Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 402 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

30 mins rowing (indoor) actually not as bad as I expected. Out on the motorcycle for 4hrs today but I’m no sure that would exactly be in the spirit of things.

sandboy

After school today, the boy didn’t fancy a bike ride but opted for 30 minutes bouncing on the trampoline. I’m guessing that counts? He also asked if PE lessons count?

munrobiker
    Free Member

If he wants PE to count, it counts. I’d definitely count it.

It’s my wife’s birthday so I only snuck in a half hour run today. First run in about 2 years and to say I enjoyed it would be a big lie. Carcassonne is a nice place, though.

null

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munrobiker
    Free Member

Also, isn’t trampolining exhausting?

sandboy

It certainly is!! I was happier blasting out a quick 20 miles on the road bike. Lovely sunshine and a good hard headwind on the way home.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m in. New to strava but think I have cracked it!

My runs will be very short and slow for a while. I’m just starting up again after a year off with a torn medial meniscus, and the mrs has decided that she wants to run too but she hasn’t run in the last 40 years!

Good motivation as I’ve had a lazy 12 months after 10 years of triathlons.

Granddaughters 7th birthday today. Party on saturday which involves over 300 miles of driving for us. Getting something done that day was looking difficult, but it’s a trampoline party so I think that counts 😜

beaker

I’m in, I’ve just joined the Strava group. I’ve ridden for the past two days and will have the odd run. Sadly I’m a terrible runner and don’t enjoy it….

rubymurry
    Free Member

I joined Strava but I always forget to take my phone or when I do switch it on!! But I did do a club mtb ride last night, great ride some good hills and weather was fan…bloody..tastic 😎 first run tonight in about 2 years

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Hour and a half on the bike today.Think I,m going to need a food upgrade to keep this up.Any advice on diet for a man who rarely exercises daily?

DrP

Well three days of commuting to and from Chichester (22 miles each way) was a good into to this challenge!

I think my aim is going to be adding more body weight exercises (i’m Imagining PLENTY of 30-40 minute sessions at home with kettlebells and the chin up bar..I’ll have shoulders of steel!) and more running…

I think the challenge will be the days I work and have the kids, hence needing some good home workouts!

Keep it up everyone!

DrP

munrobiker
    Free Member

Monkeycmonkeydo- I can’t give specific advice but I’ve eaten loads every time I’ve done this with no weight gain.

I went for another run yesterday and am in a bit of pain- my own fault for running as hard as I used to years ago two days in a row straight off the bat. I’m looking forward to having my bike back but I’m off paddle boarding today for a break and that’s loads of fun.

For home work outs, in the past when time has been really tight or I’ve been working away and in a hotel I’ve done half an hour of circuits. 10 each of squats, press ups, lifting something (when I was away I used my holdall) and sit ups. These were painful but didn’t require any special gear and I think they made the biggest difference to my fitness.

muggomagic

I stumbled across this on Tuesday and luckily I’d done a workout at home Monday, so I’m now going to aim to keep this going. I did a big ride Tuesday evening so was quite tired after work last night, but managed to do 30 mins of body weight exercises. Certainly slept well last night.

jimmy

Felt knackered last night from extended weekend riding, but opened up the Nike UTC app. That’s a good app – recommended by someone here. Did a core session for 30 mins, felt better for it and slept like a log.

oldtennisshoes

Running yesterday and another Body Pump class this evening. Ordered new running shoes as I’m struggling with blisters 🙁

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just a quick walk last night as I’d done a few hours clearing the back door of weeds and wotnot. Half an hour on the wattbike at the gym today. But the biggie will be tomorrow, booked in to an inflatable assault course place for daughter#1 birthday, I expect to be pumped after it.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I missed a day yesterday, life and work got in the way. But I’m making up for it today with two sessions. A run at lunchtime to catch up for yesterday and a ride after work.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Fail.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My paddle board plans were foiled by Frenchness- the most French of things, the hire place’s website said they were shut and to email for out of season hires, they replied saying they’d be open til 6, we got there and their sign said they were open Thursday to Sunday til 6, then when we went to hire them at 4 he said no because he shut in an hour 🤦‍♂️

My wife, who hasn’t holidayed in France before except in the city, was pretty hacked off about it but you can’t go into a holiday in rural France expecting everything to be open at the time it says it’s open.

Anyway, I went for a swim in the sea instead.

twistedpencil

Commutes all week so far. Looking forward to the weekend when trampolining might make an entrance into my exercise routine 🙂 i know I’m  cheating with the commutes but i do race other middle aged folk into work!

beaker

I did two rides, then a brisk walk and today I was back on the road bike. I’m trying not to be lulled into a false sense of security with the weather…. I told a friend what I was up to and his first response was “what are you going to do on a wet November day?” I hadn’t thought of that far ahead.

onehundredthidiot

Wednesday was a roller session hard/easy to my playlist (must remember to remove pink Floyd and led Zeppelin from that list), yesterday was a 6km treadmill in the morning then an hour of Pilates.
    Half day today so I’ll be cracking out the gravel bike.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

100 minutes gardening and cycling.Do I get a bonus?

muggomagic

Today was tough as the kids were at my mums after school and Mrs Muggo wanted to go to the pub garden for a drink. Had to be strong and do 30 mins body weights before going out. It was the first time that it felt like a chore.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Muggomagic- yeah, I get a hard time from the mrs if she wants to go to the pub early doors and I say I’m gonna do a workout!

naffa
    Free Member

5 days in and already I feel so much better physically and mentally too.
    Only rides so far, tomorrow may be a brisk walk/jog (think koush to 5k), but after 12 months of relative inactivity this is what I need.
    If you want to follow my progress on Strava you’ll find me at no5 on the leaderboard.

rubymurry
    Free Member

I’m still on it!!! legs are feeling sore from running the other day, biking with scouts last night and tomorrow’s kayaking on Ullswater then Sunday a 20 mile gravel ride, keep it up everyone 👍

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I missed a day on Wednesday but made it up with a double yesterday. Today I wasn’t in the mood but dragged myself out for a ride to the pub for a beer and back. Does that count?

onehundredthidiot

Yesterday’s ride was the first time out for the gravel bike since spring. This afternoon I’ll be sorting the dragging rear brake.
    This morning will be a gentle ride to find some clay for a class expt.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Really enjoying this so far. I have decided that my morning / evening dog walks don’t count (for me), so finding ways to fit in extra exercise has been good.

So far I’ve had a couple of lunchtime runs, a night ride, session of Pilates, a cheeky kayak and a ‘s/s & bob’ supermarket ride. Nothing epic, but all things that I probably wouldn’t have bothered with otherwise.

Just hope I can keep the motivation going with dark nights and winter weather…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Flowerpower- that’s all brilliant stuff. Well done for not taking the easy option and counting your dog walks.

I did something I don’t do often tonight- 10 mile ride but reps of some downhill trails. The climb up is savage, 21% average but with steeper and gentler sections. Some scallies had started a fire on one of the trails so I had to out that out too.

Proof of the effort is the sweat stains on my top tube-

null

null

Houns

Firefighting skills going to make scenicpees?

I spent 6 hours at work shovelling tons of composting grass clippings so no additional exercise for me today

munrobiker
    Free Member

It was a great night for a scenic pee but I was solo so no one could get the snap ☹️. And my experience of weeing on fires is that it makes a stink but is ineffective.

onehundredthidiot

Stupid image forum grrrrr

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Walk yesterday and a home workout today. Simple 1 squat, 1 pressup, 1 sit-up and build up to 10, then back down to 1. Which gives a 100 of each.

Inflataworld on Friday was great fun too, harder going than expected!

sandboy

We’re both still on it, the youngster preferring bouncing to pedalling but I’m beginning to get that good obsession with cycling everyday like i used to. Rides have been between 45 minutes and 2 hours using the road bike mostly but with a couple of evenings around the woods. The boy is now taking about doing 30 minutes of trampolining every day, reckons he’s just going to wear his gore tex jacket on the days it’s raining!!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Well I managed half an hours stretching, light weights and boxing.As an old fella I,m not finding this challenge as easy as I thought.I guess a touch of depression and living in a “difficult”area doesn’t help.I could also do with some ideas for activities.Cycling,walking,weights and stretching are a bit limited.I should try and go for a swim.Its a pity gardening and housework dont count.Is anybody going to include dancing?I suppose it’s a form of exercise but not sport obviously.I,m also trying to eat alot but having the right sort of foods is a problem in this culinary desert.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

As for running,I think half an hour of that at my age could result in a coronary.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Monkeycmonkeydo- dancing sounds pretty good to me. As for variety, it depends what you like and if you’re willing to pay for something like a yoga class. That’s a useful day of non-vigorous exercise if you’re eager for some gentler days.

For something more vigorous, maybe a five a side league? I am absolutely shit at football but found a team that didn’t really care to join one year.

Rock climbing is going to feature in my future, maybe see if one of your council leisure centres has a wall and go bouldering (i.e. without ropes and at low level, so there’s less faff and kit). Or you could see if there’s a group on the website Meet-up that’s doing climbing near you. Or maybe even rambling, I’d not discount how good a hike can feel. The group may help with your depression as well.

I did almost the whole challenge on my bike last year but understand that some people could find that a bit tedious.

flowerpower
    Free Member

@monkeycmonkeydo – I’d second the ‘meetup’ website as a good place to look. Lots of different activities at various levels, and it is much easier to keep motivated if you’re meeting other people. Most groups are non profit making, run by volunteers and are usually cheap / free to join.

Another thing that works for me is a pilates or yoga DVD. I’m fairly rural and struggle to get to regular fitness classes, so once you get the moves sorted, a DVD at home can keep you going. There might be other fitness type DVD possibilities?

How about skipping? Not sure I could keep going for 10 minutes though… never mind half an hour 🤔

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

That reminds me,I have some yoga DVDs in the house.I,ll dig em out and give it a go.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 402 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge – Exercise every day for 100 days til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.