Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 10 speed upgrade – remind me…
  • MrGreedy

I currently have a 3×9 setup (all SLX) on my Cotic and am planning on changing to 10 speed (already 2×10 on my other MTB but I built that as 10 speed from scratch so no compatibility confusion).

As I see it, I’ll definitely need new rear mech & shifter, cassette and chain, but I’m not sure about the rest so here are some questions:

Will the front mech need changing?
    Will a 10 speed chain run on 9 speed chainrings?
    And if not, can I just put 10 speed chainrings on my existing cranks?

Thanks in advance and apologies for any moronic oversights in the above 😉

jonk

Thats all i changed on my recent upgrade, i even bought just one shifter to save a few quid.

tomhoward

Nope
    You can, but it won’t shift smoothly, and the chain will wear/snap faster
    Yep

MrGreedy

Thanks chaps, time to go shopping…

njee20
    Free Member

I disagree with Tom – no issues using 10 speed chain on 9 speed rings, folk have been doing it for years.

radoggair
    Free Member

and you dont technically need a new rear mech, just adjust the inner and outer screws to make it go further out/further in. Its the shifter that does the 10 spd!!

tomhoward

and you dont technically need a new rear mech, just adjust the inner and outer screws to make it go further out/further in. Its the shifter that does the 10 spd!!

Yes you do, the cable pull on the mech is different. Do try to keep up.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

^^ No it isn’t. 10sp cassette needs 10sp mech.

radoggair
    Free Member

^^^ funny, i’ve been running an 8spd mech on my 10 spd drivetrain for 6 months with no issues !!. Dont believe everything your told until you try it

tomhoward

Road bike/kit by any chance?

bigyinn
    Free Member

8spd / 9 spd MTB mechs have the same pull ratio as 10spd ROAD mechs, but 10spd MTB is different. IIRC

njee20
    Free Member

8spd / 9 spd MTB mechs have the same pull ratio as 10spd ROAD mechs, but 10spd MTB is different. IIRC

Correct!

martymac

all shimano mechs are the same geometrically, except for 8 spd dura ace and 10 spd mtb.
    anything other than those can be mixed and matched at will.
    the issue is the amount of cable pull per ‘click’ on the shifter.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And if not, can I just put 10 speed chainrings on my existing cranks?

Have a look how much replacement chainrings are – it’s probably cheaper to buy a new chainset and flog the older one…

takisawa2

I couldnt get 9spd mech to work properly with a 10spd shifter & cassette. Could dial in a few gears but ran out a bit at the extremes. And this was with new kit.

The concesus seems to be that 10spd mechs move a smaller amount per cable length pull than 9spd. I’m guessing the cable effectively pulls around a radius of some sort, & the rad is different from 8/9spd to 10spd.

Cant comment on front mech, as was going 1×9 to 1×10, but 9spd chainring worked fine.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s not so much consensus as ‘fact’ 😉

10 speed road is fine, that’s the same (although the front mech is subtly different on newer Shimano groupsets), but 10 speed MTB rear is unique. Although it can be bodged to work with 9 speed SRAM mechs (on a 9 speed block).

munrobiker
    Free Member

If someone says this again on this website I will personally ensure they can never ride a bike again.

No. You. Can’t. Run. 9. Speed. Mechs. With. 10. Speed. Shifters.

I have tried it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘10 speed upgrade – remind me…’ is closed to new replies.