Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10 speed rear mech gone 7 speed overnight
  • faz083
    Free Member

Removed my shifter windows yesterday on my SLX shifters (XT on the other end), and had a go up and down the index and all seemed fine (didn’t look too in depth but seemed OK shifting up and down). Go out for a ride today and it won’t go past the seventh sprocket downwards (smaller). It feels like the limit screw is stopping it (i.e it doesn’t feel broken, just feels like it’s meant to stop there).

When clicking through, there’s only 7 clicks and it stops 7 times, then no more.

This cannot be right?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Undo the cable from the mech and see how many clicks you get then. Remember 10 speed = 9 clicks. If you are still getting less than full clicks it is a shifter issue, perhaps something dropped into the shifter when you were removing the window?

faz083
    Free Member

could be – will check. Thanks for the tip.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sounds like the single speed goblins are nobbling your bike in their jihad of oneness, expect worse to come until one.

stevede
    Free Member

I had something similar last week, had a crash and then couldn’t get the top 2 or 3 on the cassette, took me a while to realise but when i got home i noticed i’d pulled the cable through a bit, loosened the bolt, pulled the cable back through and it solved the problem.

coatesy
    Free Member

Did you refit both screws that held the window, if so then you’ve probably screwed the redundant one in too far and it’ll be jamming up the internal mechanism.

belugabob
    Free Member

If Mister P’s suggestion reveals that the shifter is Ok, then you could check to see if a small pebble has become lodged in the rear mech – by the spring that is inside the bit that swings across. I’ve had this happen before.

faz083
    Free Member

coatesy has it in one – I had put in the screws holding the indicator back in to block up the holes, and that seemed to be stopping it.

However in my attempts to resolve it before realising this I have now royally screwed the indexing, and now when it’s in the lowest (10), it jumps to 8 instead of 9, then hangs between 2 and 1. I loathe playing with indexing mainly because my back aches like anything afterward as I don’t have a workstand, so end up lifting and bending and pedaling with one hand. Very irritating. Have had enough for tonight so will leave it.

What’s the solution with the bolts on the indicators then? I replaced the two long ones in the same holes they came out of, then there was a smaller one on the back of the indicator which I used to stick on the SLX cover. Now i’ve lost one of the screws as well. Do people just tend to leave them out then? I was worried about filling it with water.

coatesy
    Free Member

Just back them off a couple of turns, they’re a tight fit into plastic so won’t fall out.Won’t make huge difference if you do leave them out altogether anyway, could try a smidge of sealant in the holes if you do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10 speed rear mech gone 7 speed overnight’ is closed to new replies.