• This topic has 27 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by tang.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 10 speed chain recommendations?
  • d3fm3ch
    Free Member

After 15 months I think it’s time to treat my bike to a new chain. XT rear cassette and derailleur with a hope 32T chainring. Looking for one with a speed link. Any recommendations? Cost is a factor. Don’t want to go mental 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Connex, they’re probably the best chains, and they definitely have the best quick links.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wippermann-connex-10s8-10-speed-chain/

steve_b77
    Free Member

I rather like kmc x10’s

Northwind

KMC X10 for me, working a charm

J-R

+1 for Connex.

I’ve not used KMC so nothing bad to say about them, but I’ve used Connx for several years and found them to be reasonably long lasting and the quick connect is brilliant.

discoduck
    Free Member

I asked this a couple of months ago and the Masses said KMC and they were right, so far so good ! It wasn’t a top of the range on either more like their mid range one, I very nearly bought X2 and kept one clean and lubed ready to swap out,

Maybe next time ?
    But yes trust the masses,

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

This seems like the most cost effective KMC? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x10-el-silver-10-speed-chain/

RealMan
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I’ve used KMC quick links and they’re utter rubbish compared to connex.

I haven’t used a KMC chain, but a chain is a chain and they all pretty much do the same job.

discoduck
    Free Member

You’ve obviously not used a KMC Missing Link on a KMC chain then ?

Or am I reading your post wrong ?
    You’ve obviously not used enough brands of chain because a chain is not just a chain, and they do exactly the same job ? They’re just made differently, quality, tolerances, material etc !

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

KMC

Northwind

Nowt wrong with KMC quick links 😕 They do the job perfectly and easily, how is that utter rubbish?

RealMan
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with KMC quick links They do the job perfectly and easily, how is that utter rubbish?

Use a connex one, and it’s obvious.

tonyd

KMC here. Power link works very well IMO.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Realman’s fingers are obviously too weak. Bless 😆

Candodavid
    Free Member

KMC, from german websites

matt22
    Free Member

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/kmc-chain–x10sl/aid:416894

I just got my chain and cassette from Rose bikes, cheapest I found it and got a suprise free bowl, very random suprise.

KMC make millions of chains I imagine they make shimano and sram chains. I’m on my 2nd one and can really recommend them as there the lightest I’ve seen and held. You dont really need them but I got the power link spliter and connector tools from superstar pretty cheap

Northwind

RealMan – Member

Use a connex one, and it’s obvious.

Used one. Both did the same job, in almost exactly the same way, equally well. Though I did fit the connex upside down once while not paying attention, that was annoying.

DanW
    Free Member

KMC X10SL, £25 from the ‘bay

Light, strong, last forever, shifts well. Can’t ask for more

cubemeup
    Free Member

Good deals on crc SRAM 1031 £15 and 1051. £20

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Kmc for me, although I’ve found the gold colouring on my most recent sl has started to wear off after a couple of months.

eshershore
    Free Member

KMC make 2 million chains a DAY

they make chains for many “other brands” in the bike industry

they also make many chains for heavy industry and machinery

its safe to say they ‘know something’ about making chains

just bought a KMC X10-SL for £25 for rebuilding my 29’er, last one lasted since Jan 2012 so no complaints here..

deadkenny
    Free Member

KMC by miles.

SRAM chains snap easily and 10 speed power links can’t be reused.

Shimano chains snap, only work one way, and have fiddly pin things to join them.

KMC Missing Links are reusable and they work fine, though sometimes can be stubborn to remove but then I found the same with SRAM on 10 speed. The important thing is they stay in place and the chain won’t snap anyway so you’re only ever using them to join a new chain, or remove for cleaning, fitting new mech. That or to fix someone else’s non KMC chain 😉

Can’t comment on Connex though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had good experiences of Sram chains which if I recall correctly were the Sachs chains of old. Shimano chains for me have been utter rubbish.

I’m using a mid level 19 Speed Sram chain which I got cheap from Rose bikes and it’s wearing well (not that u check them, I just wait until the shifting is rubbish and do the chain and cassette at the same time). My only bug bear is that the 10 speed power links can’t be reused, for this reason alone I’ll give KMC or Connex a shot next time.

themoodster
    Free Member

i’ve found kmc missing links to be very sloppy on SRAM chains, but a SRAM 9 speed powerlink works fine on a SRAM 10 speed chain 🙂

rhayter

Fitted my first KMC chain a few months ago and am very happy with it. It’s X10SL if I remember correctly. The connecting link comes apart and fastens easily enough, even when clagged with lube and mud (just needs a fairly stern twist before unclipping). I’d recommend it.

ransos
    Free Member

KMC works fine for me.

tang
    Free Member

Kmc or wipperman connex. I run both and do find the connex link easier to undo when all grimy.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chain recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.