• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by E_G.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 10 under the ben aftermath
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

All recovered from yer heatstroke ?

What an awesome day !

Course was tough for ss. Steep ups and flowing spinny downs but i had a great day

The river was lovely and refreshing after each lap

Raddogair pulled another blinder partially fueled by folk not eing able to read te timing and telling him he was ony 15 minutes up !

What a weekend ! How was it for you ?

Dawnrazor
    Free Member

It was a awesome day.

The climbs were pretty brutal in parts and the high termperatures added to the suffering.

I must admit I enjoyed the saunter through the river 🙂

Big congrats to the solo winner though, keeping times like those in the sweltering conditions was a remarkable effort.

kinger

First time at the event and really enjoyed it, bit toomuch fireroad maybe but well organised and a good vibe.
    Am sure I’ll be back 🙂
    Stu

crazy-legs

I did it in similar baking hot conditions a few years ago, loved it. Great event, just a shame I’ve never been able to get back up there to do it again. 🙁

tpbiker
    Free Member

oh dear..absolutely brutal. We road the lap on the friday evening when it was cool and it was a doddle, different story on race day!

My second lap in the midday sun was easily the hardest thing I’ve ever put my body through, from about half way round I couldn’t even change gear as even my thubs were seizing up..

It was a bit of a battle of attrition at the end, but was a fun day (when not on the bike) and given it was our first ever race we were reasonable happy with 22nd in the overall triples category (I think)

Not sure how you could do that as a solo however…insane!

alan_s
    Free Member

what an event! it was my first outing to something like that, well run, awesome atmosphere, super friendly riders and supporters, I’m sure the lack of rain helped too!

Climbing was brutal and fire road wasnt much better in the heat.

muchos respect to Mr Raddogair, felt suitably humbled to be beaten by an hour, especially given the state I was in afterwards. Shame 10@Kirr was cancelled as I sure that would be ace too.

radoggair
    Free Member

Great day, perfect weather.although the amount of hydration was immense. Never before have i drunk so much to a point where i would stop after the first climb by the water stop to drink 3 cups every lap extra. The climbs were mega steep as well, maybe 1 a lap but 2 was harsh considering the length of each one.

Anyway, a great day, great DJ and dancing women, everyone bar 2 people on the course were nice and met some old friends. Was so happy to finish my 11th lap and find out i had lapped everyone. Meant i could finish early :).

For those who took part, really well done. Remarkable in the heat and on that course.

3 in a row for me 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

11 laps…on your own…in that heat???? I genuinely struggle to comprehend that… given I did 3 and almost died!

Big respect!

radoggair
    Free Member

tpbiker. You want to improve. Easy…………. join bloody strava. Its addictively annoying yet loveable, yet hateable. Aarrgghhh, i need the KOM 🙂

stevemtb
    Free Member

Congrats Radoggair, that’s a mental amount of laps. Did 3 each as a pair then agreed with the other pair we were racing with to call it quits, would have managed 4 or 5 but struggled in the heat on my first lap!

Anyone going to own up to being the muppet to take the wrong turn on the first lap that about 200 of us other muppets blindly followed? Two miles downhill that we had to come right back up 😡 😳

Great weekend though 😀

Strava think only works if you have a chance of being quickest though Radoggair, every one I look at I know I’ve got no chance!! Have to start one of my own I think for a brief moment on honour 😆

carbon337
    Free Member

A friend crashed on lap one and ended up in hospital. Came off on a fireroad descent whilst not concentrating apparently.

Anyone see him/crash? Bright orange Breeze Bikes jersey? The pics of him on the hospital bed dont look nice.

Alek
    Free Member

Terry – Were you there. Damn……never saw ya man.

Had a great day and first competitive ‘vets’ race so to finish 2nd was a result for me after a year out. Sterling effort by all soloist’s in that heat.

Radoggair…..you made me feel my age on that last lap after passing on the final decent. Asked you how it was going to hear lap 11, near ended me. Your mate had a good one too, just too good for me on the day even if I did do another lap. See you guys around I’m sure:-) Whats next?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Saw you on de podium alek

I was in a trio after a similar year off the bike…..not quite solo standard ….. Next time perhps !

Next time !

Alek
    Free Member

Bailed as soon as….I’m afraid. Still had a 2hr journey home! And that was as difficult as the racing 🙂

Relentless this year?

davidrussell
    Free Member

Anyone see him/crash? Bright orange Breeze Bikes jersey? The pics of him on the hospital bed dont look nice.

Carbon – I saw him being helped off his bike when he returned to the pits with pretty much his whole right leg bandaged and most of his forearm. Also spoke to him after the event where he looked stiff and sore but in good spirits. Apparently he clipped a rear wheel at 35mph on the last fireroad descent (which was blisteringly fast)and ate gravel. Cracked his helmet in 3 places but knee / forearm bore the brunt apparently. He was particularly not looking forward to a 6 hour drive the next day.

I have to say it was the 2nd time i attended and i enjoyed it immensely. i put 4 laps in and all were within 3 minutes of each other, so my pace was consistently ok.

i was taking on 2-3l of nuun juice each lap though (i normally drink a lot when riding), so for once cramp wasn’t a factor. must have been one of the few who needed to stop for a pee mid way round…

carbon337
    Free Member

yep that was Mark the pics are impressive.

Basically burn his whole right leg and right forearm, really nasty although a few club members are already interested in a slightly crash damged Giant Anthem

Alek
    Free Member

Anyone know who was taking photos at the event?

E_G

Alek

The official* photos were taken by a couple of guys from Sportograf, who came over from Germany.
    I was speaking with Frazer and the guys before the prize giving – they were expecting to get all photos online Sun/Mon.

The link to photos is http://www.sportograf.com/en/shop/event/1509 but it says individual photos aren’t online yet.

* there were possibly other photographers out. I recall one located at the tunnel at the top above Torlundy (where the excellent medic bandaged me up!). Don’t think he was with the Sportograf guys!

EG

E_G

Photos now online at link I posted earlier. When browsing their limited selection previously, it said they’d taken 10,000 photos!

Maybe that’s why they weren’t ready sooner!

Some good photos there…..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘10 under the ben aftermath’ is closed to new replies.