Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,268 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Missed Thursday again due to work and ‘big shop’ commitments. Need to rethink it, maybe get up earlier and do circuits before work (never going to happen!). Road ride yesterday and hung over run this morning. Probably a hung over MTB tomorrow morning!

sandboy

Did a very wet and windy 30 miles on the road this afternoon , I would never have gone out but this challenge meant I went and now showered and warm with a beer in hand so glad I did.

ahsat

I’m back 🙂

COVID test was negative. I still feel a bit meh and have a bad head but thankfully the cough has largely gone. As soon as I got the text, we went out for a half hour walk. I will take it steady for the next few days, but plan to carry on, and that means I’ve only missed 2 days whilst I waited for the result.

jimmy

Struggling yesterday and today. Lack of motivation and planning. Did a lunchtime brisk stroll yesterday, might go out for a beerienter after dinner as motivation. Otherwise it’s yoga, and a run tmrow hopefully.

scotroutes

Apparently, motorcycling doesn’t count so I did a 90 minute singlespeed beerienteering (actually ciderenteering) ride to Boat of Garten as it was getting dark.

jodafett

Running and hiking for me this weekend. Got my fastest 10k at 46.53 on Saturday which I’m rather chuffed with! Really loving this challenge as I would never have exercised this much normally and it’s made me try loads of different types of exercise.

ahsat

5 mile walk here. Tricky day recovering from a multi day migraine and whatever bug I’ve got but nice to be out and blow the cobwebs away.

Agree with you @jodafett – I’ve done so much more, with more variation. Very good 10k time

scotroutes

Another week complete. In fact, that’s now 2 whole months. Keep up the good work folks.

@ahsat
    when I get a migraine, vigorous exercise is one of the few things that can relieve the pain – until I stop.

I did another couple of hours road cycling at a nice, easy pace. Got a bit wet, stopped for a coffee and a scone.

I also came across a big flock of geese in a field. With one white goose amongst them. Looked a bit of an odd one out!

ahsat

@scotroutes – can totally relate to that. Had to give in this afternoon when I got back from the walk and it rapidly returned and take sumatriptan, which I desperately try and avoid but sometimes is the only answer.

jimmy

Went for a “lovewhereyoulive” run this morning – sun was out, ground was filthy and slidey, just great fun. Although my back is very sore since, I think from trying to keep upright.

Hopefully be ok tmrow, otherwise a stroll might be all.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Couple of hours hiking today(urban).Due to this lurgy I,ve had, my legs didn’t feel like they belonged to my body.At least for the first half hour.I envy the fitness of some of the folks on here.Neil.

sirromj

Some sort of indoor exercise this evening, just winging it, incorporating elements of yoga and bodyweight fitness, isometrics, nothing too intense. Wanted to keep heart rate down after hopping about on bike for previous two days, and arms also needed a good stretch. Forearm stretches felt good as did those which made locking out elbows difficult. Core exercises, and passive hangs. Managed to break a sweat at some point. Arch of foot still an issue is problematic as to what exercises indoor or outdoor I can do.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Sirromj-Did you get to the bottom of your chest infections?How did you eventually shift them.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve not missed a day but a few too many recently have been 10pm beginners yoga sessions. Probably need to up the effort to see a bigger improvement in aerobic fitness, but my flexibility, core strength and posture have improved by mixing things up.

Lucky to be able to get out at lunchtime some days so I see daylight, or working days at home would be grim.

claudie

Been a bit quiet posting recently but still plodding along, not missed a day yet. Cycling mileage is increasing, keeping the distance on hikes and runs down to alleviate an aching knee, still enjoying the yoga and am doing press-ups to try and keep my new found swimming fitness – did 50 yesterday, most ever and nearly as many as my age! Keep going everyone, the end is getting closer …

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Love this thread, thanks. Not been adhering but thinking of you folks doing all this has certainly nudged me into doing more and going out when I might not have otherwise, and strava currently has me at +920 fitness points compared to last year, if I’ve read it right 🙂

scotroutes

Day whatever.

Off loch swimming again this morning. Loch Vaa this time where the water temperature was 7C. Managed 15 minutes of slow breast stroke (keeping the head dry is a good thing).

Changed into running gear for a 10km run home. I couldn’t feel my feet to begin with so god knows what my technique was like. It also took me ages to get properly going and it was the toughest 10km I’ve run in a long time. Maybe running back from a cold swim isn’t such a good idea.

The weather for the remainder of the week looks “interesting”. I should get a ride in tomorrow then might have to resort to indoor fun for a day or two.

ahsat

Hahaha. I’ve just done a Pilates – Yoga fusion video that was so hard I collapsed in a heap laughing. My god that was tough – cycling hamstrings aren’t designed for some of those moves.

oldtennisshoes

keeping the head dry is a good thing

Definitely! Loch swimming in September and I was getting ice cream headaches if I put m head under. I need to get an insulated cap!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Ahsat,how did you manage to recover from the lurgy so quickly?I’ve had this cold/chest infection on and of for three weeks.Its severely curtailed my exercise choices.Without the fallback position of a brisk walk this challenge would have been over for me weeks ago.I wonder if many of you are battling on with illness and aches and pains?

ahsat

I think my lurgy was actually extreme work fatigue (bearing in mind I haven’t seen anyone apart from p20 for weeks and weeks!). Friday afternoon I spent in bed and Saturday I basically watched TV all day (which is v unlike me!). Combined with being banished to the attic waiting for a COVID test result I think I just totally stopped. Have to say I do fortunately feel a lot better today. And though I hate I’ve missed two days of the challenge, as I am so worried about getting long COVID, it probably did me good. Really hope you get better soon. I’m also taking vitamin D tablets – don’t know if that helped.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Glad your feeling better.I had been wondering if worry and stress had set of my asthma a bit.My area has been in variations of hard lockdown since March.Its getting very depressing and I have noticed a number of my mates have low level illnesses.I suppose the time of the year doesn’t help either.Might try a Vitamin D supplement as well as my Multi-vits.Sadly,my local cafe has closed down again,which means I,m eating more rubbish!MUST GET A GRIP.MUST GET A GRIP.

sirromj

Scotroutes you seem to be properly going for it still. I more or less repeated yesterdays indoor light exercise session this evening with a similar duration – 50 minutes, consisting of isometrics like planks normal/side/reverse. Reverse planks on fists are fun (even on soft carpet). Attempted a max bodyweight row effort, disappointed with 14, failed on 15th to get chest to bar. MonkeyC – get as much sleep as possible & stick to low intensity exercise.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks sirr,I will try.I,m also amazed at scotroutes fitness despite having covid.I don’t know how he does it.

ahsat

Be kind to yourself Monkey. This year is crazy odd and the stress and anxiety it is causing so many people shouldn’t be discounted. I am very very fortunate that i had some anxiety counselling last year as mine can spiral out of control and result in real physical symptoms. As a result this year I haven’t been too bad but there have certainly been days where I feel odd and it’s almost certainly stress. Keep walking, it’s really good to help anxiety but doesn’t put your body under too much load.

With vitamin D, it is possible to overdose. For most people, a high quality tablet with 1000 IU taken daily is enough. Maybe challenge yourself to cook something healthy a couple of times a week – BBC food is a good place to start.

Good luck and take care – we aren’t all super human (or retired) like Scotroutes ;-P

lunge

Met with a friend last night for a socially distanced run. So nice being outside with someone else, someone to push you a bit.
    9 miles later and I was dripping with sweat and grinning from ear to ear.
    Perfect Monday night run.

mogrim

Seem to have managed to **** my knee this weekend, not quite sure how but now it hurts to stand up if I’ve been sitting for any length of time. I’m guessing it’s the chronic tendonitis I’ve had for the past 20 years, must have flared up after Sunday’s run. So yesterday and presumably the next few days’ exercise will be limited to walking…

jimmy

My back is truly goosed, I think a muscle in my hip / butt is spasmed and it’s radiating up my back. Walking is fine, so there’s that. Trying to locate the pressure point sitting / lying on a ball seemed to help short term last night but back to agony this morning.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I wonder if we should all just stick to walking!😁

munrobiker
    Free Member

I had quite a nice week walking and bouldering! I feel better for it but need to regain a bit of structure. Heading out for a pedal this afternoon is going to be really grim.

In good/bad news the Strathpuffer is cancelled so I don’t have to spend late November and December doing hill reps, intervals, all that shite that suggests I’m taking riding a child’s toy for fun too seriously.

ahsat

Moment of inspiration for me today…2 hour full school meeting (which includes about 150 staff and is epic!), so I joined on Teams on my phone via my headphones and walked over the hill out the back of my house for the entire thing 🙂 (with a flask of coffee!)

scotroutes

Eek! Definitely not superhuman. It has taken me a long time to get over my illness, which was way back at the beginning of April. I know it’s not a great measure but I was looking at my (Garmin-generated) VO2 Max earlier. Last summer, it was 48 (cycling), 46 (running). In spring that had dropped to 38/38. I’m currently at 43/44. My efforts are slower than I’d like but I just pace things as I feel.

Anyway – another 40km easy MTBing today round a very wet Abernethy forest with my ex-boss. With a BIG change in weather on the way I’ll have to think about the next few days and plan accordingly.

Loch swimming in September and I was getting ice cream headaches if I put m head under. I need to get an insulated cap!

I was recently wearing a neoprene cap and a latex one on top of that. It’s also a good idea to get bigger goggles – the kind that cover more of your face. Pull the latex cap over the top and that helps keep the forehead warm(er). TBH, when it’s about dipping rather than swimming, all the locals just wear a woolly bonnet over the neoprene cap and keep their heads out of the water.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Two hour hike seeing a mate home.Curry and chips were our energy gels of choice.It seems incredibly mild out.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Was meant to be a bike sesh today but yesterdays gym has left my legs trashed. Will pick it up tomorrow hopefully. Went a walk instead.

CountZero

I wonder if we should all just stick to walking!

I’ve never been a runner, I haven’t ridden for some years now, a cycling knee injury has led to osteoarthritis and the risk of further damage from coming off again has caused loss of confidence; however my job, which involves moving vehicles around, also means I can walk up to seven miles a day, more usually four or five, so I think I get enough exercise during an average week.

sirromj

Two reasons I worked up a sweat today, screwing screws into floorboards with a non motorized screwdriver. Honestly how does that make me sweat? 2nd, nearly finished a large bag of M&S habanero chilli tortillas. Earlier this evening, after dinner, scoffed 4 hazelnut & chocolate cookies on way over to house shortly moving into and the a full snickers duo 5 minutes after arriving. Oh this is the exercise thread. Closest I got to exercise today was a ultra slow walk down to the beach with the nearly four year old and the nearly two year old. Some shoulder rides & carrying to speed things up. The big one gave up riding his balance bike on the way home so put the little one on it who refuses to sit on the saddle so essentially just walks with the bike between his legs and holding handlebars. He’d wanted me to carry him at every opportunity until that point but refused to be carry once on the balance bike. So slow 😉 I don’t consider it counted as exercise, it was something, but not really exercise. So 2 days missed now.

jodafett

@sirromj It was an exercise in patience so I’d count it 😂

jimmy

Well this is a real pain in the butt (pun intended). I’ve been in agony overnight, every movement hurts, finding the least painful position takes a lot of moving. And then eventually I fall asleep… and move.

This was all going so well and I’m frustrated to be reduced to walking. Off to the pharmacy this morning to get some knock-out co-codamol, physio booked for Monday.

swavis

scotroutes
    With a BIG change in weather on the way I’ll have to think about the next few days and plan accordingly

I’m hoping that splitboarding will be making up some of my exercise routine very soon 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

After a week of mostly walking to try and let my legs recover I’m back on the bike. Looking back, I found walking a bit more painful in odd ways. I never walk anywhere, I always ride my bike to get to the shops, travel around town, anything.

60/100 – Rode to town and went on a walk along the Water of Leith. I really love my silly town bike.

61/100 – I’d hoped to cross the 4000 mile for the year mark on my MTB but forgot how close I was to it so actually did it on the day before this but plugged on with a decent Pentlands ride in the slop and rain with a friend. It was very slidey!

62/100 – First real gravel ride back and it felt a bit painful and slow but then I reminded myself that it’s winter, the ground is boggy and horrible and even the harder paths are covered in leaf mulch.

63/100 – I didn’t have time for much yesterday as we had my wife’s citizenship ceremony (after 13 years in the UK! A real relief, even if it was a bit anticlimactic – they’re done over Zoom and your family can’t join the call so it was all done with in 3 minutes!). Squeezed in a speedy 12 miles or so and photographed two fast blue vehicles-

64/100 – A short 10 mile railway line trundle to hide from the 40mph winds again.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,268 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.