Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 10 Under Thread (and an offer of a lift)
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Who’s racing Ten Under the Ben this weekend then? It’ll be my first endurance race since the pandemic kicked off (I’d have liked to have done the GT7 too but somehow the goons put it on the same weekend, til 10 under was moved to the week after). My teammate just told me he hasn’t ridden an MTB in 3 months which won’t help things but I’m excited.

Does anyone want a lift from Edinburgh on Friday? I’ll head up early afternoon and probably bimble round Laggan on the way up.

DickBarton

Also heading up…riding as a chaperone but already team is fragmented as the plan was a single car, 3 bikes, camping gear and bodies, but the other adult doesn’t think she can stomach my crap chat for the journey so she is driving herself (never mind extra fuel costs or environmental impact – clearly my chat is bad enough to warrant emptying a wallet and killing nature – given we were married and now not, I can understand the lack of interest in the 1 car!).
    Looking forward to it but I suspect there won’t be any competitiveness about it, just riding our bikes and having a laugh.

GavinB

I’m heading over with some younger riders, who were meant to be doing it a couple of years back. I need to chaperone two out of the four, but the issue is, over the last two years, they’ve got pretty rapid, so I think I might well be the weakest link now! Looking forward to it though – weather is looking reasonable although think the midges will be fierce.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rents
    Free Member

im riding around for ten hours on Saturday. I hope the weather is kind. It should be as Mountain mayhem is on the same time and that event always summons the entire UK’s quota of rain

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve seen better weather forecasts but I’ve seen far worse so I’ll take it.

Had a little bit of a scary moment yesterday when my teammate messaged me to say he’s dislocated his shoulder! Fortunately I’ve managed to find someone daft enough to do it with me at no notice.

Give me a wave if you see me – I’ll be on a pale blue Trek hardtail looking like I’m taking it way too seriously.

beamers

So how did it go for everyone?

First time at the event for me, riding as a pair.

That weather was insane! No heatwave at Fort Bill.

Weather aside, how does it compare with previous Ten Unders organised by No Fuss events?

munrobiker
    Free Member

We, well, we won Men’s pairs. 😬😁

I’ve been doing Ten Under for fourteen years now and I’ve been fourth lots but didn’t just crack the podium this time, actually topped it. The racing was bloody tight – we were third early on, chipped our way up and then started every lap with our nearest rivals. Then on the third to last lap my teammate let the team behind past and I had to haul them back, then he had to keep them at bay. Just what you want from a race.

Organisation was the same as ever really but that’s because one of the No Fuss guys always worked at Nevis Range and is still involved. The course was the best I remember, savage but with more good descents. The cafe stopping serving food early on Friday and before racers had even finished on Saturday has always been the same but that doesn’t make it any less shit and I’m surprised they haven’t learned from it.

On the whole, delighted with my weekend.

DickBarton

Very quiet and didn’t have the usual atmosphere – car park was busy but not full…the riders seemed to be enjoying it and the course seemed better than the last one I rode (think I did the last one with that awful fireroad climb from main road up to the first descent before going through tunnel at village).
    One team member got lost as there didn’t appear to be any tape at a marshall point and the marshall had gone to find a quiet tree for a pee (although we weren’t in the running for anything so no real loss).
    Weather was odd – sunny and very windy or raining and then about half 4 is got properly wet.
    Hopefully next year’s will be better attended, I think the low numbers left it a bit flat.
    Cafe prices were on the rich side as well but I can’t really complain as I’d decided I’d get my main food from there so had no choice and being the only place there it is a captive audience – food was tasty though, so it wasn’t daylight robbery for crap stuff, but it did feel a bit high (again, more a reflection on me as I don’t tend to eat out so no idea what the going rate is for stuff).
    Some impressive lap times throughout the 10 hours!
    Congrats @munrobiker, well fought as I know the riders who came 5th and they were putting in serious efforts and times as well!

beamers

@munrobiker – I’m sure your team mate is making plans to match your pace next year. 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

He has categorically stated he’s never doing it again. Apparently glory isn’t sufficient reward for the suffering 🤷‍♂️😉

beamers

In your dreams Munrobiker. 🤣

rents
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it😀 the course was tough but fun. It was the first time I had zip tied a number on in 8yrs after entering two weeks ago to help out a local charity Outfit Moray who deliver Adventure training an Bike Ability across moray.https://www.gofundme.com/manage/neils-10-hour-shift-for-outfit-moray
    It went really well. I just sat in for the ride and in the end came 2nd in the sole vet cat with 10 laps😂
    My Garmin has short changed me though. When I look at the course profile the two big climbs get shorter each from lap 3 onwards?
    Overall a great day on the bike and hopefully it will be back next year 👍

rents
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it😀 the course was tough but fun. It was the first time I had zip tied a number on in 8yrs after entering two weeks ago to help out a local charity Outfit Moray who deliver Adventure training an Bike Ability across moray.https://www.gofundme.com/manage/neils-10-hour-shift-for-outfit-moray
    It went really well. I just sat in for the ride and in the end came 2nd in the sole vet cat with 10 laps😂
    My Garmin has short changed me though. When I look at the course profile the two big climbs get shorter each from lap 3 onwards?
    Overall a great day on the bike and hopefully it will be back next year 👍

beamers

@Rents – I thought I recognised you but couldn’t be sure, until I heard your name when you were called to the podium.

Cracking result for your first event in 8 years.

Ref your Garmin shortchanging you on the elevation its due to the barometric pressure port (tiny hole underneath) getting blocked by water / mud. Mine does that. Strava will correct the elevation for you though. If you want.

rents
    Free Member

Beamers! i thought it was you that i recognised in the cafe after the event but likewise wasn’t sure. Are you still in the Army?
    Great to see you again! Do you still have your Orange Sub? That was a nice bike.

beamers

Nope, I left in 2013 and settled in Inverness. Still in the ACU though, as a veteran.

I’ve still got the Sub3, although its now in retirement. It’s last outing was the Puffer in 2018.

I’m riding an Orbea Oiz now and the difference’s between that and the Sub 3 are night and day!

DickBarton

Anyone else see the Deviate in yellow with the red highlights and Lion Rampant? Looks. a stunning colour scheme – I haven’t seen that colour scheme before but it looked awesome.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think I passed it when it was being pushed up the nasty climb out of the car park – I can’t say I like yellow bikes but the Deviates do look good.

I was getting a lot of bike envy for the Cannondale Scalpels doing the rounds – a guy I was mashing round with was on one and I’d have murdered for some rear suspension on the descents.

DickBarton

Funny that, I saw one in the car park and thought it looks real nice – I do like the leftie…then as I passed it and saw the back end I went right off it…no idea why but it didn’t look as nice as a complete bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.