp -4c, water temp 0.4c.

Monday evening was some yoga stretches, trying to improve my mobility.

4 DAYS TO GO!!

ahsat

I actually lost the plot yesterday…just getting into bed at 11 pm and after 95 days I forgot!! I very nearly bailed, but because I’m flipping stubborn and @p20 might the kindest person in the world, we quickly stuck on shoes and head torches and headed up the hill behind the house!

Admittedly the slightly poor sleep that followed 11.30 pm walking, didn’t help todays ride. Again where gravel meets xc mtb. And if you’d said to me let’s go and do a 27 mile mtb ride in late December I would have flatly said no. But for some reason because it’s on gravel bikes, it’s fine!!!! Even if the bikes weight several kilos extra with all the mud. Tired now!

sirromj

Half hour run that was more a jog then descended to a walk. Tight calves. Think I might have to do a gentle bike ride tomorrow. A few weeks or a month ago I felt really good for the exercise, then enthusiasm went unchecked and over did it. Since then been struggling, especially with motivation. Another repeat of the same old mistake.

scotroutes

It’s the first night of winter so I’m out for the night

scotroutes

And back home this morning.

Minus 3C in the bothy overnight and minus 5C on the way home this morning. Still at least being in doors meant my kit wasn’t covered in frost.

TWO days to go!

sirromj

First frost I’d seen this morning down here in the South East. Didn’t last for long though.
    I’d planned to go out on the road bike for a gentle ride but it was too cold for me to get enthusiastic for that, just went with the urge to get out on the trials bike again, actually cycled on it, to the skatepark in the next village, 5 miles total in an hour, 22t front, 16t rear. Along with some death-defying* hopping of course.

* death-defying = I nearly squashed a worm.

ahsat

Beautiful Scotroutes. As ever!

My mate was coming over for a coffee ride, but was running late, so the post coffee bit ended up a bit like this. I’m not that biggest fan of night riding. Haha.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Nice picture sirr!Well done all.
    PS I hope Mrs scotroutes is ok.Neil.

sirromj

Cheers mcmdo.

Back in the garden today, for bike trials; a string of fails from increased difficulty of approach… combined with lack of focus and physical strains.

But on the positive side…

loum
    Free Member

We’ll done you lot. Some inspirational stuff. Best wishes for Mrs scotroutes.

I gave it a go, but had a couple of 3 day breaks due to illness, still following the thread, still in in spirit though.

Enjoy the last day and have s great Christmas.

jimmy

Yes, well done folks. Feels like a long time since this started, and personally I’ve stalled along the way this year through illness and injury but always good to live vicariously through Scotroutes’ adventures.

Happy Christmas and good health to all!

mogrim

in doing so pulled a muscle in my back and had to limp home

Have done something similar to @jimmy which has messed up my running plans, not to mention makes sleeping difficult 🤬

But still plugging away at the challenge, albeit bad weather plus back problems mean it’s all been turbo in the garage this week. Assuming I manage to do something today I’ll have sort of missed 3 days in total, although all those days have included a couple of hours of dog walking so I don’t feel too guilty.

Happy Christmas everyone!

AndrewL

Well done all and Happy Christmas

Finished off with a tootle on the road before heading off to relatives later today

holmesfield loop

jimmy

@mogrim – bad luck! Hope you recover well. Mine hasn’t as been as bad as feared but I can see it taking a long time to actually be right again. The big surprise is I’ve been sleeping like a log! Think my body and mind appreciates the rest of not even worrying about getting out.

sirromj

A 10k run for the last day. Was worried around the two mile mark I’d not make it, but pushed on. Remembered to use my thighs and not just lower legs! Helped up the steeper hill, and heading home again felt better for it. Well done everyone, have a great Christmas.

jimmy

I went out for a run! Back was fine, I also have ankle pain which I’m not sure if it’s referred or not. But I have survived.

scotroutes

I had high hopes of finishing this on a bit of an epic. However, I was feeling somewhat beaten by a rather desultory late-evening Zwift session last night and then today started with some frozen rain so I scaled back my ambitions a little. INstead, I set off for a 11km run round the Loch Morlich/Glenmore area. The pace was a bit slow – It was about 80% running, 15% walking round frozen patches and 5% modern dance as I slipped and slid.

That’s been an interesting and mostly enjoyable campaign. I can’t say I feel any fitter as a result – Garmin suggests the contrary – but it’s been fabulous for managing my mental health. I’ve been encouraged and inspired by everyone’s photos and stories. I don’t fancy immediately getting into another similar challenge though – that Festive 500 can sook on my fat one!

Todays picnic lunch was up at Blackpark so that Mrs S could get out and see the hills.

Wishing everyone all the best for 2022 and maybe we’ll kick off again next September?

robertajobb

I could have done with seeing this thread 99 days ago 😖.

Just time for  cheeky little local spin out on the Five in the dark.

Happy Christmas folks.

Houns

Well done all

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Congratulations all finishers, DNF’d again here due to house renovation, haven’t turned a wheel since October but have been following progress. Inspiring. Gonna have a pop at January Feb March though

ahsat

Finished here with a claggy 20 mile mtb ride in the Dales. Only saw 2 other people for the entire loop!

Yep my 100 might have included some 30 min walks; but they were all beyond what I’d have done normally. And most importantly, given how my year looked at the start with long covid, I’m absolutely delighted to have managed 100 continuous days. After 3 20+ mile off road rides this week, and a hike up Ingleborough I’m feeling a little jaded. But definitely fitter.

Thank you all so much for the inspiration. Very well done to all the finishers and Merry Christmas all. All the best to Mrs Scotroutes too.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sorry I’ve not been too involved this year, I’ve been trucking away but haven’t been online much as it’s been a busy few months.

I thought I’d pitch in with some photos for the last day of the challenge. Well done to everyone who’s managed it – I missed a couple of days but have generally done well and feel really fit and light for it.

A handful of trips further afield when I had the chance-

I did a race-pace MTB lap of Edinburgh which is about 70 miles to see how I was doing for the now cancelled Strathpuffer.

I’ve been riding a lot at the trails in Fife I rode ten to fifteen years ago at uni and had a nice time, but unfortunately the dirt jumps I used to learn on have been demolished by the storm.

I’m away at the moment and dared to try a peloton bike at the hotel – as someone who doesn’t like turbo training or indoor exercise it was actually pretty good fun, and a real workout.

Unfortunately it all ends with a few days on the treadmill at my in-law’s house next to a state highway and an area with no footpaths or sidewalks, and it’s -10 so outside exercise isn’t much of a thing.

Although we did manage a walk yesterday- people are fishing in those huts on the ice.

Also got into weekly yoga this time and after years of resisting it’s been a revelation – all my knee pain has gone. I did the Abi Carver ones from Pinkbike which don’t have any wishy washy spiritual nonsense, just what stretches and moves to pull to make a particular thing feel better.

I’ll not be doing much over Christmas – I’ve got a fat bike ride planned in -23C weather as a stunt for a local paper but as the Puffer is off I’m going to rest up and relax for a week.

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 890 total)

The topic ‘100 days of exercise until Xmas’ is closed to new replies.