Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,022 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas
  • Premier Icon mogrim

I wonder if we should all just stick to walking!

To be fair I think the last full rest week I had was in August 2019… and even that I’m not sure about. Probably overdue a twinge or two. And we’re in lockdown here until next Monday (at the earliest), so an “ideal” time for it as I can’t train with my mates anyway.

Premier Icon marksnook

Have to say I’m finding it harder now it’s dark when I leave for work and when I get home. Taking the dogs up the woods was my self imposed minimum requirement. Now that it’s too dark I’m having to walk the dogs on the street then run or ride. Maybe I can lower my minimum to walking in general.
    I’m having tired days but overall feel ok.
    Will probably run tonight then ride sloppy local trails tomorrow night. Regret cleaning my bike yesterday now!

Premier Icon monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Why not just ride on the road or gravel paths?

Premier Icon sirromj

Low energy levels, not enough sleep again, not had an early night for a few weeks. Run out of coffee and face masks so couldn’t even go to shop to get some. 3 rides, 1st, snakebite puncture 28 minute ride by the time I got home. Hadn’t bothered to take pump or plugs with me to fix. Ride 2: Headwind. Felt hard work. Poor mood, HR stayed low unenthused. 7.8 miles, 50 minutes. Ride 3: Tailwind. 7.8 miles, 40 minutes. Enjoyed it this time, mood improved.

What classes as a commute? Is riding to a house we’re decorating before moving into classed as a commute? I could see a case for it to be, but I don’t ride there repeatedly, and I’ve hardly commuted this year due to furlough so really quite out of form for it. I’m taking it anyway!

Premier Icon scotroutes

Another half hour with Abi tonight, doing some yoga aimed at lower back pain.

Premier Icon marksnook

I only have an enduro bike so the gravel or toad thing is going to be painful! Local is only a 5 minute pedal to the woods so it makes sense to ride the stuff I enjoy. Can’t think of much worse than riding on the ride in fairness!

Premier Icon kimbers

So last Saturday I failed!!!

Had to get son a new coat then we got locked out of the house! – had to send 4 year old twins through the cat flap to get us in, the had to finish some painting, was 10pm by the time I sat down and I totally forgot

I’m still going tho

Been using Home Workout app off Google play for days I can’t get on the bike (which I totally recommend, really useful)

Premier Icon marksnook

Ran a steady 4 miles last night, night ride tonight. Will have short run tomorrow then something longer on the weekend. Been really enjoying a longer weekend run the last few weeks

Premier Icon mogrim

What classes as a commute? Is riding to a house we’re decorating before moving into classed as a commute? I could see a case for it to be, but I don’t ride there repeatedly, and I’ve hardly commuted this year due to furlough so really quite out of form for it. I’m taking it anyway!

Personally I’d class a ride as a commute if you’re purposefully avoiding getting sweaty, possibly doing it in work clothes, and it’s a routine part of your day rather than some extra exercise.
    If you’re riding to a house to decorate it (and are going to get mucky anyway presumably) why not add in some sprints to make it a bit more fun / exercise like? Do at least 10 minutes warm up, then try and fit in 8x(15 seconds hard / 45 seconds recovery). If you’re doing it on road you’ll need to be a bit more flexible, if there’s a traffic light coming up for example you might need to extend or reduce the intervals.

And my knee’s still hurting, but does seem to be getting better. I’ve been doing 2x30min walks a day, not what I’d normally class as exercise but given the circumstances I’m counting it 🙂

Premier Icon BillOddie

I’m still chugging away with over an hour of walking per day plus 3-4 weight sessions per week.  I guess that’s advantage of having a furry motivators/alarm clock and a garage gym.

Riding isn’t happening at the moment for some reason, struggling to be arsed to be honest.

Fat loss won’t be happening due to the 2.4KG of Reese’s Peanut Butter cups that arrived last week.

Premier Icon sirromj

Personally I’d class a ride as a commute if you’re purposefully avoiding getting sweaty

Works for me. I did the same trip to the house yesterday as well, but took slightly longer routes 10.3 miles instead. Two routes, and completely different riding approaches, but worked out at exactly same mileage and elevation. First ride while in the urban setting stopped at various spots to ride along a low wall or hop up a ledge before heading off road. Second ride, tailwind & time limited so took what is quite rare for me, a more or less direct route home without playing around or deviating off route for off-road riding.

Today I’m yet to exercise. I’m definitely not feeling so motivated for this challenge now. There’s temptation to sack it off, but writing this out is helping…

Premier Icon scotroutes

A wee group of us out last night for a very muddy, wet and cold (frost on the cars) ride before stopping at the Old Bridge Inn for some essential rehydration.

A wee walk today, exploring another potential track. I was out for 90 minutes, which was just about perfect. This is exactly the sort of walk I’d not normally have bothered with, but for this challenge.

Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

Think we’re in the motivation nadir stage. Did a flat tarmac run on Thursday, ran fast (for me) and my knee has been gippy since, 25 road miles in the pissing rain today oddly quite enjoyed it once out. Could be a soggy 10k run tomorrow, if the old knee holds out, meh.

Premier Icon ahsat

It’s been walking, Pilates and garage gym for me this week. I haven’t been on the bike for two weeks due to work and recovering from whatever I had that needed a COVID test 🙁 But I am feeling a lot better and less run down – will get out this weekend if the weather allows, otherwise turbo in front of the rugby this afternoon! Need to do something – though my core is stronger of late (good thing – I’m not getting any back pain!), think my cardio fitness is a bit rubbish atm.

We have just installed a power rack in the garage this week, plus I’m trying out the Fit4Riding programme – so my muscles hurt if nothing else 😛

Premier Icon scotroutes

Think we’re in the motivation nadir stage.

Yep. Day 100 still seems like a long way off. I’m guessing that few of us have done 30 days consecutive exercise before so getting to this point has been a major achievement anyway!

Premier Icon munrobiker
    Free Member

The thing is, this final stretch is really why this challenge was started. It seems dark and cold and horrible, but it’s taught me over the past 4 years of doing it that it’s never bad when you’re out. You always feel better for it.

And if you keep going now, you’ll find it easier to get out in January and February. That means you’ll feel great come spring when the weather changes.

Premier Icon marksnook

Yeah the hardest part is always getting out the door! I do feel tired this week but it’s been a busy week with working so I would feel tired anyway. The idea of carrying this on past 100 days has already entered my head. I take the dogs out daily regardless though so always walk an hour minimum.
    Did an hour and a half up the hill with the dogs this morning and am going for a ride in an hour. Couple of new trails been built by a handful of people. Looks like time to test if it all links up!

Premier Icon sandboy
    Free Member

I haven’t long got back from walking the dogs, just having some breakfast and then out on the road bike until lunchtime. It’s blowing a gale and with a noticeable drop in temperature but after 10 minutes all that will be out of my mind and i know for the rest of the day I will be happier. The one thing I learned from doing this last year is that I’m a much nicer person if I exercise every day. As a result, the family encourage me to get out which makes it that little bit easier. Well done to everyone still going and get well soon to those struggling with health.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Day 67. 2/3rds !!

Had a wee roadtrip to Learnie Red Rocks. My first time there. We stuck to Blue which was fun and pretty dry for much of it’s length. Another 3 hrs in the bag.

Free Member

I,m back!(Ok I,ve never really been away).Just did an hour and a half at my local outdoor gym,with only friendly potheads for company.Towards the end I was just starting to cough.Hopefully the chest infection won’t come back.Thursday managed a 90 minute hike along the Tees,which was much quieter than the previous lockdown.Like ashat might try and get out on my bike tomorrow.

Premier Icon twistedpencil

I can’t wait until next weekend as hopefully the mountain bike will be fixed back up and rolling again, the dropper post is off to tft this week and the bushings gave out on sundays ride but the Germans have put a new set in the post for my local hero bike shop to sort at the end of the week.

Until then I’m slogging on the road on my single speed commuter, today was grim in the rain, but another day where my imaginary competitors for whatever race I possibly enter sit inside keeping warm 🙂

Premier Icon marksnook

Local was very slidy today, crashed full speed into a tree on a steep section. Got a right knee double the size of the left now! Wanted to get a big run in tomorrow. Tempted to see how it feels in the morning

Premier Icon thestabiliser
    Free Member

Nearly chucked it in today, wanted to get a 10k run in but curtain poles, elderly neighbors flat pack furniture, taking the kids to the park and shopping meant it was dark before I could get out. Set off but a wobbly knee from running “fast” on tarmac on Thursday meant cutting it short to 5k but running on soft ground helped, knee feels better for it, at the minute. MTB tomorrow, if I can curtail the sauce it’ll be a first thing kick off…although got given a very cheeky little red for putting up the flat pack……

Premier Icon sirromj

Started indoor exercise last night at 22:10. Over eager on chin ups, 2nd set didn’t get to 7, 3rd set didn’t get to 6. Was doing better a several weeks back, but was unable to remain consistent in regularity (elbows playing up). I am better able however to be more explosive in push ups and bodyweight rows. Think explosiveness definitely a good thing to strength train for with regard to hopping about on the bike.

Today, two more rides to house and back. First was nothing special. Returning home I scoped out future commute option #1: direct. Kept HR around 130. Followed an old blocked off road that will be fun to play around on the future commutes home in daylight due to plenty of scattered rubble mounds which look like jumps or small technical challenges to get up and over. Following on from that took one of my regular off road commutes home and really enjoyed it, was really rough on the rigid MTB at one section due to deep gloopy ruts having set solid.

Premier Icon Pook

Lovely chilly ride this morning.  3 PBs on climbs, and I thought I was slow today! Funny how you improve without really being aware doing this 🙂

Premier Icon jimmy

Still have hip troubles so still walking. Physio has said it’s probably an irritated hip rather than anything serious (is an irritated hip serious??). Walking is fine, even running feels fine, easy cycling should be ok says the physio. Might just get on with some riding this week and rely on ibuprofen to see me through ’til Christmas.

Free Member

Avoid Ibuprofen, if you have Asthma Jimmy.To much of it can be dangerous.

Premier Icon jimmy

Don’t have asthma, and really I’m avoiding Brufen if I can. Cocodamol helps me sleep through the pain, which is by far worst at night.

Premier Icon YoKaiser

Settling into a bit of a rhythm here and enjoying it muchly. Three bikes(indoor), two or three gym visits a week and walking whenever I can. For the walking it’s been a dedicated walk, start the watch and wotnot. Still to incorporate the Pilates, stretching or yoga but this has always been a problem.

Premier Icon ahsat

Well my ride didn’t go to plan due to a bad stomach all morning, but eventually got out for 20 miles on the cx bike. Feeling rather hollow but it was enjoyable, even in the freezing rain.

Premier Icon 10

I’ve been chugging along. Mostly riding on Zwift. I’ve been following one of the workout plans, along with a loose ‘mileage’ aim. I’ve been feeling good, and staying motivated. Mrs. 10 has got used to the idea of me doing something everyday so that makes it easier. I had to curtail yesterday’s turbo ride sure to a puncture. Looks like the trainer tire split inside. Never seen that happen before.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Got out for a couple of hours road biking this afternoon, despite the cold/wet conditions. It actually felt quite rewarding and having this challenge was enough motivation.

It’s obvious that my fitness has taken a hit though. On a loop I’d happily average 26kph without feeling I was pushing hard, I was struggling to make 22 kph. Could be a few factors in there of course; fatigue from being at day 68 (actually day 70 for me), or still failing to make up for being ill in the spring. I’ll try to see out the 100 days then I need to think really hard about how I address it.

Premier Icon mogrim

I had to curtail yesterday’s turbo ride sure to a puncture. Looks like the trainer tire split inside. Never seen that happen before.

I’ve had that a couple of times, using old tyres – I’m guessing a combination of older, more brittle rubber plus the heat build up doesn’t help. I ended up buying a proper turbo tyre which is thicker and harder than a normal road bike tyre.

And my knee is definitely on the mend, and I risked a short 6km run yesterday, and when I woke up this morning with no significant pain went for another, longer, run today.

Premier Icon ads678

Yesterday was a bit rubbish, and really didn’t want to do anything after a busy day, and my first ever tubeless tyre set up failure..

Wife and kids dragged me out for a walk ending at the local pizza place!!

Went for a run  today, was trying for a 10k, haven’t done one since probably Jan/Feb. Was actually finding it quite easy, but had to cut it short as I was in danger of doing a Paula Radcliffe. Managed 9.1k but only just made it home!

Need to remember to take tissues next time…..

Free Member

Hurrah, I,m back on my bike.45 minute loosener down to ye olde Asian corner shop.Chest was fine but my feet got a bit cold.Suprised by how fit I felt really.Will now settle down to a fresh,crisp,virginal FT and a glass of Jack Daniels.

Premier Icon ahsat

This challenge has instilled good habits in me. Instead of getting up and looking out the window and thinking ohh, nice morning and getting breakfast; I instead grabbed my walking trousers and had a wonderful 3 mile hike over the hill in the beautiful fresh autumn air before work feeling very smug. Probably wouldn’t have bothered before.

Premier Icon Merak
    Free Member

I’ve not missed a day. #fingerscrossed

It’s been great for me to be honest. Im as fit as I’ve been for a long time and lighter too. I was just shy of 80kg in September today I’m 72kg’s

I’ve already decided to carry on and do the festive 500 again this year albeit weather permitting (West of Scotland)

I finally succeeded last year after several thwarted ice fests.

Anyway, Bonne Chance to all of us. I’ll check in on this again when the scores are on the doors.

Premier Icon munrobiker
    Free Member

8kg is quite a loss in that time, well done. I’ve gone down from 75 to 70, which I’ve not been since I was a teenager. I’m starting to feel like it’s slowing me down a bit though and I’m bloody hungry today.

I’ve been battling with the gales this week but managed all of this-

Day 64 – A gentle cycle path ride. Spotted Edinburgh’s latest graffiti phenomenon – the bread monster and the tea knight – having a skirmish by the Sculpture Workshop.

Day 65 – 30 miles doing what used to be my long off-road commute to work in glorious sunshine.

Day 66 – Short and sweet 10 mile mixed gravel and cycle path ride admiring the fun new graffiti in one of the railway tunnels.

Day 67 – Out on the MTB in the Pentlands for 20 miles in mixed foul and glorious conditions (apart from the constant gale – my bike almost blew away lifting it over a style). Set out on my hardtail but realised at the top of the street that that pedal insert in my cranks had come loose. Booo.

Day 68 – A rare trip up Arthur’s Seat – you never go up it when you live in Edinburgh but it’s nice now the number of tourists has gone down. Meant we could hang about at the top and play silly billies.

Day 69 – I thought I’d ticked off all the old railway lines that’ve been turned into bike paths in the city but a scan of Google Earth today identified a curve of trees that was very railway-like and a check of the old OS maps showed it was the Leith Line so off I went – 16 miles at a slow pace.

Premier Icon swavis

We headed south for a wee family hill walk up Meall a’Bhuachaille on Saturday, been meaning to do it for ages.

First (tenuous) snowball fight of the season…

Yesterday was a 3hour 80k road ride to the coast. A wee bit chilly so no pic’s from that…

A 30min run tonight I think.

Premier Icon 10

I’ve had that a couple of times, using old tyres – I’m guessing a combination of older, more brittle rubber plus the heat build up doesn’t help.

This one was a newish trainer tire. Only a couple of months old. I’m wondering if there was an issue with it from the start. I’d been happily using old road tires before, and tried the trainer tire for the first time to reduce some of the noise. The trainer tire had a slight misshape to it when I first got it, which I’d put down to it being folded. But I probably should have investigated that a little more initially. Anyway, old road tire is back on. And a new trainer tire is on the way. Missed yesterday unfortunately. Had a stomach problem and just didn’t feel well.

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,022 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.