Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 10 year parts guarantee
  • aracer
    Free Member

Got a new washing machine, which comes with a 10 year parts guarantee you have to register for. However as expected there is a labour charge for any repair (after the first year which comes as standard), which it states is £110 per repair.

I have to admit I’m quite tempted not to register for it, as I’m thinking that if it breaks in the 2nd year they’d then want me to use the parts warranty and pay for the labour. Whereas under EU law there is an inherent 2 or 3 year warranty on such items and I should be getting any repair done completely free, so effectively I’d get a better deal without registering.

I’ve also done quite a few repairs on our old washing machine and never paid anywhere near £110 for the parts (having owned washing machines for 25 years I don’t think I’ve paid that much in total on parts). So it doesn’t seem incredibly good value anyway.

petrieboy

Your basic consumer rights can’t be taken away from you so I don’t see what you could lose. It’s not impossible that it could fail due to an expensive part either.

tthew

Does it have replaceable bearings in the drum? If not, that’s a couple of hundred quid part that may not last much more than a couple of years if you’re a heavy user and unlucky.

Cougar

Do you have to use their labour service or can you just claim parts?

Gary_C

Whereas under EU law there is an inherent 2 or 3 year warranty on such items

Good luck with that one once we’re out of the EU…

aracer
    Free Member

Does it have replaceable bearings in the drum?

It’s a very similar model to our last one which I replaced the bearings in, so I presume so. Yes Cougar you have to use their service and pay the labour charge to get the free parts. It’s only a £300 machine, though I suppose I’ve nothing much to lose even if I’m very unlikely to ever make use of it. Maybe better value to people who don’t fix their own washing machines.

Oh and I’m expecting to get the 2nd year whilst we’re still in the EU!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘10 year parts guarantee’ is closed to new replies.