Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 10 speed setup issue
  • dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Right ive just fitted 10 speed Dynasys XT cassette, XT Shadow rear derailleur, 10 speed SRAM chain and SLX shifter all 10 speed off course.

Done the obvious top and bottom setup, B screw adjuster etc, all OK and running perfect. When i start to shift up the gears the shifter is shifting once but the chain is skipping up two cogs at times. Im not even getting 10 gears from the shifter depending on cable tension im generally only getting 8 or 7……arrgghh. If i loosen the cable i get 9 shifts but i have to shift 3 times before the chain moves upto second cog.

Im wondering if you cant mix slx and xt ? or is it something else ?. Been setting up gears all my life without issue, however the is doing my head in…arrgghh.

Maybe bike shop visit on monday me thinks.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Which model mech are you using? Should say RD-M77 something.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

CS HG81-10 SLX Cassette
    SL M660-10R SLX shifter
    RD M772 GS XT Derailleur

4ags4
    Free Member

Is a M772 mech not 9 speed?

Zoolander
    Free Member

Isn’t the shimano 10 speed stuff designed for a shimano directional 10 speed chain? I could be wrong but perhaps it’s the sram chain that’s the issue?

18bikes

4ags4 is correct, 772 is a 9 speed shadow mech, you need773 for 10 speed.The cable entry and pull is very different

hth
    Matt

mrmo
    Free Member

i think you need a 773 rear mech, I believe the dyna-sys components are not compatible with the older parts, cassettes and cranks excepted.

TimT
    Free Member

I agree with mrmo. The chain is a problem, regardless of whatever other prob’s you have. Shimanio DynaSys chain is theonly wat=y to go …for now.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Just been on Shimano website and yes looks like ive got wrong derailleur….well that answers that one….cheers guys.

Will post when ive got correct one and set up.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

Chain will work fine, although they are optimised for the Shimano chain other brands work fine. It is just the mech that’s the problem.

curvature
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my Shimano chain that lasted less that 4 weeks before it snapped with a SRAM 1051 chain and it is way smother than the Shimano rubbish that came with the bike.

I was originally put off by 10 speed as i found the shifting to be a bit rough but that was obviously the Shimano chains!

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

I went for the 1050, i prefer SRAM chains. Been using SRAM chains for years and i find them smoother and far longer lasting.

parkesie
    Free Member

ive just put the shimano 10spd gubbins on my bike complete with shimano chain so far so good precise quick shifts easy to set up no more difficult than 9 speed.

steel4real
    Free Member

Ha Ha what a classic FAIL “been setting up gears all my life” and can’t even buy the right parts 🙄

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

In my defence ive checked my receipt and it clearly states M773, although ive got a M772……

I’ll let your wit slip this time.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

steel4real – Member

Ha Ha what a classic FAIL “been setting up gears all my life” and can’t even buy the right parts

Piss take FAIL.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘10 speed setup issue’ is closed to new replies.