- 10 ways to be a dick on facebook
Here’s how it works.
We put a post on FB that links to a story over here on the site. FB’s algorithm then chooses which timelines that post appears in. We have 570k followers but posting on our page does not mean that post will appear in 570k timelines – FB makes that choice for us based on over 1000+ variables it tracks on each and everyone one of us with an FB account.
How many timelines a link post appears in is known as ‘organic reach’. If we target particular types Facebook user and pay Facebook to do this then this is ‘paid reach’. In recent months FB has been reducing the organic reach of all Facebook pages in order to ‘encourage’ them to pay to boost their paid reach numbers. However, you can ‘game’ the algorithm if the content is exceptionally popular as no matter what FB does to limit the organic reach it can not stop users from sharing and interacting with popular content. The more interaction a post gets the more it spreads organically.
Generally, when we post a story twice the algorithm will avoid showing it to timelines where it has already appeared, especially if it was clicked on the first time. This means we can keep a good story ‘alive’ and in timelines of people that haven’t yet seen it by reposting the link to it frequently. The more popular a story the more life it has and the more unique timelines it will appear in each time it is posted.
So, in general you won’t see a link post to the same story twice, but with over 1000 variables to play with there is a chance that a small number of people will see it more than once. But again, that’s down to the algorithm making those choices and not us. If you see it multiple times then FB really thinks you should see it based on your interests and behaviour. Ironically, negative reactions to a post (angry emoji or even angry comments) are seen by the algorithm as reenforcement signals and you are more likely to see posts from that source in the future. So, all the ebike haters who keep complaining in the comments of a post that ebike stories are all they see from us have inadvertently become the architects of their own situation by commenting. The lesson is, either ignore posts that you don’t like or hit the ‘see less of this’ link in the top right of a post.
Each time we post that link post it goes mental on FB and reaches a new audience each time. It’s been and continues to be a profitable story for us and we make money each time we post it.
This is how we earn our living from publishing content on social media.
Hope that helps explain things 🙂Posted 5 months agotomhowardSubscriber
So, in general you won’t see a link post to the same story twice, but with over 1000 variables to play with there is a chance that a small number of people will see it more than once.
It doesn’t bother me, but I’ve seen the how to be a dick article dozens of timesPosted 5 months ago
but I’ve seen the how to be a dick article dozens of times
at least. I’ll try blocking but I know that stw makes money off of traffic so I try to not block them but that article is getting insane now
Edit: I can see 12 comments on FB, 5 of which are variants of ‘not again’.Posted 5 months ago
what are the other nine?
I’ve got a 2)
When someone posts info on Facebook that you’re not interested in, reply to the post with just someone’s name, who you think might be interested.
3) Change your profile pic every time there’s a new news story or public event/holiday/celebration to show that you’ve noticed that it’s Armistice Day, or someone you don’t know got shot in a country you’ve never been.Posted 5 months agoPookSubscriber
bikebouy – Member
I’ve gathered the first from the OP’s post, what are the other nine?
2. Forward those shit dancing elvesPosted 5 months ago
3. Put a vague status fishing for concerned enquiries for your welfare
5. Candy crush
6. Say you’re blessed all the time. Only one person is Blessed, and that’s Brian
7. Post pics of your kids every. Single. Day.
8. Boast about exercise.
9. Pictures of your feet by a pool.
Excellent, thanks for the dancing elves .. hilarious.
I am blessed, or blushed, or blooming at any one point during my day.
It is interesting though reading Marks explanation of how FB process flow the feed content. It’s like a whole new world of geek talk designed to keep idiots out and geeks in. But I like learning stuff like that, so I may do a bit of research of my own.Posted 5 months agoNobeerinthefridgeSubscriber
Lol @ Pook!.
Mrs Nobeers work colleague posted up on faceboak at the weekend, disgusted that some little shit at school had spoiled xmas for her 6 year old daughter by revealing Santa as a fraud.
The wailing and frothing at the mouth, and then subsequent demands for revenge, were an absolute joy, I’ll be amazed if she’s not at the headmistress’ door about it this morning.
Hell hath no fury like a yummy mummy scorned…Posted 5 months agojohndohMember
What’s Facebook ?
Facebook is a social networking website and service where users can post comments, share photographs and links to news or other interesting content on the Web, play games, chat live, and even stream live video. Shared content can be made publicly accessible, or it ca…
Ohh, hang on, you were making a funny weren’t you?Posted 5 months ago
What does the Facebook page do that this site doesn’t?
Is a very good point. It adds nothing so I’ve just unfollowed and blocked STW. Less a flounce, more just cutting the noise. Everything that is worth reading appears on the forum or came from here in the first place so I don’t lose anything
It’s fun though because we all already know that on facebook we are the product that is being sold and now we are being fattened up for the sale by being fed our own output (as it were). Feels all very BSE to me 🙂
I definitely never thought there was someone pressing a “Post this to leffboy’s timeline” button
oh… calls off hitman
and thanks Mark for the explanation. We do get it, it just gets tedious seeing the same stuff all the time but it’s easy to fix so it’s done.Posted 5 months agochestercopperpotMember
Set up a profile with the tag line LØØk @ ME I ist Amaze.
– Model pose profile pic standard
– Make sure you eat out at least five days of the week, ok seven
– Post pics/selfies of every meal and drink (extra points for massive elaborate firework cocktails) you have with GPS links to your whereabouts
– Selfies in various outfits, fancy dress (today I’m sexy cat meeeowww) and make up that only took you a few minutes to sort
– Tattoo your body from head to toe, obviously post videos of it being done
– Be outraged about everything, especially animal rights, save the cockroaches please, not really only the cute furry ones with doe eyes that make good pets
– Post pics and vidoes of all your days out escape rooms, trampoline land, Chill Factor that kind of thing
– Repost self affirming/life affirming/rousing quotes, self help brothers and sisters I feel your pain
– Handbag dog pics, lots of, awww so cute she can’t breath coz of inbreeding
– Get at least one nordic letter in your name
– Any celebrity that dies you are a fan of “I no u ok hun just had a moment too”
– Pretend you are not stalking other peoples lives
– Videos of you taking the bins out
– Pics of your many credit card bills
– Endoscope selfie of your bowels.
Ok the last three are bants, shits and giggles.Posted 5 months ago
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.