• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 10 days in Fruita and Moab . What should we know before we go?
  • timnwild

We’ll be based in Fruita and doing day trips to the Moab trails. Want to pack in as many trails as possible. We’ll be doing all the famous Fruita ones, and The Whole Enchilada and Captain Ahab in Moab at a minimum, but it’s our first time riding in the area so I’m hoping for some tips.

What did you find out that you wish you’d known beforehand? Tyres, gearing, weather, bike choice, shuttles, good shops, all that.

Did you do any group or organised local rides?

Hit any trails that were less well-known but great? Or the opposite – any big-name rides you wished you’d not bothered with?

Any and all tips greatly appreciated.

ta

joemmo
    Free Member

it’s hot so get up early.
    It’s amazing scenery, take some time to just stop and appreciate it
    don’t crash into a cactus.

notlocal
    Free Member

Over the edge Fruita is a brilliant bike shop, friendly, knowledgeable staff, cool merch and next door to a coffee shop for breakfast. 2 breweries in town, one does food, the other will let you order Takeaway in. Hot tomato pizza is ace and also has a bar, or more upmarket the steakhouse owned by cattle farmers rocks.
    Trail wise just speak to ote staff and they will keep you right. Horsethief bench is a classic, Gunnies, zippity do da, pbs are all good.
    Moab is a few hours drive on the interstate, or longer if you take the Canyon into Moab for the views. Amasa back, Capt Ahab, etc etc, watch the heat and take at least 3 litres of water each as there’s little to no water on most trails. Poison spider bike shop will sort uplifts for you.
    Enjoy!

chevychase

Second the don’t hit a cactus remark. They can be *nasty*… 🙂

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I went last year and did Sedona, Grand Canyon, Moab and Fruita. I’d say do Fruita stuff first, we found we were so battered from six days at Moab that when we got to Fruita (which seemed to be smoother and more flowy) we were just too knackered to make the most of it.

Whole Enchilada, Navajo Rocks, Slickrock, Moab Brands, Amasa Trails were all good fun. Whole Enchilada is just *awesome*.

As stated above the shops in each town are a great source of trail information and a good way to drain your wallet too!!

Fruita brewery is great, and the Hot Tomato for ace pizza.

DavidB
    Free Member

Read up on the cryptobiotic soil and RESPECT it. So many riders don’t realise the damage they do in the area

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d want to stay in Moab for the Moab trails rather than drive in every day. From Fruita it is at around 90 mins. With loading up the car and traffic that’s getting on for 4 hours a day for travel. Moab is a nice little town with decent food and bars. Accommodation is expensive but probably worth it to save the drive. Its well set up for bikers and was easy to wing it. Take lights for a night ride. Other than that, have fun. Its awesome

nickc

2nd the “stay in Moab to do the Moab trails” option it’s not really that far, but its dull driving and will add a few unnecessary hours onto your day.

Use Chille Pepper Bike shop in Moab if you need stuff, Poison Spider is a bit Boutique. All the trails you think are going to be totally awesome in Moab; Poison Spider, Capt Ahab, Jackson, Whole Enchilada, Navajo Rocks …Are all totally awesome. Do the Portal, if nothing else just to scare the beejesus out of yourself.  Do slick rock, just so you can say you’ve done it. Echo DavidB comment about the soil; please respect it. Go watch the climbers, go stare at the rock glyphs.

Make sure you have Pizza in the Hot Tomato in Fruita.

markgraylish
    Free Member

“The Ribbon” in Grand Junction. You’ll thank me later! Superb trail. There’s a huge maze of other trails at the bottom if you want to extend your riding in GJ as well

markgraylish
    Free Member

Re: Whole Enchilada
    That really is time dependent. There’s a very short window between the snow clearing at the top and then restarting. I’ve been caught out by snow early October.
    Also, it’s a gong show. I was hiking some of the trails in that area and I saw around a dozen mini busses each with around 15 riders being dropped off at the same time. You won’t have the trail to yourselves!
    Shuttles won’t go high if it’s wet either, so choose your time wisely (and that would mean a stupidly early start time if driving in from Fruita).
    If weather is bad, and shuttles are only going up to Porcupine Rim trail, don’t bother as the best stuff is above and the majority of Porcupine Rim trail is just a very rough jeep road (it’s ok, I guess, but there’s better stuff to ride).
    Also, if it’s wet, check with shops as to which trails are wet weather friendly as some turn into very thick mud (so thick you can’t ride!)

vmgscot

I’d stay in each centre rather than travel and include Grand Junction.
    If short on time then skip Slickrock from a ‘famous trails’ list.
    We used Moab Cyclery for shuttle to Burro Pass and TWE and they were on-time, reliable, etc
    If you do drive from Fruita to Moab then go at least once down the 128 – especially if you have ever watched Vanishing Point 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I would still ride the Whole Enchilada even if you cant get to Burro Pass, the battered jeep road that makes up Porcupine Rim has amazing views down into Castle Valley and fun tech sections with short sharp drops and climbs. And the singletrack section down to the Colorado is a must ride IMO. You could just shuttle Porcupine Rim itself, but you’d miss Hazard County.

But if you’re lucky, you’ll get to ride the full trail including the Alpine climb and descent – it’s amazing, definitely the best trail I’ve ridden for the views and variety.

You dont say when you’re going, but if you can get there while Outerbike is on, then dont miss that.

We’e stayed in these apartments a couple of times, which were central and good value. Dont stay too far outside of Moab, it’s a small town but stretches a fair distance along the highway and you want to be walking distance from the breweries.

http://kokopellilodge.com/kokopelli-inn-towner

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Definitely stay in 2 centres.

Definitely ride at Grand Junction – the Ribbon is a must. Ride until you puke at Tabeguache/Lunch Loops. One of my pals spewed, ironically, his lunch.

Think about tough tyres. You don’t need a soft compound. The grip is incredible.

I always run out of water on the Whole Enchilada. No tactic I have tried works.

Ride the Magnificent 7 in a one-er, but go easy on the Portal. The deadly bits look so doable. Don’t.

Also think Rockstacker and Jackson Trail.

Ride early, return, shower, then sightsee.

IF YOU ARE OUT IN THE DESERT AND IT STARTS TO RAIN, STOP. The clay goes from damp to mega-clag in seconds, and you will be in big trouble. Avoid getting clagged by waiting out the rain, and waiting for it to dry up. It sounds like trial by ordeal, but when you are covered in clay, unable to stand, with a totally clagged bike whose wheels won’t turn that weighs 50kg, you’ll understand.

When the clay sets, you’ll need to mechanically clean your bike with a flathead screwdriver. It will go dark before you finish.

If you warn your friend not to drive off-road in the rain in his hire car, and he does, when he returns with tales of terror of getting stuck for hours, and finally being towed, by rednecks, tyres smoking from all the friction, back to the tarmac, feel smug. He’s going to need a bigger screwdriver.

jbvv
    Free Member

if you’re not American, brace yourself for the theme park that is Moab. it’s not a ‘nice town’ it’s a tourist mecca madhouse. it is very loud and over run by Trump buggies and extreme OHV. never forget mtb is a distant second to the motorhead crowd in Moab. which is not to say i didn’t love my recent vaca there, but it’s a an eye opener, as much of America is.

we didn’t ride Barlett Wash, and i totally regret it. big mistake. google it and see why. Moab is an amazing place, only in part for the riding. smaller shops are best. Double Down is awesome and will treat you like your LBS. Chilli Pepper is staffed by awesome people. many of the others are a far step down from these 2 IME of a couple weeks ago.

rone

Moab we stay in the Gonzo Inn. Good bike facilties, nice pool, breakfast.

Not cheap. But central – I rode to slickrock from there and Moab Brands. (8 mile ride or so on cycle route)

Take the car to Dead Horse Point. Easy-ish riding there. State park. Staggering views.

Food Milts and Zax near Gonzo.

Also we took the car a fair bit out and went to the Dinosaur trails which we fab and deserted. Can’t remember the name of them.

Chilli Pepper bikes were good for us and recently we used Poison spider too – We hired Ibis kit.

The place is fantastic. Get up early.

We go in summer so it’s not massively busy.

timnwild

So many trail options! Seems we’re accidentally there while Outerbike is on – can’t decide whether to leave it alone and wait for the trails to clear or get stuck in and demo a load of bikes. Pricey though.

Thanks for all the help and advice – spoilt for choice now.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Outerbike used to be a bargain. About $100 or so for unlimited demos for 3 days, shuttles to trail heads, 2 lunches and even a few beers.

kcr
    Free Member

I concur with everyone else about staying near the trails you are riding. Commuting from Fruits to Moab would be a real waste of your holiday time.

If short on time then skip Slickrock from a ‘famous trails’ list.

Someone always says that! I thought Slickrock was great fun, and you’d have to really short on time to gain anything by missing it. It’s not that long, and close to town, so you can easily do it as an evening ride.

Bartlett Wash was good fun to play around on, and I also really enjoyed Fruita. If Over The Edge are still selling the same heavy duty T-shirts, they are an investment. Mine is still going strong 18 years later!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘10 days in Fruita and Moab . What should we know before we go?’ is closed to new replies.