Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 10-Speed Cassette & Chain Weights?
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Shimano HG62 11-36 10 speed cassette (the Doeore level I think). It tips my kitchen scale at 459 grams (including lock ring.

Do any of you know the equivalent weights for the SLX and XT versions?
    Tim.

P.S. Likewise the SRAM 10-speed chains. The PC1051 weighs 274g. (that’s with no links removed)

PC1071? and PC1091?

Cheers, Timmy

matther01
    Free Member

Timmy – just weighed my new XT – 338g – £45 from woolyhatshop.

I have a hg62 and never new the weight until you enlightened me…next upgrade on the HT me thinks!

TimCotic
    Free Member

Blimey that’s a bigger difference than I expected. However I paid £24.95 for the HG62 from Merlin. They had the XT and SLX for 39.95.
    Any more info?

matther01
    Free Member

10-36 is £53 from merlin

If your looking for a decent long lasting and low weight chain get a kmc. Mine was £22 and weighed 100g less than the SLX

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Guys – can you honestly tell the difference between 100g on your cassette when you’re riding your bike? Just asking out of interest.

matther01
    Free Member

Certainly noticed the acceleration difference between nearly a full lb between my old and new wheelset…so yes.

Small differences add up.

Had a + 2500g wheelset, now sub 2000g

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Just wondering mate, thats all. I could see noticing a half kg difference so suppose that 100-150g here and there all adds up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rotating weight is a lot more important than static weight. I’d be surprised that the weight of a cassette would make a significant difference to the ride.

crikey
    Free Member

Rotating weight is a lot more important than static weight

No it’s not; in bicycle terms, weight is weight.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped my deore, for an slx – deore on my kitchen scales is 412g, the slx (with a superstar lock ring) is 299g…

not sure how accurate my scales are, they are new though..

i can noticeably tell the difference on picking the wheel up.

superstar lockring 5g, shimano slx lock ring 11g

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Every gram counts when you’re looking to drop weight from a racing bike, 100g may not be much but find 4 things that weigh that and you’re near on a lb. Surprising where weight is hidden on bikes, my grips were over 100g heavier than the ones now on for e.g.

I know it doesn’t matter much to most people but I hate riding dog heavy bikes and lighter components in place of heavy ones that do the same job is a no brainer to me, as long as the cost is acceptable.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Well I’m not going to bother swapping to a superstar lockring LOL, but thanks for the tip on KMC chain. I’ve got a SRAM 1051 this time but next time I’ll give the KMC a try.

I am struck by the 120g difference between the HG62 and XT cassette though. I am just about to replace my knackered 11-36 SLX with the HG62 (experimental cost-saving measure) so I’ll weigh the old SLX and add the result on here later.

Cheers Peeps!

bigyinn
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Rotating weight is a lot more important than static weight

No it’s not; in bicycle terms, weight is weight.
    Granted, when the bike isn’t being ridden it makes no difference where the weight is.
    Try to accelerate the same bike with heavy set of DH wheels & tyres compared to lighter XC wheels and come back to me when you’ve worked out the difference in how it behaves.

matther01
    Free Member

Obviously before looking into bike weight loss…try actual body weight loss. I’ve lost 10lbs in the last 3 weeks and with my knackered knee, its really helping.

My main aim for getting the weight of the bike down is to make it more manouverable and with less strength needed (again due to my knee).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Indeed, probably the easiest and cheapest way of improving things for the bike and the rider.

br
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped my deore, for an slx – deore on my kitchen scales is 412g, the slx (with a superstar lock ring) is 299g…

What, a 10 spd 11-36 – that surprises me as an XT 9-spd 11-34 weighs 300g.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

What, a 10 spd 11-36 – that surprises me as an XT 9-spd 11-34 weighs 300g.

yes 10 speed 11-36, I can’t vouch for the accuracy of my scales, when i placed the deore one on, it started at 400g and crept up to 412g in the space of about a minute 😯 . . . .i put it down to whatever is living inside its bowels moving around . . !! 😀

the slx one was sharp as a tak though… 299 dead

I shall attempt to test scales tonight with bag of sugar or something of that ilk

TimCotic
    Free Member

Rather surprising variations.

I got: 375g for the SLX HG81 (inc lockring) and 459g for Deore HG62
    both at 11-36
    My kitchen scale is a John Lewis £13 digital btw (I did check it at work and it’s accurate to the nearest gram.

PS. The best way to be kind to your knee is probably to reduce the size of your chainrings.

tinsy
    Free Member

Dunno how relevant this is as its out of date news, but the XT cassettes of old were a million miles better at shedding the mud than the lesser ones because of the spider & ring setup is so different.

The same differences are what also brought the weight down.

More to choosing a cassette than weight alone, for me the extra mulah for the XT was worth it.

EIDT, I generally run any old thing now though as I dont take it as serious.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Cheers for that tinsy. Yes – you’re quite right: comparing the new HG62 with my old SLX shows the superior manufacture and mud-clearing of the SLX (and XT). I’ve saved myself £15 this time but this thread has opened my eyes to what I was getting for the extra £15.
    As mentioned earlier, Merlin currently have both XT and SLX at £39.95 and the HG62 at £24.95.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘10-Speed Cassette & Chain Weights?’ is closed to new replies.