Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 10 speed, chain options
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

bugger,
    as i understand it sram 10 speed chains now cannot be taken apart once they have been joined by their new power link.
    this is bad news as i often take my chain apart for cleaning.
    anyone know of any other 10 speed chains that use a “power link” type thing to easily break them apart.
    really starting to regret going for a 10 speed set up!

simondbarnes

Use a KMC quick link in the chain – they’re re-usable

sambob
    Free Member

Got a KMC chain, been good for the 3 months I’ve had it so far.

jonny-m
    Free Member

sambob ,which KMC chain you got?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these:

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=find&mo=view&id=600

Not cheap, but claimed to be long lasting & the link is easy to undo. Has been fine although using detergent on it is a no-no they say.

honourablegeorge

Just saw this, thought I’d pop off and get a few 10sp KMC links to keep in the bag for emergencies.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25439

Nine quid each? Seriously?

jonny-m
    Free Member

I think you get two sets for that price, which makes it not bad

njee20
    Free Member

Not cheap, but claimed to be long lasting

They lie. X10SLs are light, but longevity is poor IMO!

PowerLocks are about £5 each and single use, the KMC ones are better value!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got an SRAM 10 speed with their own power link and have been taking it apart using a park tools power link splitter tool then reusing the same power link when reassembling the chain. Done it a few times now and seems to work fine.

jonny-m
    Free Member

If your using a tool to take the chain apart then isn’t that missing the point. I want a 10 speed chain I can take apart easily for cleaning

njee20
    Free Member

And although it does come apart it’s not designed to. Power Links are already the weakest part of the chain, I’m not about to start making them do something they’re not designed to!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

njee20 – I’ve been using 8/9 speed SRAM powerlinks for years and taking the chain off cleaning once a month or so without any issues. Are 10 speed that narrow and therefore that finnicky that you cant take them apart using a powerlink etc? Therefore 10spd is not useable for day to day mtb’ing.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve been using a 10 speed Shimano HG74 with a KMC ‘Missing Link’ for a while now and it’s been faultless, great sifting and no sign of wear

Wouldn’t have normally touched a Shimano chain given failures some years ago but I needed 116 links and that’s all I could find, turned out OK though

tang
    Free Member

Wipperman connex, great chain and comes with the link.

njee20
    Free Member

Are 10 speed that narrow and therefore that finnicky that you cant take them apart using a powerlink etc? Therefore 10spd is not useable for day to day mtb’ing.

No, but the 10 speed ones aren’t PowerLinks, they’re PowerLocks, they’re not designed to come apart, they are single use. Forcing them apart using tools isn’t all that sensible when KMC and Connex make reusable links IMO.

I’ve been using 10 speed for 2 years now, chain longevity is no different to 9 speed IME.

sambob
    Free Member

Sorry, i’ve got no idea. Was £30 i think though, if that helps.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If your using a tool to take the chain apart then isn’t that missing the point. I want a 10 speed chain I can take apart easily for cleaning

It is easy, the tool is a bit like a set of pliers that you use to split the power lock. They come apart as easily as the old 9 speed ones. I do it to clean the chain then reuse the same power lock when putting it back together. Been doing this for a few months and not had any problems.

Edit: Park tools master link pliers – cheaper ones are available in other colours!

njee20
    Free Member

But you’re only ever gonna have one problem, and it’ll likely lead to a testicle/stem interface or worse. I’ll continue to use one that’s designed to be reused 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

But you’re only ever gonna have one problem, and it’ll likely lead to a testicle/stem interface or worse. I’ll continue to use one that’s designed to be reused

I suspect it would be sensible to change the power lock link every few splits 😐

seosamh77
    Free Member

what happens when i 10 speed chain snaps? can you not just put it back together with a chain tool, like other chains?

njee20
    Free Member

I suspect it would be sensible to change the power lock link every few splits

Or just use a reusable one 🙂

what happens when i 10 speed chain snaps? can you not just put it back together with a chain tool, like other chains?

Yes, you can.

jonny-m
    Free Member

not sure the connex whipperman comes in a 10 speed with a “power link” type thingy

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Geez I’m getting more confused now… but from whats being said, I need to get one of these, a KMC Missing Link.

http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/products/connectors/missing_links/

I think the gold one would be best, spent ages in the past looking for SRAM’s link on the chain..

Cant think why you would want to use a non reusable one?

uplink
    Free Member

but from whats being said, I need to get one of these, a KMC Missing Link

That’s what I use without issue

honourablegeorge

Just picked up two on EBay for 10 dollars. Plenty of Hong Kong/Taiwan sellers doing them for cheap.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the gold one would be best, spent ages in the past looking for SRAM’s link on the chain..

Must admit I’ve never seen a choice in the UK – Chicken’s only do silver ones.

They’re pretty distinctive though, shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds to look at the chain!

uplink
    Free Member
    tang
    Free Member

my wipperman connex from crc came with link.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member
    seosamh77
    Free Member

Yes, you can.

ta, was clearly just picking things up wrong!

jonny-m
    Free Member

tang , 10 speed?

tang
    Free Member

yes 10sp

popartpoem
    Free Member

So far I’ve found both the SRAM & KMC 10 speed chains powerlocks really tough to separate.

I haven’t bought the tool described earlier as yet so, in the meantime, I feed a length of earth wire (stripped from household twin & earth) around either side of the link & twist the ends together using pliers until the powerlock pops open.

I’ve also refitted both many times after cleaning.

njee20
    Free Member

Not personally found the KMC ones any harder to do than any other reusable link.

Haze

I found the KMC a bitch to separate, bought the tool for a few quid to make life a lot easier.

(for a bit of balance)

uplink
    Free Member

I don’t find the KMC [or the preceding 9sp SRAMs] need anything more than a gentle squeeze and push

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘10 speed, chain options’ is closed to new replies.