Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 228 total)
  • 10 weeks AND 10KG to Loose (1st 8lbs in oldmoney) Anyone fancy a challenge?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Can I play? Missed this thread yesterday but could do with the incentive to lose some of my greatness.

Tiger6791

Update on who's in then

Me
    thisisnotaspoon
    Chucky (aka Vortex Racing)
    tiger_roach
    Swift
    takisawa2
    TheDoctor
    AndrewBF (5kg)
    lrd (5kg)
    toys19
    Jamie
    ianpinder
    stevio
    Dimmadan
    neninja
    Diawl
    FROGLEEK
    Bedds (6kg)
    andy7t2
    Toasty
    thegreatape

Add yourself if I missed you, email thisisnotaspoon@yahoo.co.uk with your current weight and if you've got it, body fat% as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The more the merrier………..

Went to the gym last night, but crashed after about 30 minutes/400 calories burnt. Was aiming to go onto do the usual 2km in 8min 4min rest then 2km in 8min on the rowers but only managed the first 750m!

Dinner last night homade soup (2 bowls of) and a cheeky half baguet of garlic bread 🙂

The remains of sundays lamb in a sandwich with sallad and low calorie dressing afterwards, kinda like a posh kebab 😀

Today:
    bannana and apple for brekie
    lunch – no idea, maybe a baked potato and beans, or possibly pasta/cous cous sallad
    dinner – baked potato and tuna followed by swimming later on.

Bowl of fruit on desk for snacking.

toys19
    Free Member

Well done boys sounds like everyone is on the case. I've been extra good so far, chicken n salad last night, I did cheat with a teaspoon of nutella at about 11.30pm..
    Strawberry, Raspberry and Bananna smoothie for brekky, along with 1 rasher 1 sausage 1 egg.

Now I have to give up sugar in my tea.

Garry_Lager

Email sent – at 100 kg I reckon there is a wee bit of scope for weight loss.

From experience, though, it's all about one thing for me – the ale. If I can keep off the bevvy I lose weight easy. If not then nothing can be done, it really is the single most important factor.

Just ordered the ingredients for a 5 gallon IPA brew this weekend as well 😳

spacemonkey

Not sure if someone's mentioned this already, but you might like to consider this:

Seems capable of helping you lose fat as opposed to just weight/water, etc, and also enables you to change/understand your eating habits so as to keep it off.

I'm giving it a go for a month to see if I can lose a stone (and sustain it). Only difference is I'm carbing up a little before/during a ride. And I'll probably have the odd blow-out once a week or so. But I figure that because I vary my training enough (stamina, intervals, hills, etc) I'll make up the difference and generally lose/burn fat as well as improve definition and fitness.

Toasty

Seemed like a perfect time for this, 6'6" and 15 stone 5lbs yesterday, which is about the highest peak I've hit I think. Rubbish at dieting but very competitive, this should be perfect 🙂 I've been about high 13 stone a few years back so it's a realistic target.

Vowed to bike in at least 4 days a week (5 knackers me for the weekend ride!), 8 mile each way so fairly easy start to the day, then riding every weekend at least once. Went for my first jog of the year last night too, don't want to eat just lettuce too much, trying to eat decent sized meals and exercise lots. Lots of milk/protein!

Porridge for breakfast and no sweets at work (which is my downfall as they have a tuck shop).

In the last year I've broken 2 carbon frames, purely through sitting on them on a huge seatpost and being overweight. My new Mojo frame is in the post so the race is on!

spacemonkey

So, in answer to your original question: yep, I'm in – will send email shortly.

Tiger6791

Not bothering with fad / new ideas.

I'm gonna try this with.

Cut out fat as much as possible especially saturated fat.
    Keep CALS to 1750-2000 a day.
    Try do 7000 CALS of exercise per week (mix of high and moderate intensity)

if it works I'm gonna sell it under a new fad name –

Tiger's Common Sense Diet
    Eat less crap, run more!

I'll make millions 😆

spacemonkey

Incidentally is anyone going full blow no carbs or just cutting down?

See my post above. Cutting right back on non-exercise days, and eating only minimal before a session, e.g. peanut butter sandwich, banana, energy bar.

All others carbs/starches are out: sugar, cerals, breads, cakes, biccies, pasta, rice, potatoes, crisps, chocolate, pizza, beer, white wine …

Hasn't been a problem so far (5 days in) because I don't miss any of them. Subsituted with more of the healthy stuff that I like eating anyway. I'm just curious to see if it works and how genuinely sustainable it is.

EDIT: oh yeah, and fruit's off the menu as well – substitute with vitamins. But the whole low-carb thing only applies in full while you're in the weight loss period, e.g. 4-6 weeks – you then introduce them on a balanced level thereafter. By then, your cravings, especially for the unhealthy carbs, should be either manageable or completely eradicated, hence enabling you to maintain size, shape and healthy diet.

Bedds
    Free Member

hhmm.. this hasn't started well.. I appear to have a cold starting 🙄

ah well, fish and steamed veg for tea last night, muesli this morning and a load of freshly popped pop corn and fruit for snack purposes

🙂

Vortexracing

Wheatabix this morning for Breekie, 25mile commute and sorry for this,

Chicken curry half rice, half chips for my lunch (it's the hot speacial at the local butty shop) 🙁

25 mile commute home and

daughters home made (school) lamb hot pot for tea with loads of veg.

Must resist the cakes afterwards, Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,Must resist the cakes afterwards,

Toasty

25mile commute

Eek, must be hard finding the correct balance with a 50 mile daily commute. Surprised you have the energy for it with curry and chips for lunch 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Try do 7000 CALS of exercise per week

What will you be doing to achieve that?

EDIT: oh yeah, and fruit's off the menu as well – substitute with vitamins. But the whole low-carb thing only applies in full while you're in the weight loss period, e.g. 4-6 weeks – you then introduce them on a balanced level thereafter. By then, your cravings, especially for the unhealthy carbs, should be either manageable or completely eradicated, hence enabling you to maintain size, shape and healthy diet.

No fruit? As Mr Bannatyne says "Im oot".

Tiger6791

Bedds – Member

hhmm.. this hasn't started well.. I appear to have a cold starting

[mr motivator on] A cold you say, this is not a reason this in an excuse, and your and excuse if you use that. MTFU deal with it and shed those pounds ya big pansie!!! [/mr motivator off]

spacemonkey

No fruit? As Mr Bannatyne says "Im oot".

That's what I thought. But it's only for the initial weight loss period then it's back to Fruit Central.

Tiger6791

Jamie – Member

What will you be doing to achieve that?

Running 20-30 mins 2 times a week. 300-500 cals per run = 2 x 400 = 800
    Turbo 45-60 mins 3 times a week. 500-800 cals per session = 3 x 700 = 2100
    Game of squash once a week. (Time allowing) = 600 cals = 600
    Bike 2-3hr ride once a week (alhough injured at the moment so upping turbo time) = 1000 cals

so 800+2100+600+1000 = 4500 = oh bugger! eat less or do more then 😕

retro83
    Free Member

[mr motivator on] A cold you say, this is not a reason this in an excuse, and your and excuse if you use that. MTFU deal with it and shed those pounds ya big pansie!!! [/mr motivator off]

Mr Motivator has gotten to be a lot meaner than I remember. 😥

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never understood the whole no carbs thing. I'd much rather eat 'good' carbs and burn them all off untill I hit the wall.

I'm just aiming to go to the gym every evening or go out riding on my own and just go at it untill I hit the wall. On the asumption I'll have no carbs left in my system afterwards and I'll have had the benifit of doing some excercise.

Used to do 15miles each way every day, I miss those days, I used to munch down a bag of harribo with brekie at work and another one before heading home!

Weekends I'm just going to eat lots of carbs friday and saturday to keep me fueled up for riding and will be aiming for about 40miles each day.

Ti29er
    Free Member

here on the BBCFor the weigh-in, taken from the BBC:

For a man of his age (late 40's) it's considered average that his fat % to be 22-25%.
    Men's bodies contain 50% water, women's 30%.
    Endurance athletes can lose up to 2-4ltrs of water per hour with exercise. If you lose more than 2% of your body weight from sweating (ie – not replaced fully) then performance is impaired.
    This loss of 2% can occur within the first hour of exercise.
    At the elite level, replace water loss to include water with sodium & sugars.
    Look at urine colour – pale straw colour is best, orange is not hydrated enough.
    Weight loss and weigh-ins can provide the person with a good idea of how much they sweat per hour during exercise.
    1kg of weight loss = approx 1ltr of sweat.
    Too much water before or during exercise can result in a stitch (runners more perhaps?).
    Small amounts and often is the best way to hydrate.
    Alcohol = net fluid loss (unless it's very weak beer).
    Glass of wine = loss of 100ml of fluid.
    A shot = 150ml loss.
    Don't hydrate with sugary drinks.
    Tea & coffee contain caffeine and so after 2-4 cups of tea, only then will the diuretic effect kick in. Coffee has 2x the amount of caffeine as tea. Espresso and such like are not good as you take in very little water at the same time.

ps – can we also expunge those twin American evils – gonna & gotten, they are NOT English words?

Tiger6791

gonna & gotten, they are NOT English words?

Well used int' Yorkshire

toys19
    Free Member

I'm into the no carbs thing. I like to thing of it from an evolutionary point of view. We didn't have agriculture until about 10k years ago, prior top that we didn't eat loads of carbs as wheat/grains and spuds grew disparately so collecting lots of them to make bread or pasta was too energetically expensive. That's why a varied diet is best for you – a hand full of beans, an apple, maybe a small handful of grain or one spud etc. There appears to be lots of evidence that a happy pancreas prefers to produce enough insulin to deal with about 40g of carbs a day, most of us eat more like 350g of carbs, whilst the pancreas can do this its gets knackered hence the prevalence of diabetes.

My mate who is diabetic reduced his carbs to carbs from fruit and veg (excluding potatoes completely and no pasta bread etc) and has reduced his insulin dependency to virtually nothing. This essentially provides some evidence that his pancreas is working more normally at this low level of carb intake, although that has yet to be fully determined.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Ban America words from the written word. Next you’ll be using color, which is again, unacceptable!
    Colloquialisms are fine but need to be placed in " inverted commas" when used or else people will think you don't know the difference! Having been brought up in the North Riding, I know this all too well.

Toys19 – how does this equate to most of the world's population surviving for the last 12,000 yrs on rice or the cultivation of millet going back 10,000 years?

Now – back to the OP.

toys19
    Free Member

Toys19 – how does this equate to most of the world's population surviving for the last 12,000 yrs on rice or the cultivation of millet going back 10,000 years?

I don't think your statement has any bearing on whether carbs make you fat does it?

The point is 10k years is not long enough for evolution to have done its thing, hence the so called paleo diets or others. So just because they eat lots of carbs doesn't mean it was good for them, average life expectancy of a caveman was about 30 years, so probably most of them died in a diabetic coma!! (Joke) In reality the vast majority would have died before middle age spread or late onset diabetes came about anyway, so there was no evolutionary driver. Life would have been too tough to have time to get fat, unless you were king.

Obesity, diabetes and heart disease are afflictions of civilization.

Look at it this way, anyone who has had any experience of farming will know how to fatten a goose or a cow. Do you feed them fat?

Vortexracing

just as aside, that curry was bloody brilliant.

but i'm now full of guilt 😳

lrd
    Free Member

Like Chucky I did a 20 mile commute this morning, so figured the Double Decker for elevenses and flap jack / crisps with my sandwich for lunch were okay.

Anybody up for making this more scientific / geeky and reporting the time to do a regular ride each week as well, to see what if any correlation there is between weight and speed? Eg the regular mid week training route or commute?

Or is this thread more about vanity than performance? 😈

Bedds
    Free Member

Well, I'm using the whole, it's not gone below my throat argument so will be riding tonight 🙂

You're right retro.. he's more like gunnery sg Hartman… 🙄

Vortexracing

All I know is that my time to work on Monday was 1hr 2mins (rolling time and 20.5 miles)

Last night I had a hard ride on a heavyish bike with sticky tyres round Farleton Knott.

and this morning to work it was 1hr 9 min 😳

and now I'm truly buggered.

I think my frame of mind and how tired I am probably has more effect on my riding time than my fitness at the moment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you can do 20 miles in an hour every day, how exactly can you be in a position to lose 10kg!

I'm just in it for vanity. Will go to work on some propper structured training once the weights gone.

Toasty

8 mile commute here, rode in with the wife yesterday and had a 10mph average, rode in by myself today and got 15mph. Fairly speedy Tricross bike and country road/bridleway path.

Can't see myself getting to 20mph average! 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

1hr 2mins (rolling time and 20.5 miles)

So that could have taken you two hours with frequent stops 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I think this thread is going to force me to buy one of these to get some fast road miles in while i cannot run due to peroneal tendon issues…..

ChrisS
    Free Member

All others carbs/starches are out: sugar, cerals, breads, cakes, biccies, pasta, rice, potatoes, crisps, chocolate, pizza, beer, white wine …

I think I'd rather die….

Ti29er
    Free Member

cow. Do you feed them fat?

I think you'll find cows are omnivores – last I looked.

If you are a farmer, you'll be familiar with the practise of gavage; force feeding animals. Or leblouh, force feeding the bride-to-be – in some cultures.
    This has now died out in the UK since all our women folk seem to be either fat or obese!

As in most societies, people want what they're not or don't have.
    Fat want to be thin, thin want to be fat, straight hair wants curls, curly wants straighteners for Xmas, and so it goes on. This post in many ways is not dissimilar. The OP wants to lose weigh so he can manage the climbs better. There comes a point at which weight loss actually become detrimental to the end game.

Vortexracing

If you can do 20 miles in an hour every day, how exactly can you be in a position to lose 10kg!

It's only twice a week and it's my belly that needs to go, it does kill me by the way. I look like a 5ft 4" bloodblister for the first hour at work. This morning was only 17.5MPH.

Going home is always slower.

and

I'm trying to lose a stone that way i'll be under 10stone, not 10kg.

Some guy on here a couple of months ago was doing something like 25MPH commuting to work in Scotland. IIRC it was over 30 miles either way as well.

he must be a bloody hero. 😯

toys19
    Free Member

I think you'll find cows are omnivores – last I looked.

I think you'll find you missed my point! You fatten them by feeding them grain – carbs.

(Also cows are herbivores?)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or he's set if computer up in km/h and reading it as miles/h :p

I used to do 15miles each way, a good time was arround 45 min getting in, a few min less on the way home. Didnt half hurt though, and most days it was nearer the hour mark in the mornings.

Still do that 15/30 mile ride as a loop whenever I'm home in order to dissapoint myself into realising quite how slow I am now!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Is the Boadman carbon bike (as above) for £999, now the default setting for mtn bikers when buying a road bike for training purposes?

What's wrong with a mtn bike on the road – put on 2.3 chunky winter tyres and train hard! (I average 13mph on the 26er, 14mph on the 29er)

(I was just checking you were still with me with the omni / herbi BTW. Cows are, as you well know, carnivores.)

toys19
    Free Member

(I was just checking you were still with me with the omni / herbi BTW. Cows are, as you well know, carnivores.)

Indeed. Thanks god for that. I was feeding my cow frogs last night and she wasn't complaining.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ti29er:
    Is the Boadman carbon bike (as above) for £999, now the default setting for mtn bikers when buying a road bike for training purposes?

What's wrong with a mtn bike on the road – put on 2.3 chunky winter tyres and train hard! (I average 13mph on the 26er, 14mph on the 29er)

…for the record i have been road riding on a Dialled Alpine (i really should chance my frame) with coil pikes and 2.35 UST tyres. Avg 13mph on last 26 mile jaunt round Rutland Water. I am over biked as it is on my local trails (Woburn)….so on the road its just ridiculous.

Oh and Boardman is £850 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘10 weeks AND 10KG to Loose (1st 8lbs in oldmoney) Anyone fancy a challenge?’ is closed to new replies.