10 speed shimano – is the cassette/freehub pattern the same?

Home Forum Bike Forum 10 speed shimano – is the cassette/freehub pattern the same?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 10 speed shimano – is the cassette/freehub pattern the same?
  • I am impressed that no one knows… good on you all for not being roadies.

Having said that, if you do know, speak up…

Premier Icon mugsys_m8
    Subscriber

I think the splines have stayed the same….

See I’m neither in one camp or the other

Basically I spend too much time up to my ears in one speed cogs and oily 1/8 chains (not just booze and hookers then), so much so I have not knowingly touched anything 10 speed. So I turn to the greatly informed yet lovely rabble that is the STW community… and ask…

Can I fit a standard 7-9 speed shimano pattern cog on a 10 speed shimano hub… are the freehub splines the same pattern? or in other words, can I single speed a ten speed?

Cheers….

simondbarnes

Some of the earlier 10speed shimano freehubs came with deeper splines that weren’t compatible with 8/9 spd cassettes. The reason for the deeper splines were that on the higher end hubs (ultegra & dura ace) they used an aluminium freehub body so the deeper splines were to help stop the cogs digging into the freehub. Shimano have since switched to a titanium freehub body with the old splines.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘10 speed shimano – is the cassette/freehub pattern the same?’ is closed to new replies.