Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 10 Under the Ben
  • gazza100

Anybody doing this in May or done it before? Looking to enter the solo class but a bit unsure what to expect.

iainc

doing it as a 4. great fun, nowt too technical ,mental midges 😛

trail_rat
    Free Member

done it solo twice – expect to ride your bike for 11 hours and high temperatures if frazer has his way

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruneep

yup I'll be there team bald and balder 🙄

not sure which one I am tho

Northwind

Looks like I'm doing it as part of a 3, my first time, I'd sooner do 10 At Kirroughtree but can't go 🙁 Should be good. Though it'll take AGES to set the Soul up as a race bike, I'll have to wind the fork down to 100mm

bruneep

Though it'll take AGES to set the Soul up as a race bike

It's a race 😯

AntM
    Free Member

I'll be doing it again solo. Very, very hot last 2 years- take and drink lots of energy drink to replace the loads you will lose in sweat. Great atmosphere, loads of other friendly riders and a very good course. ENJOY 😀

Northwind- i should be on my Soul also, I'll keep a lookout for you!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry thought you were on about ben10, my son loves that

boxelder

Expect to be tired. There's not that much climbing (steep anyway). You can stash a bag/box of kit and food etc at the transition area (solos have a separate lane. There's good long fire road sections where you can eat (unlike K'Tree). It's never as hot as folk claim. The first lap will be 4-5 miles longer than expected and every other lap is over 11 miles!
    There'll be a bunch of blood thirsty spectators below the rocky drop. You get to go up the gondola for tea on the Friday. It's ace.

swavis

I've done it four times, twice as a quad and twice as a pair. Absolutely fantastic event, really laid back with emphasis on enjoying yourself.

Oh and you'll cook if it's anything like the last couple of years 8)

Diane
    Free Member

Hot

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Doing it as a 3. Team 'Fire and Nice.' Me, a mate from work and Mrs McGrew.
    Did our first event ('puffer) this year and enjoyed it that much I signed us up for 10UTB.
    When are the camping passes on sale?
    I see 'The transition area' mentioned. Does this mean it's not like the 'puffer where you can base yourself from your camp?

Cheers

Paul

BoardinBob

see 'The transition area' mentioned. Does this mean it's not like the 'puffer where you can base yourself from your camp?

The transition area is at the base station for the Gondola.

The camp site was further down the road at the cattle market. The course does pass by it but if you stopped at the campsite that would be eating into your laptime.

I went up on the Friday last year and they wouldn't let me into the car park at the gondola station as I was camping so I set up my tent at the campsite and used that as my transition area.

In hindsight I wouldn't have camped at the official site. I would have camped at a site in Fort William and driven up to the transition area in the morning and parked my car there, using that as my supply point. Instead my car was boxed in at the campsite so I couldn't get it out and up to the transition area.

The official campsite is basically a boggy field with zero facilities. I think there were some portaloos but that was it. You'd definitely be better off in a proper campsite with proper facilities.

The actual course itself felt like about 70% fireroad/ 30% singletrack.

J0N
    Free Member

Obviously Boardinbob's first time.
    I've found the best thing to do re. camping is unload your car at the camp site, setting up your tent and sleeping kit then take the car down to the main carpark where it will be there with all your race kit come the morning.
    Go up the Gondola for dinner then cycle back up to the campsite to Drink and sleep as you see fit.
    Granted the camp site has been a bit moist in the past and a bit noisy for those that want sleep.
    Also agree that much of the course feels very fireroad based to make up the distance but the single track sections are good.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

You'd definitely be better off in a proper campsite with proper facilities.

Hmm, think I'll make a phone call to get my usual Fort William port of call. Thought the camping would add to the experience but somewhere with a roof, showers 'n' stuff will no doubt keep the wife happier. 😀

BoardinBob

Obviously Boardinbob's first time.

It was and therein lies the problem. I was also doing it solo.

I had emailed the organisers a couple of weeks before looking for the kind of information that would have avoided the situation I experienced but they didn't suggest anything like that. I turned up at the campsite about lunchtime and parked my car at the side of a fire road next to the field but pretty soon there was a line of cars parked behind totally blocking the road meaning there was no way out. There was nobody from the organisers at the campsite to give out any information about where to park etc and any other advice.

BoardinBob

Thought the camping would add to the experience

The campsite was good fun and as I was on my own I got taken in by a good bunch of guys and had a good laugh with them but it is just a big boggy field which created havoc with midges!

soulrider
    Free Member

The last 3 years have all been over 20degC all day.. I wonder if it can happen again.

heres hoping.

islander

Did solo last four years. Very long day, found the fire road stuff the hardest if hot as you get no shade and no breeze. Singletrack all good fun but try and pace yourself. Get there very early if you want your car near the course/transistion area. Last year was in overflow carpark which was actually fine as not that far of course and was shaded and quiet. Be prepared for big hold ups on first lap as things sort themselves out, after that you will be wondering where everyone is.

gazza100

So my options are: get camping gear sorted, drop the car off at the transition area and walk back OR stay in Fort William and drive up to the transition area in the morning?

iainc

looking forward to it this year, having not been since about 2007. What's the course like now ? – Rock Lobster 853 or Orange 5 are my options. did it on the hardtail last time which seemd about right but I think the route is a bit changed now ?

BoardinBob

With the amount of fireroad a hardtail is the best option. The singletrack wasn't challenging at all.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘10 Under the Ben’ is closed to new replies.