Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • 100 Climbs – Offroad version
  • Spin
    Free Member

I was going to say that the list shouldn’t include trail centre climbs but then I remembered how good the climb at Golspie is.

Burchy1
    Free Member

A few from the SW (none are as long as the northern ones but there are some quite punchy ones):

The climb from Foxworthy bridge to Hunters Tor via Peck farm, has a bit of everything sticky grass, a boulder field and then when your knackered a trialsesque hoick up over a boulder at 90 degrees.

Lady’s Edge on the Quantocks is a good one, all singletrack with a nice steep ramp up at the end to test the fatigued legs.

If we’re including trail centres the Cwmcarn climb from the start to the top has a good mix of everything.

D0NK

How about the Calf from Sedbergh? Cleanable but tough and long…

by very very few I’d have thought as whitestone said arant haw is more doable, but calders is NFM IMO. Probably worthy of the “100” tho – if you’re allowed little dips in the middle

jam-bo

The climb from Foxworthy bridge to Hunters Tor via Peck farm, has a bit of everything sticky grass, a boulder field and then when your knackered a trialsesque hoick up over a boulder at 90 degrees.

When I rode it a couple of weeks ago, the bottom half had been chewed up by cattle and was nearly un walkable, let alone rideable.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Ragged Stone Hill is the hardest one on the Malvern’s I reckon – Relentless

Some Long Mynd ones are pretty grueling – Like the climb up from the campsite at little Stretton

TomB

The climb from Watendlath on the Borrowdale Bash is one that only legends will clean, shorter than some here but it is a classic route, so I’d throw that one in.

lightman
    Free Member

I usually find/make segments that are off the beaten track and they can be really silly at times, but they’re well worth a go ~ 35% ave grade!
    https://app.strava.com/segments/7912012

whitestone
    Free Member

Some can be pigs! https://app.strava.com/segments/6408323 Fine until the last left hand bend when it rears up and is basically a rubble slope – think Potato Alley in the Peak. I managed all of two bike lengths then got off and walked.

I think the list needs a range of both difficulty and length in the same way that the road versions do. They can’t all be super hard, you need to have some sort of progression from reasonably easy through to “spend a day working out each section” (Jacob’s Ladder for example)

AlexSimon

lightman – Member

I usually find/make segments that are off the beaten track and they can be really silly at times, but they’re well worth a go ~ 35% ave grade!
    https://app.strava.com/segments/7912012
    I hope ‘Yuba Mundo’ on strava didn’t try it on the Cargo bike!

martinhutch

On the ‘technically easy but still quite knackering’ front, I always huff and puff on this one – Whitewater Dash, particularly the last steep corner after a fair bit of climbing.

jimster01

This must be a popular one for the Malverns – Tank Quarry / Clock Tower car park, take the path to the left just after the cottages, follow this path for a mile or so, down the chute then flick right and head back to Ivy Scar Rock then head up the climb.

Certainly testing.

senorj

Martin Hutch +1.
    Dash falls is one of my favourite and least favourite climbs. 😳
    Top pic.

Another vote for Garburn Pass &Walna Scar.

athgray
    Free Member

Agree with Golspie black.
    Like the climb up through Cardrona Forest for the Gypsy Glen descent.

D0NK

Whitewater Dash, particularly the last steep corner after a fair bit of climbing

good shout

AlexSimon

Pics make a massive difference to the thread – keep them coming!

HindlePie
    Free Member

Drum Mountain – from the cross roads just to the North. It’s over 2 miles of relentless ‘up’, some rocky sections to get worked up about in the bottom half, and then the track kicks up in the last third with added water-bars. It’s nearly always windy, but well worth it for the cracking views from the top. The track is then wide enough to race your mates back down on.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘100 Climbs – Offroad version’ is closed to new replies.